Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:06 am

>I’m kind of stunned that almost nothing in his book was brought up.

Well, don't be. The documentary was not planned in advance with a 'script' or anything like that. The idea was for it to be a casual conversation between the band and also for them to follow the chronology in an approximate way. It was not meant to be some kind of definitive Alice Cooper documentary.

>Maybe some of it was

No. He spoke very little during this.

> The whole interview, however, kind of flows the way he writes about it in his book.

Well, that's nothing surprising. You start at the beginning and finish at the end, which is what makes sense.

>. I know Bob Ezrin says they had technical issues and ran out of time but come on. How do you not have the band talk about Muscle of Love?

They did indeed run "out of time" and there was no way around that.

>I wonder if it was done on purpose

I can assure you it was not.

>At least according to Mike’s book.

You're putting too much importance on it. I'm not sure that even Michael still thinks his autobiography tells the story in the most accurate way. It was from his perspective and nothing more than that.

> On a scale from 1 to 10, I’ll give the DVD an 8.

That's very appreciated. Thanks.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:49 am

homerx wrote:Yeah I guess there is a lot Of B$B stuff out there wasn't aware of the quad LP set may have to look into that. Have the DVD's and deluxe CD. Still hoping to find the DVD-a cheaper.
Musically the only tracks that offer something really different on the Quad disc (the DVD-A used the Quadrophonic mix) would be Raped & Freezing which has a different lyric "Alone with a bloody nose" instead of "Alone down in Mexico" and I Love The Dead which has some excellent extra lead guitar. The rest is more or less just a different mix and a different ending on Generation Landslide and isn't as good as the standard release in my opinion, you can't improve on perfection!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:22 pm

I guess the reviews don't deserve their own thread. Sorry about that. I'll keep the rest of them here.
A_MichaelUK wrote:> The whole interview, however, kind of flows the way he writes about it in his book.

Well, that's nothing surprising. You start at the beginning and finish at the end, which is what makes sense.
That's not what I meant. I was pointing out how interesting it was that in his book he states how Alice was being pulled away from the band. And in the DVD all of a sudden almost at the same point in time that happens the band is in a room by themselves and Alice is with Bob for the rest of the way. And finally when we get to probably the most controversial point in their careers the band is gone. Maybe it was a coincidence but since I just read Bruce's book it kind of sticks out.
A_MichaelUK wrote:They did indeed run "out of time" and there was no way around that.
I'm sure if they felt it was important they would have made it happen.
A_MichaelUK wrote: putting too much importance on it. I'm not sure that even Michael still thinks his autobiography tells the story in the most accurate way. It was from his perspective and nothing more than that.
His perspective is important when it comes to telling the story. It can't just be Alice, Shep and Bob's all the time. And even though Michael was quiet, and I'm wondering about his state of health as well, I'm sure Dennis would have had a lot to say about the Muscle Of Love period.
A_MichaelUK wrote: On a scale from 1 to 10, I’ll give the DVD an 8.

That's very appreciated. Thanks.
You are very welcome. You guys did an outstanding job on this box. And I don't want to harp on the one or two things in the DVD that were disappointing. It was great overall.

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:28 pm

I watched the DVD last night. Amazing stuff! Does anyone know where and when the backstage footage, where Alice gets his boa constrictor out of the box, was filmed? A very short snippet of this footage was used in the Behind The Music documentary (during the end credits), and I've been wondering where does it come from.
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:34 pm

That's not what I meant. I was pointing out how interesting it was that in his book he states how Alice was being pulled away from the band. And in the DVD all of a sudden almost at the same point in time that happens the band is in a room by themselves and Alice is with Bob for the rest of the way. And finally when we get to probably the most controversial point in their careers the band is gone. Maybe it was a coincidence but since I just read Bruce's book it kind of sticks out.

His perspective is important when it comes to telling the story. It can't just be Alice, Shep and Bob's all the time. And even though Michael was quiet, and I'm wondering about his state of health as well, I'm sure Dennis would have had a lot to say about the Muscle Of Love period.

LOL. And the conspiracy continues.

