Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Favourite AC guitar moments

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Jason wrote:
TodayMueller wrote:I think I read somewhere that one og the few solos Glen actually played on BDB was on Sick Things. Not sure where, but it might have been in an interview with Neal or Dennis.

I think Glen's solo on "Sick Things" was the one in the middle of the song, 2:03-2:33. I think this is what I heard Neal Smith refer to as Glen smashing a guitar being his only contribution to the "Billion Dollar Babies" album. Also read about Glen doing this from somewhere else but didn't say what song. It does sound like he's killing his guitar!

I also thought besides "Elected" that Glen played on "Generation Landslide"? Why I say that, because one of the guitars sounds like Glen's style. Even moreso, on the early version, "Son Of Billion Dollar Babies".

Glen plays spoons on the beginning of " Generation Landslide " so that could be plausible.

I'd like to add Mick's playing on " Slick Black Limousine " is amazing as is Michael and Glen's work on
" Long Way To Go ".

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 pm

If you listen to the split solos on Raped And Freezing each guitarist takes 8 bars and the first one sounds like Glen and the second one Steve Hunter.

On the split solos in the middle of Billion Dollar Babies each guitarist takes 4 bars the second one again sounds like Steve Hunter and it's generally agreed he played a lot on the album, the first one again sounds like Glen.

The interview I read when Bob Ezrin said "Steve Hunter's end solo on Generation Landslide puts him just inside the door of my rock n roll hall of fame" I think might have been in Rolling Stone magazine and is the reason why I'm sure it is Steve as well as it sounding like him.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 am

steven_crayn wrote:If you listen to the split solos on Raped And Freezing each guitarist takes 8 bars and the first one sounds like Glen and the second one Steve Hunter.

On the split solos in the middle of Billion Dollar Babies each guitarist takes 4 bars the second one again sounds like Steve Hunter and it's generally agreed he played a lot on the album, the first one again sounds like Glen.

The interview I read when Bob Ezrin said "Steve Hunter's end solo on Generation Landslide puts him just inside the door of my rock n roll hall of fame" I think might have been in Rolling Stone magazine and is the reason why I'm sure it is Steve as well as it sounding like him.

It could be Glen playing the first half of those split solos, it sounds more like Michael (in both cases), sounds like his tone and (when he did play lead) melodic style. He played both of the solos live.

It sounds like another split solo in the final part of the song "Billion Dollar Babies". Again, it was and still is performed with both guitarists doing the split in the last part. The first is at 2:50, second is at 3:02. The first, to me, sounds like Glen, followed by again, Steve.

I might be wrong but I've gotten pretty good at telling the guitarists apart. It's on the last two ACG albums, that I find it sometimes hard to decipher who's playing what. Michael Bruce is easier to pick out on these albums.

Again, Glen is apparently not MOL at all but he could be hidden in various other parts on BDB. Certain moments still sound like him.
"Same as always, different as ever"

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

These are some of my favourites
1.Pass the gun around
2.Go to hell & Wish you were here
3.Opening riff to Muscle of love
4.School's out (Simple but amazing)
5.Black widow jam (From Theater of death DVD)
6.It's hot tonight
7.Serious
8.Guitar solo on Ballad of Dwight Fry
9.Black Juju
10.Roses on white lace

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 pm

>Again, Glen is apparently not MOL at all but he could be hidden in various other parts on BDB. Certain moments still sound like him.

I disagree. I once had a long discussion with Mick Mashbir about this, but I'm not sure I can remember the details.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Jason wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:If you listen to the split solos on Raped And Freezing each guitarist takes 8 bars and the first one sounds like Glen and the second one Steve Hunter.

It could be Glen playing the first half of those split solos, it sounds more like Michael (in both cases), sounds like his tone and (when he did play lead) melodic style. He played both of the solos live.

It sounds like another split solo in the final part of the song "Billion Dollar Babies". Again, it was and still is performed with both guitarists doing the split in the last part. The first is at 2:50, second is at 3:02. The first, to me, sounds like Glen, followed by again, Steve.

I might be wrong but I've gotten pretty good at telling the guitarists apart. It's on the last two ACG albums, that I find it sometimes hard to decipher who's playing what. Michael Bruce is easier to pick out on these albums.

