Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Re: Old School Boxset Review

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:03 am

Thanks, Greatly appreciated,

Although I did look on Dennis' site but don't see and contact info, just a sign up to recieve emails, nothing that would go to hid email address.
Remember The Coop !!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Old School DVD Review

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:10 am

tommystooge wrote:There is a very interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine on Alice and the Nightmare tour.
Rolling Stone magazine is as reliable as a three dollar bill sent in Alice's birthday card on Xmas day.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:17 am

tommystooge wrote:I'm sure it's all water under the bridge now, but it would be nice to here from the guys about the breakup because it was a GLARING omission for sure.
Not meaning to tread on your post here and I mean no offence really, but maybe the purpose of the DVD (and the whole box set) is to celebrate what the five guys accomplished and to focus less on what caused it to implode. Like so many have said in other threads, the likelihood of a definitive answer to the break-up question is perhaps slim to none at this stage.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

GNDM

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by GNDM » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:24 am

tommystooge...I don't see why you want Dennis (or anyone for that matter) to verify anything. You seemed to have formed an opinion already. Is it THAT important to you that your opinion be verified/re-enforced by someone else?

What difference does it make what happened? [But I guess your statement that you work in TV kind of answers that...slinging mud is probably right up your alley.]

BTW....Glen lived for 20 some years after the split. Janice said she got a lot of different reasons from Glen as to the "why"...which one did he have when he died? I don't know - it appears you do however. (in YOUR mind).

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:25 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
tommystooge wrote:I'm sure it's all water under the bridge now, but it would be nice to here from the guys about the breakup because it was a GLARING omission for sure.
Not meaning to tread on your post here and I mean no offence really, but maybe the purpose of the DVD (and the whole box set) is to celebrate what the five guys accomplished and to focus less on what caused it to implode. Like so many have said in other threads, the likelyhood of a definitive answer to the break-up question is perhaps slim to none at this stage.
I totally agree, let's celebrate thr greatest band ever, but if we are going to omitt the other's opinions let's leave Alice's out as well, as every time he tells it it's a different take. Although I will agree on one thing Alice truly is a team player and has never taken anything away from what the others did for the band and I know he didn't really want to breakup the band...but shit happens...so on the other side of the coin...I love the boxset and I love all the demos and rehearsals, I love hearing the guys discuss things in the studio, especially when Alice comments that Bob is wrong about an arrangement for My Stars...classic
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 am

GNDM wrote:tommystooge...I don't see why you want Dennis (or anyone for that matter) to verify anything. You seemed to have formed an opinion already. Is it THAT important to you that your opinion be verified/re-enforced by someone else?

What difference does it make what happened? [But I guess your statement that you work in TV kind of answers that...slinging mud is probably right up your alley.]

BTW....Glen lived for 20 some years after the split. Janice said she got a lot of different reasons from Glen as to the "why"...which one did he have when he died? I don't know - it appears you do however. (in YOUR mind).
No it doesn't have to be re-enforced or verified it would be nice to hear from the other guys about something...even if it was just to say it just happened and that was that.

My comment about what I do was in reference to how things work technically, not anything about slinging mud... :p
Remember The Coop !!

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:09 am

"I can't believe after 40 years they still aren't allowed to talk about it."
I have heard, and read in print, Neal and Dennis several times in recent years contradicting many of Alice's accounts on various aspects of the band. Yet, he has had them both on his radio show and has worked with them, so I don't think it is accurate to say they aren't allowed to talk abou it.

"I also think Mike didn't say much because he has been paying for it for writing his book many years ago and if he wants anything to do with Alice Cooper it's best to not say anything. I'm sure he's exausted being shut down at every turn, poor guy is just unlucky."
While I appreciate having Michael's book I don't consider it more accurate than Me, Alice on many things. He may have simply been content to let other talk. I would not be surprised if none of the guys were that shocked to hear Alice give one of his exagerations (re Hendrix) that he is prone to.
I think Alice's reluctance (if he has any) to work with the original members to a larger degree is more about the fiancial realities and the logistics of making an extensive project like a full tour viable (although that would be my desire).

"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Old School Boxset Review

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:41 am

>And I was hoping the truth would finally be told.

