Comparing Theatre of Death to Montreux .......

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Comparing Theatre of Death to Montreux .......

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:59 pm

evil syd wrote:Sure, I understand that, but to me, especially in the horror world, which is real big to me, the more you know the identity of a character, the less creepy he gets. Like, let's say, for an example, Pinhead, or even, Micheal Myers,in their first movies, they were frightening, as the sequels went on, and the more and more you got to know about their indentities and origins, the less creepy they got. I guess it's me. I still love it and wouldn't want it any other way. :alice:
I agree with you about the movies. Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead all became jokes as the movies went on.

The tameness of Alice's show now can be attributed to a number of things: his religion, his being sober, his age, his increased maturity haha. But it's still a good show. A good show plus great music is all it needs to be for me.

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Lisacooper91 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:31 pm

I find it hard to choose between them, because Montreux has some things I love and so has Theatre of Death.

Alice his voice seems a bit better on the Montreux DVD then on ToD. On the other hand, ToD is more fun to watch with all the over-the-top theatrical stuff. It's also a show that I've seen 4 times, so it has some "emotional value".

But there are some Montreux-things that can never be beaten. Like the Ryan Roxie's performance on Dirty Diamonds.
The sanest days are mad.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am

TeresofBlood wrote:I agree with you about the movies. Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead all became jokes as the movies went on.

The tameness of Alice's show now can be attributed to a number of things: his religion, his being sober, his age, his increased maturity haha. But it's still a good show. A good show plus great music is all it needs to be for me.
Exactly! :alice:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 am

Lisacooper91 wrote:I find it hard to choose between them, because Montreux has some things I love and so has Theatre of Death.

Alice his voice seems a bit better on the Montreux DVD then on ToD. On the other hand, ToD is more fun to watch with all the over-the-top theatrical stuff. It's also a show that I've seen 4 times, so it has some "emotional value".

But there are some Montreux-things that can never be beaten. Like the Ryan Roxie's performance on Dirty Diamonds.
Alice's voice is way better on the Montreux DVD. I love his gritty voice, but I also love that compassionate side, which is very clear. Again, I do love TOD, I love Alice, I love his music, his shows, I just think Montreux was a better show in terms of his vocals and the band.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:08 am

evil syd wrote:the more you know the identity of a character, the less creepy he gets.
Speaking in terms of Alice the man, I think this works opposite. What's a stable, spiritual, classy, family-oriented, charity-driven gentleman doing on a dark stage killing himself and chickens? The character has always been a bit creepy but there's a real unsettling aspect about a man who keeps that dark side alive and yet maintains all the 'nice guy' factors above. It almost adds to the mystery of the character.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
evil syd wrote:the more you know the identity of a character, the less creepy he gets.
Speaking in terms of Alice the man, I think this works opposite. What's a stable, spiritual, classy, family-oriented, charity-driven gentleman doing on a dark stage killing himself and chickens? The character has always been a bit creepy but there's a real unsettling aspect about a man who keeps that dark side alive and yet maintains all the 'nice guy' factors above. It almost adds to the mystery of the character.
it's also his bread and butter and if he didn't do that stuff, he would get a lot of flack. Although you are right, it is a bit odd. He is a big horror film fanatic.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:27 am

[quote="evil sydSure, I understand that, but to me, especially in the horror world, which is real big to me, the more you know the identity of a character, the less creepy he gets. Like, let's say, for an example, Pinhead, or even, Micheal Myers,in their first movies, they were frightening, as the sequels went on, and the more and more you got to know about their indentities and origins, the less creepy they got. I guess it's me. I still love it and wouldn't want it any other way. :alice:[/quote]

But the real life person isn't the character, so I'm not really sure what you mean since you originally were referring to the real person's belie and not the character's.
Also, I'm not really sure if the "getting to know" the cahracter is what made the monsters less scary. Think about Hannibal Lecter, the more you know him the creepier (more sinister) he gets.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:46 am

[quote="TeresofBlood"I agree with you about the movies. Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead all became jokes as the movies went on.[/quote]
I always thought that was the intention.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 pm

The neck scarf was to hide the scar from Alice repeatedly getting his head cut off.