Andy....I am surprised you did not spend more time discussing the REAL reason for the groups break up. Will the answer EVER be given? And if so, will anyone believe it? The secret is safe with me! The others who know the truth are safely locked away in the witness protection program...or, in the case of the goats, been eliminated.
:laugh:

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:55 pm

GNDM wrote:LOL. And the conspiracy continues.

Andy....I am surprised you did not spend more time discussing the REAL reason for the groups break up. Will the answer EVER be given? And if so, will anyone believe it? The secret is safe with me! The others who know the truth are safely locked away in the witness protection program...or, in the case of the goats, been eliminated.
:laugh:
Sorry. New here. I guess this topic has been beaten to death. I thought it would be cool to discuss. Guess I was wrong.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Sorry. New here. I guess this topic has been beaten to death. I thought it would be cool to discuss. Guess I was wrong.
Oh, I am sure someone will want to re-discuss that subject eventually. However, after 40 years, if there IS a definitive answer to that question...I think it would have come out by now. You had five different people in the band, plus management personnel, etc...each with their own view on that period of time. I guess you can pick the "reason" or view that suites you best.

Please keep on giving your views of the Old School Boxset, I am sure people want to hear what others think.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:02 pm

GNDM wrote:
Oh, I am sure someone will want to re-discuss that subject eventually. However, after 40 years, if there IS a definitive answer to that question...I think it would have come out by now. You had five different people in the band, plus management personnel, etc...each with their own view on that period of time. I guess you can pick the "reason" or view that suites you best.

Please keep on giving your views of the Old School Boxset, I am sure people want to hear what others think.
I'm not looking for a reason that "suites me best" or even a definitive reason. Just would have liked to have actually heard those perspectives on this DVD, CD or even in the Yearbook. I'm a history guy. It was my major in college so I'm always coming from that point of view. I want it all. I think I'll pass on further reviews. I don't want to be in the "you can't please everyone crowd" if I say the wrong thing.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I'm not looking for a reason that "suites me best" or even a definitive reason. Just would have liked to have actually heard those perspectives on this DVD, CD or even in the Yearbook.
If you are talking about the views of the band members about that topic...they are out there. You might want to check the archives here for a start. However, be aware that people's views and opinions have changed over the years. As Andy said, MB's views may have changed between the time of his book and now. I doubt there is one answer nor even a common thread. Personally, I think it was a myriad of things with no one reason dominating others. After all this time, I guess it is water under the bridge. Sometimes things can't be neatly wrapped up in a bundle. I just hope they still enjoy each others company and stay on friendly terms...and make more music together.

Ask some people here to direct you to the written or spoken perspectives on this topic. There are some very knowledgeable fans here.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 pm

>I'm sure if they felt it was important they would have made it happen.

Absolutely false. There was no time left and Bob Ezrin addresses this in his explanation.

>And even though Michael was quiet, and I'm
wondering about his state of health as well,

I don't know anything about that. He was free to contribute as much or as little as he wanted, which is what he did.

>It was great overall.

Well, considering the circumstances of the creation of it, I would have to agree. Again, it was not meant to be the definitive story.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:12 pm

> Does anyone know where and when the backstage footage, where Alice gets his boa constrictor out of the box, was filmed?

That was from the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, during the "School's Out" tour.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:15 pm

>Guess I was wrong.

Don't worry about. It's not that it's not a legitimate line of enquiry, but again, nobody was trying to make this the defintive story. The idea was to celebrate the band's achievments.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:16 pm

>I guess you can pick the "reason" or view that suites you best.

That's correct.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:18 pm

>Sometimes things can't be neatly wrapped up in a bundle.

That's a really good explanation.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Old School Boxset Review

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:48 am

Hey All,

Just got my Old School boxset, I've been waiting 35 years for something like this. I first got into Alice xmas 75 when I got Nightmare for xmas. A month later I got greatest hits and was blown away by the Alice Cooper Group, the greatest band ever...so to actually get something "new" from the band has been a dream come true...

And I was hoping the truth would finally be told. I started watching the dvd and the first bit was great, the guys were funny, I loved listening to them talk about the early days, then Alice started with his latest embellishment about how suddenly after all these years Jimi Hendrix is involved with the group, he was the one all of a sudden who hooked up the group and Shep, ridiculous...what happened to Cindy Smith and Shep being in her clothing store and her telling him her brother was in a band??

