Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun May 08, 2011 1:01 am

mestreech wrote:On Alicecooper.com there are a lot of complaints about the prize of the box.
It is their right to complain because they can't afford it (I certainly can't at this time,) but several of those comments were unfounded and were going after Alice himself. Which brings up the question, why were they going after Alice himself when this is an official release from the Alice Cooper band (not that necessarily directing their complaints to the band themselves would be much better?)
If the content was that spectacular they would have made the content public!!!
If the content wasn't spectacular I'm sure they wouldn't have included it.
The box looks excellent and the design is GREAT but if you compare the content to other boxes in the market it is very expensive.
If you compare the content you'll see why.
I hope Alice and the boys and the recordcompany will listen to all these complaints
There honestly aren't that many complaints. It was funny, on the Sickthings Mailing list or something like that, there would be someone would post up something a long the lines of "NO ONE will buy this. It is too expensive and is ripping off the fans!" The next three comments that followed were from fans who said they had just pre-ordered it. Go figure.
and give us at least a set of four autographs.
That's a bit overboard.
Me = Winning

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun May 08, 2011 1:41 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I'm not negative for not making the content of the dvd public but one must admitt that as an commercial marketingstrategy it is very strange.

Why? Not every DVD that's released has a detailed track list in the advertising (or even the packaging).

I just wanted to state the fact that the less info the less it is interesting for future buyers. Do you buy a dvd with no info on it? I just think they missed a great opportunity to boost up the sales.

<There are a lot of very limited boxes and they have complete all signatures or litho's / original lyrics etc. I collect lots of those boxes so for this time I know for sure what I'm talking about

You never said anything about autographs when you made your statement about the price. If you really think the costs involved in every box - set that's ever been manufactured are the same just because you've bought a few, then you're very mistaken. Every item of this nature is different, with different resources, limitations, challenges and issues involved.

Now you are assuming. Who said I bought a few boxes? I have over 250 boxes.

>why not. It's only a days work at max.

The only way that was even remotely practical would have been to do it when everyone was at the same location when there wasn't even enough time for that and besides the item has not even been manufactured yet.

OK, you're right about that. Silly from me maybe a bit of wishfull thinking

> but I think I am allowed to have doubts and questions on some issues.

Of course, but they are not coming from a particularly well - informed postiton, though.
I rest my case. I wait for the box to drop on my door and I know for sure I won't be dissapointed with it but I hope the satisfaction comes around 100% (if that's possible for any fan)

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 am

Now I have pre-ordered my copy of the box set. I'm sooooo pleased that I was able to "grab" it. :)
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 am

>I just wanted to state the fact that the less info the less it is interesting for future buyers.

Maybe, maybe not. Again, not every DVD that is sold has a detailed description of the contents.

>Do you buy a dvd with no info on it?

That's not what you asked, though. You were complaining there was "no tracklist" on it. That's not the same as there being "no info on it".

> I just think they missed a great opportunity to boost up the sales.

Obviously you must have more marketing skills than Universal Music does. Besides, once it is made available, there will be plenty of information as to the contents from purchasers of it. You make it sound like there is some sinister motive behind this.

>Who said I bought a few boxes? I have over 250 boxes.

It doesn't matter. My point is that buying that many or even one, is not the same as producing an item such as this. When you have actually produced a box - set such as this or any of the others you already own, then we can have an informed discussion. If you think the circumstances that led to the creation of the box - sets which you already own are the same as the circumstances which led to the creation of this particular box - set, then that is another assumption you can't make.

>I wait for the box to drop on my door and I know for sure I won't be dissapointed with it

I genuinely hope that's true. That makes me wonder what the point of your posts was, though.

>but I hope the satisfaction comes around 100% (if that's possible for any fan)

I have no doubts that someone somewhere will find something to complain about. To expect otherwise would be unrealistic.

Sarah
Killer
Killer

Post by Sarah » Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am

Pre-ordered. :) Can't wait for it to arrive!

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 pm

It still says on amazon that the box set is being released on 17 May. Is this a mistake?
Boomshanka

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun May 08, 2011 1:10 pm

I hope not. The sooner the better.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Universal music are saying 6th June. Id be more inclined to beleive them. Just want to be sure i have the funds in my bank when they go to take them out!
Boomshanka

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

I can post a link to SHTV forums If any wants to take look. There are quite a few people complaining about the price. In a world wide recession I do find it a bit silly that they are putting this out at such cost. If the hard core fans that buy everything can't afford it then something is wrong.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:57 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>some old clips (but NOT complete clips more like the Prime Cuts story).