Again, Glen is apparently not MOL at all but he could be hidden in various other parts on BDB. Certain moments still sound like him.
Michael does a live fill on Raped & Freezing which can be seen on the live film of the Billion Dollar Babies tour but during the actual 8 bar split solos you can't see who does what but it sounds more like Glen for the first 8 bars and then Mick Mashbir imitating to an extent Steve Hunter's solo for the second 8 bars.
If Steve Hunter has implied that Glen played on Raped And Freezin that is good confirmation for me.

You can see Michael Bruce play the first 4 bar split solo on Billion Dollar Babies on film, but I don't think you can read too much into the live thing anyway as Glen wasn't in the best of shape during the Billion Dollar Babies tour and was one of the reasons Mick Mashbir was brought in.

Guitarists styles can be interchangable and I think one of the reasons Mick Mashbir was chosen is his style was pretty adaptable, fitting in well with the Cooper sound.
Last edited by steven_crayn on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:44 pm

scotty wrote:the intro to "serious" and anything by kane roberts
Alice brought in Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick for 'Serious' and said in an interview in the early 1980's that it was his favourite song.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Steve Hunter has just confirmed much of what I said

"This is one of many reasons I avoid forum.s These albums were recorded over 35 years ago but I'll do my best., I did the solo on Generation Landslide. On Hello Hooray, I played the slide solos in the middle on an old 6 string Gibson pedal steel I played the second solo on Raped and Freezin. I played the second 4 bars on Billion Dollar Babies as well as the solos at the end...I think there was a Glen solo first but I'm not sure. And I am not certain but I think Dick played the solo on King of the Silver Screen. That's the best I can do. Steve"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:07 pm

steven_crayn wrote:Steve Hunter has just confirmed much of what I said

"This is one of many reasons I avoid forum.s These albums were recorded over 35 years ago but I'll do my best., I did the solo on Generation Landslide. On Hello Hooray, I played the slide solos in the middle on an old 6 string Gibson pedal steel I played the second solo on Raped and Freezin. I played the second 4 bars on Billion Dollar Babies as well as the solos at the end...I think there was a Glen solo first but I'm not sure. And I am not certain but I think Dick played the solo on King of the Silver Screen. That's the best I can do. Steve"

Thanks for that. Makes me want to pop in the cd or dvd and give it a listen.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm

> Mick Mashbir was chosen is his style was pretty adaptable, fitting in well with the Cooper sound.

I'm not sure I agree, as Glen's sound was very distinctive and Mick's sound was different. However, he was brought in to do a job and he did it very well.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Just to say, contacted Steve Hunter..he played outro on sick things and middle section on hello hurray on an old 6 string pedal steel gibson..so earlier guidance by Andy and Steven Crayn right(re my opening post)...awesome sounds..and some awesome selections here..eally great to get feedback on my fave sounds and other peoples preferences
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:26 pm

recoop wrote:Just to say, contacted Steve Hunter..he played outro on sick things and middle section on hello hurray on an old 6 string pedal steel gibson..so earlier guidance by Andy and Steven Crayn right(re my opening post)...awesome sounds..and some awesome selections here..eally great to get feedback on my fave sounds and other peoples preferences
You didn't read my quote from Steve Hunter on asking him those questions earlier in this thread then? ::((:

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 pm

You're right Steven..apologies..had been away so found email from Steve H and thought I'd share news(but of course it wasnt news)..thanks anyway
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:> Mick Mashbir was chosen is his style was pretty adaptable, fitting in well with the Cooper sound.

I'm not sure I agree, as Glen's sound was very distinctive and Mick's sound was different. However, he was brought in to do a job and he did it very well.
I'm with you on Glen being very distinctive more raw and less polished than say Steve and Dick and I love them all. With Mick Mashbir sure he was different I always think his style was somewhere between Glen and Steve but also great at picking out others solo's so adaptable in that sense and without doubt an important guitarist in Alice Cooper's history.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:51 pm

recoop wrote:You're right Steven..apologies..had been away so found email from Steve H and thought I'd share news(but of course it wasnt news)..thanks anyway
No sweat

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Technically Glen could not compete with Steve and Dick. They could nail stuff very quickly by all accounts. Glen did have his own brilliant style and I can't think of anyone that even sounds like him. Completely unique.