There is no "truth". There are only different versions of it. As pitkin88 wrote, there are many discussions here of that subject.

> then Alice started with his latest embellishment about how suddenly after all these years Jimi Hendrix is involved with the group,

Actually, Alice has been telling that story for a lot longer than you seem to think and for what may be the fourth or fifth time I have had to write this, Bob Ezrin addresses this in his piece to the camera.

>what happened to Cindy Smith and Shep being in her clothing store and her telling him her brother was in a band??

You answer this own question in your post.

>why are the others not allowed to discuss this?

This was ALREADY discussed here and I would suggest you follow the recommendation that pitkin88 gave you.

> and they couldn't include the other guys comments, baloney.

No it isn't. The band had gathered together to appear at the "Christmas Pudding" show. There was literally no time to cover everything in any detail because there were other commitments.

>he even comments on the ridiculous Jimi Hendrix story and tries to put credit where credit is due...to Cindy Smith...

So whats your problem?! Bob and others (including myself) wanted to make sure that she was referred to and that's what we did!

>I just wish after 40 years Alice would let the o
other guys speak...

You are commenting from an uninformed postition. I have seen the footage that was left out and everybody contributed. That's like saying that Dennis didn't allow Neal and Michael to contrubute during the segment when they (without Alice) are interviewed.

>Peace

Thanks. You too.

>and I hope everyone is enjoying the boxset as much as I am

It sure doesn't sound like it. I'm joking, of course.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:11 am

>and the shooting of the 3 guys was done proffesionally, so I can't really see how all of a sudden there was a problem right at that exact moment.

I believe Bob was referring to the interview with himself and Alice, not the interview that the band did seperately.

>And then we have Alice and Bob in a studio control room, which is filmed with a monkey operating the camera,

Those were the technical issues he referred to.

>I truly believe their comments were left out because it would show Shep, Alice and Bob in a totally bad light,

That is nonsense. They had nothing to do with the editing. I personally spent about twenty hours 'editing' the documentary with the editor and the people you name were never present.

>I also think Mike didn't say much because he has been paying for it for writing his book many years ago and if he wants anything to do with Alice Cooper it's best to not say anything.

That is beyond ridiculous.

> I'm sure he's exausted being shut down at every turn, poor guy is just unlucky.

You seem to be "sure" about a lot of things but corrct about little, though.

>I can't believe after 40 years they still aren't allowed to talk about it.

Again, that's nonsense. Go and read the many interviews over the years that Michael, Dennis and Neal have given.

> so here was a chance to dump the other guys and take Alice and try and make some money.

Unfortunately for you, the arithmetic does not support your assertion. I can't and won't go into any details, but you're going to have to trust me on that.

> Dennis just sits there quiet when alice starts spewing this rubbish...

Is it not possible that both stories are true? Again, this has been discussed in at least one other thread.

>Even Bob Ezrin apologises in no uncertain terms on his intro to the dvd and tries to give credit to Cindy Smith,

Again, this has been addressed at the other thread, but what you don't know is that she wasn't really referred to very much in the interviews. That's why we wanted to make sure she got some credit and that's why Bob referred to her. She was very important. How about giving us a little credit for making absolutely sure that neither she nor Glen were ignored?!

>There is a very interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine on Alice and the Nightmare tour.

For someone who is interested in the truth, you seem awfully quick to pick and choose your sources.

>The pics in the book are great, although most of Lonn Friends text is just from the dvd,

I would have to check but that appears to be an exaggeration. Lonn's first few drafts were much longer but the amount of text had to be reduced to allow more images to be used.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:12 am

>but if we are going to omitt the other's opinions

They weren't though.

> let's leave Alice's out as well,

How is anyone going to make a documentary then?

>as every time he tells it it's a different take

That's blatantly false.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 am

>the likelihood of a definitive answer to the break-up question is perhaps slim to none at this stage.

Yes, exactly, especially as one doesn't really exist.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:18 am

>Yet, he has had them both on his radio show and has worked with them, so I don't think it is accurate to say they aren't allowed to talk abou it.

That's a great point.

>While I appreciate having Michael's book I don't consider it more accurate than Me, Alice on many things.

Again, a great point.

> He may have simply been content to let other talk.