My biggest disappointment is that after the initial discussion with the band, when it gets to the breakup suddenly they are gone and we only hear from Alice in regards to this...why are the others not allowed to discuss this?

Even Bob Ezrin talks about it in his intro, he makes a lame excuse that there was technical difficulties and they couldn't include the other guys comments, baloney. he even comments on the ridiculous Jimi Hendrix story and tries to put credit where credit is due...to Cindy Smith...

Overall i love the boxset, it's great to have more great music and photos of the greatest rock and roll band ever...I just wish after 40 years Alice would let the other guys speak...

i have more to address...but that's enough for now...

Peace and I hope everyone is enjoying the boxset as much as I am

ACG forever... :alice:
Remember The Coop !!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Old School Boxset Review

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks for your take Tommy. Check the other thread on the box here which answers why the other guys didn't get to comment.

You could e-mail Neal ( he responded to something I sent him awhile back re MOL )and ask him direct or even Dennis.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 am

pitkin88 wrote:Thanks for your take Tommy. Check the other thread on the box here which answers why the other guys didn't get to comment.

You could e-mail Neal ( he responded to something I sent him awhile back re MOL )and ask him direct or even Dennis.
Awesome, what is Neal's email or Dennis?

Thanks
Remember The Coop !!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:01 am

http://nealsmithrocks.com/events/page/2

Try here for Neal. This looks new haven't had the chance to check out yet.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:03 am

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Re: Old School DVD Review

Post by tommystooge » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:56 am

Street Schizo,

I agree with you 100%...it was way too convenit that right at that exact moment the other guys are suddenly gone and have nothing to say about the breakup...technical difficulties, baloney, I work in television and the shooting of the 3 guys was done proffesionally, so I can't really see how all of a sudden there was a problem right at that exact moment. And then we have Alice and Bob in a studio control room, which is filmed with a monkey operating the camera, the footage is so bad I had to close my eyes and just listen.

I truly believe their comments were left out because it would show Shep, Alice and Bob in a totally bad light, wish Glen was here, sure he would have had a few things to say. I also think Mike didn't say much because he has been paying for it for writing his book many years ago and if he wants anything to do with Alice Cooper it's best to not say anything. I'm sure he's exausted being shut down at every turn, poor guy is just unlucky.

I can't believe after 40 years they still aren't allowed to talk about it.

The truth is around Billion Dollar Babies when it was all about Alice and the other guys were struggling for their own identity and wanted to do solo albums, Shep took that as an opportunity to take Alice and run, he didn't support either Mike's or Neal's solo records, but the entire Cooper team was behind Nightmare. It was also an opportunity for Shep to try and make some money as he didn't own any publishing rights to any of the cooper albums until MOL, he lost it all to Herb Cohen, a snake, so here was a chance to dump the other guys and take Alice and try and make some money. I understand all that and don't fault Shep for wanting to try and "recoop" all he had worked so hard for. I get it. And the bullshit story suddenly about Jimi Hendrix being involved with hooking up Alice and Shep, come on. Dennis just sits there quiet when alice starts spewing this rubbish...why can't he just tell it like it was, no need for some overblown story...him and Dennis were doing a fine job up until Alice started with Jimi...Even Bob Ezrin apologises in no uncertain terms on his intro to the dvd and tries to give credit to Cindy Smith, who was instrumental to the success of the band in one form or another. Unfortunately for the guys, agreeing to call the Band Alice Cooper and letting Vince assume that roll, the second they were out, they were back to zero, inspite of what Alice says that they were all stars, he really was the only star. Lucky for Ace Frehley, the band was called Kiss and not Gene Simmons.

There is a very interesting article in Rolling Stone magazine on Alice and the Nightmare tour. Neal and some of the other guys visit him to discuss the "album" Alice was suppose to do with them after Nightmare, which he never did, anyway, Neal gets very angry with Alice. I'm sure it's all water under the bridge now, but it would be nice to here from the guys about the breakup because it was a GLARING omission for sure.

The pics in the book are great, although most of Lonn Friends text is just from the dvd, it was nice to hear quotes from others though. speaking of which read the part of Jimi and how that story and the meeting with Cindy are so badly strung together...

Other than that...I of course love the boxset...
Remember The Coop !!