That's an assumption you really can't make.

>If the content was that spectacular they would have made the content public!!!

I'm not really sure how one can rebut such a negative assumption.

>if you compare the content to other boxes in the market it is very expensive.

As has been explained by others already, not all other collections like this are manufactured as a limited edition.

>I hope Alice and the boys and the recordcompany will listen to all these complaints and give us at least a set of four autographs.

I don't really think it's practical to get each of them to sign at least 4,000 copies (or whatever the number is) of the box - set.

Reading between the lines in Andy's comments it looks like we will get the full clips/songs on the dvd. There's plenty of space on a disc for bonus featutres. It's also fair to say via Andy's comments that ( he feels ) the content is spectacular.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:21 pm

James1981 wrote:It still says on amazon that the box set is being released on 17 May. Is this a mistake?
Amazon.co.uk release date is 17th May, Amazon.com release date is 7th June.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 pm

>It's also fair to say via Andy's comments that ( he feels ) the content is spectacular.

I would prefer that people don't put words in my mouth but I will admit that given the circumstances, I'm satisfied with the documentary.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun May 08, 2011 11:45 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I can post a link to SHTV forums If any wants to take look. There are quite a few people complaining about the price.
Let them. They aren't forced to buy it.
In a world wide recession I do find it a bit silly that they are putting this out at such cost.
It costs what it costs. This isn't a cheap box to put together.
If the hard core fans that buy everything can't afford it then something is wrong.
Nothing new, happens all the time with anything. That's life.
Me = Winning

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon May 09, 2011 1:23 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:I can post a link to SHTV forums If any wants to take look. There are quite a few people complaining about the price.
Let them. They aren't forced to buy it.
In a world wide recession I do find it a bit silly that they are putting this out at such cost.
It costs what it costs. This isn't a cheap box to put together.
If the hard core fans that buy everything can't afford it then something is wrong.
Nothing new, happens all the time with anything. That's life.
I find those responses are such a cop out. Those aare absolutely legit criticisms. Surely a little more forthright information and alternatives for fans is not an unreasonable position to have.

This deluxe package looks great - very much in line with what I had hoped for for many years and I look forward to my package coming in the post any month now BUT why not release a pared down version simultaneously or at the very least announce a "regular" version will be released shortly thereafter.

Shouldn't the goal be to accommodate as many fans as possible?

I understand that it is very possible that a regular version may be released but why all the withholding of information? If you announce a regular version release, all the "too expensive" criticism goes away.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 pm

>why not release a pared down version simultaneously or at the very least announce a "regular" version will be released shortly thereafter.

How do you know they won't?!

>I understand that it is very possible that a regular version may be released but why all the withholding of information?

Because people may reject this version in favour of the cheaper version and there's no point in doing that until this version is made available.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon May 09, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm still amazed that people are complaining about the price.

If you can't afford it, then don't buy it. There's plenty of things in this world that i would like to buy but unfortunately my circumstances don't allow it.... that's life!

The price reflects the amount of time, effort and quality on offer. I have yet to order mine because i'm far too skint at the moment, but that is my problem and no-one elses.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Agree with While Heaven Wept, i cannot afford it but i am not whining about it, get over it people.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon May 09, 2011 2:17 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>why not release a pared down version simultaneously or at the very least announce a "regular" version will be released shortly thereafter.

How do you know they won't?!

>I understand that it is very possible that a regular version may be released but why all the withholding of information?

Because people may reject this version in favour of the cheaper version and there's no point in doing that until this version is made available.
i) I already said it was possible my criticism is why not full disclosure - most other artists are far more forthcoming

ii) That's treating the fan like a mark (a consumer to be taken advantage of) and not showing alot of faith in your own product

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon May 09, 2011 2:27 pm

James1981 wrote:It still says on amazon that the box set is being released on 17 May. Is this a mistake?
I believe Andy said they weren't even manufactured yet so I'm guessing that yes, that is a mistake.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon May 09, 2011 3:05 pm

> I already said it was possible my criticism is why not full disclosure

For the reasons I gave in my reply.

>- most other artists are far more forthcoming

Not always, actually.

>ii) That's treating the fan like a mark (a consumer to be taken advantage of) and not showing alot of faith in your own product

It's a pretty standard practice, actually. If the demand for the box - set is bigger than that supply of it, it makes a newer version more likely. If it doesn't, it won't. It's just that the decision hasn't been made yet (and if that doesn't meet your individual needs, that's unfortunate).