Yes, he seemed perfectly happy to do exactly that.

>I would not be surprised if none of the guys were that shocked to hear Alice give one of his exagerations (re Hendrix) that he is prone to.

I wouldn't assume there's a huge amount of embellishment going on. Why can't both stories be true?

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:56 am

Jesus!! I need a cigarette.. I'm wore out.. Wayyyyyyy to much is getting read into this.. Can't we just enjoy the boxset without being a critic on every little detail. I refuse to let my life be consumed by this. Again, there are some people to worried of the going's on in the Cooper Camp. I mean should'nt that be the business of Alice and the group?

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 am

>I mean should'nt that be the business of Alice and the group?

You would think so.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I think Alice's reluctance (if he has any) to work with the original members to a larger degree is more about the fiancial realities and the logistics of making an extensive project like a full tour viable (although that would be my desire).

You hit the nail on the head, it is definitely a financial reality, and of course it would be my desire as well...although why bring Steve Hunter out on tour? Why give him a break and tour with the new band? When I saw the show, initially excited that he was going to be there, was embarrassed by it as he looked like he was struggling through the songs and didn't really add anything musically to the evening. He also looked totally out of place...Dennis on the other hand would have fit perfectly, although I understand he can't tour with one original member and not the others.

Perhaps like Iggy, who first did 3 songs with the Stooges on one of his albums before doing a complete new Stooges album, Alice will do the same. Finally doing the one last album he promised the others in 1974. When you watch the band at the Golden Gods performing BDB, it sounds just like 1973, they sound like no other, any band Alice has had since doesn't come close to sounding like that...
Remember The Coop !!

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:> Does anyone know where and when the backstage footage, where Alice gets his boa constrictor out of the box, was filmed?

That was from the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, during the "School's Out" tour.
Thanks for the info, Andy!
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:46 pm

tommystooge wrote:When I saw the show, initially excited that he was going to be there, was embarrassed by it as he looked like he was struggling through the songs and didn't really add anything musically to the evening.
He didn't add anything musically? He's one of the two lead guitar players.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Andy, Janice and I have a question about a picture in the "Yearbook". Page 5....what school is that? Is it just a stock shot of an "old school"? There are some older schools like that in Phoenix - but it isn't Cortez High School. Actually, the picture 'works' better than a shot of the rather bland looking Cortez.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:03 pm

I opened a can of worms. I didn't realize how touchy of a subject this was going to be. Personally I've never discussed the topic of the bands break up with anybody. I'm the only diehard Alice Cooper fan I know. The few fans I do know could care less that there was once an original band. I hope everyone realizes that my original review was pretty glowing and positive. I would rather have this DVD like this than to not have it at all. But we spent most of the time going back and forth about the one thing I wished was different. Go figure
Anyway, I listened to "Treasures One" a couple times. And I'm amazed at how good this stuff sounds. My expectations were low to be honest. But this CD just blew me away. The Chicago Underground stuff is worth its weight in gold. 11:00 minute version of Eighteen is priceless. I always complained there wasn't enough Alice on harmonica. I got my fill here. Fields Of Regret, one of my favs, is also priceless. Is there more stuff from this show laying around?
The Demos sound much better than I expected. The radio-ads are cute. I would have preferred more songs. Someone on here said there is a demo of Field Of Regret from the Love It To Death sessions, if I remember correctly. I personally would have loved that. I'll give the "Treasures One" CD a 9 on a scale of 10. Excellent.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:08 pm

tommystooge,

The suggestion has been made several times that you put in a little research on your current "topic du jour" - the breakup. It is a good suggestion.

Please accept this as a helpful hint. Since you are new here, I would like to make you aware that Sickthings is not your average (normal?) fan site. There are a lot of people here that have a vast amount of knowledge about Alice Cooper, the ACG, and the individual band members. There are even some here that know more about the history of Alice Cooper than Alice himself....and I say that only half jokingly. Your current topic of interest has been discussed often and, as I hope you have surmised, there is no definitive answer. I strongly suggest that you do a little research into the comments that Dennis and Neal have made about the breakup. They have spoken about it, which is something you should have probably known before hand.

As for Steve Hunter, seemed like he did just fine at the Pudding Show and in NYC.