Alice may seem more tired in TOD but then he was a bit older and maybe had a better nights sleep in Montreux..Seen Alice for so long that I am used to seeing change in Alice live. I like Montreux although it seemed to be too well lit...as has been said Montreux more made for tv...but I like it..Have watched both lately and liked TOD a bit more...Alice more growly..In recent times Ryan Roxie was my favourite so I can understand other people prefering Montreux..I just like both
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 pm

SKULLBOY wrote:I always thought that was the intention.
If it was the intention, it was because the studios realized that characters can't stay scary after countless sequels. They never set out to make comedies, they just admitted to themselves it was no longer scary and embraced it.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:25 pm

SKULLBOY wrote: But the real life person isn't the character, so I'm not really sure what you mean since you originally were referring to the real person's belie and not the character's. 7.
I guess when you see a musician on stage with make up on, trying to be all evil and stuff, singing songs sbout dementia, it naturally becomes his persona, it's Alice, they sort of become one. Then when you see him. without the make up, in interviews about being a good family man, teaching bible studies, playing golf, not drinkling, it sort of takes something away, at least for me, I know it sounds stupid. It takes a lot to scare me in the entertainment world. As I said before, I still love it!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:45 pm

evil syd wrote: I guess when you see a musician on stage with make up on, trying to be all evil and stuff, singing songs sbout dementia,
I'm not sure why this is so shocking, it's been an act from the very beginning. It's theatre.

What types of things would you want him to be doing in his private time that would make you feel better about this?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Roxanne
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Roxanne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

recoop wrote:The neck scarf was to hide the scar from Alice repeatedly getting his head cut off.
Are you joking?
"But if you talk in the movies I'll kill you right there"

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes Roxanne I was joking..thought it was funnier if delivered straight...(mind you maybe he is a bit vain and wanted to hide the scars from his beheadedness)

Roxanne
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Roxanne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

recoop wrote:Yes Roxanne I was joking..thought it was funnier if delivered straight...(mind you maybe he is a bit vain and wanted to hide the scars from his beheadedness)
Ah, ok! :)
Sorry, I don't understand jokes in english... :bam:

:rotfl:
"But if you talk in the movies I'll kill you right there"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 pm

>I know it sounds stupid.

Yes, it does.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote: What types of things would you want him to be doing in his private time that would make you feel better about this?

you know, you guys are not reading me incorrectly, I love it, I love Alice, I love the show, I love it all. I'm just saying that it's become more like a Grade A, B movie now for me, actually it always has been, but even
more so, that's all. I'm sure you all are like that too. I'm a huge cooper fan, trust me, anyone that would post on this board, has to be, wouldn't ya think?

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 pm

For my part,I understand what you are saying evil syd but Alice has evolved more and more into being an actor who plays a part..Alice has compared to shakespearian drama/horror..he also admits that nothing on stage can really shock (cnn has real stuff)...so I guess Alice thinks we can see through this is just an act (very convincing in early 70s)..so he's going for entertainment with a horror theme..Alice has also grown as a human being unlike other rockers who died living the image..For my part I accept you are a huge Cooper fan with Tony Iommi leanings and good avatars..its only rock n roll as someone said :rock:

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:10 pm

recoop wrote:For my part,I understand what you are saying evil syd but Alice has evolved more and more into being an actor who plays a part..Alice has compared to shakespearian drama/horror..he also admits that nothing on stage can really shock (cnn has real stuff)...so I guess Alice thinks we can see through this is just an act (very convincing in early 70s)..so he's going for entertainment with a horror theme..Alice has also grown as a human being unlike other rockers who died living the image..For my part I accept you are a huge Cooper fan with Tony Iommi leanings and good avatars..its only rock n roll as someone said :rock:
You hit the nail on the head, recoop, and thanks! I guess when alice as in the old days when he was sort of in character more, when he himself was confused, it was quite creepy. That's why Marlyn Manson became such a hit, people believed he was this kind of possessed goth nutball, but in time it wore out, where Alice it hasn't, he's an original. Just that when he's on stage i don't feel intimidated, just entertained....
Rock on, my friend :alice:

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:42 am

TeresofBlood wrote:They never set out to make comedies, they just admitted to themselves it was no longer scary and embraced it.
I'm not so sure about that. I mean, look at the Child's Play sequels or many of the lines from the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, etc.

Good horror writing includes comedy for balance, but it's obvious when the balance swings too far one way.