Beat Club 1971 - Under My Wheels (alternate take)

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Beat Club 1971 - Under My Wheels (alternate take)

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Hadn't seen this take of "Under My Wheels" on from the Beat Club. The band seems to have slightly more energy on this one! The clip says 1972 but it's obviously 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsc_vEGbEcA
"Same as always, different as ever"

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Beat Club 1971 - Under My Wheels (alternate take)

Post by mestreech » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:50 pm

nice one :clap:

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:30 pm

That's pretty good. I almost thought Glen was going to try to do Rick Derringer's solo! Rick's solo definitely suited the song more.
Me = Winning

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:07 am

I always wondered why a guest guitarist and why that track? Glen coulda killed it! I just don't get it. Of course after this it would be common place for guests on the records,so I guess pretties,easy action,and LITD were the only albums to have the 5 of them strictly (outside of the producers on piano on a couple of tracks)

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 am

Yeah, the beginning of the solo he was playing the Rick Derringer part. If you listen closely on the studio version, you can hear Glen's solo that he played on live versions mixed below Rick and all the horns.

Who knows why Rick Derringer was brought in (usually the producer's decision, I guess Bob Ezrin only knows for sure!). He's a excellent guitar player but they already had Glen & Mike! Rick Derringer also played on "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah", but Glen's guitar is audible but again he's mixed lower than the rest of the band. He's only brought up in the mix during the middle section.

You're right scotty, PFY, EA & LITD are the only albums that have the 5 of them (aside from David Briggs on piano on "Shoe Salesman" & Bob Ezrin on keys for about half of LITD). I think it's the same with SO album, it sounds like Glen's on all the songs, Rockin' Reggie Vincent plays on some songs and the first appearance of Dick Wagner on an Alice Cooper record on "My Stars". Glen's guitar is in there as well. It's after that, session guys were brought in and Glen's guitar is absent.

I love GB's style of playing. BDB and MOL would be better albums (in my opinion, of course) if his sound was in there like the earlier albums. No complaints though, when you have guys filling in like Mick Mashbir, Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter. But still not the same.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:27 am

scotty wrote:I always wondered why a guest guitarist and why that track? Glen coulda killed it! I just don't get it.
Possibly because the guitar solo they were looking for there was not a style that Glen could do. I think it's a terrific solo and is perfect for that song, unfortunately it's not Glen's style or one that he could pull off I think.
Me = Winning

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:58 am

yeah,as jason mentioned,in hindsight knowing alot of bob ezrins work,I know he has guys he likes to use on his sessions. Dick wagner ended up on kiss records,and I have a julian Lennon album produced by bob where alot of folks from alice's bands were used like allan shwartzberg and steve hunter. So I get it now! :rock:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 am

>I always wondered why a guest guitarist and why that track? Glen coulda killed it! I just don't get it.

It was reported arouns that time that he may have been having some kind of domestic or personal problem.

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:47 pm

:clap: Very nice !!!!!
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the link! I've never before seen that different take. Judging from the background footage, it seems that the band performed "Is It My Body" as well, along with "Ballad Of Dwight Fry".
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:08 am

Petri wrote:Thanks for the link! I've never before seen that different take. Judging from the background footage, it seems that the band performed "Is It My Body" as well, along with "Ballad Of Dwight Fry".

Yeah Petri, I noticed the back screen of Alice with Kachina! I wish that performance of "Is It My Body" was available to be seen. I've seen the performance on "The Old Grey Whistle Test". I like the Beat Club performances better as they are completely live, OGWT are the band miming to the studio track with live vocals.

"Ballad Of Dwight Fry" I've only seen via this site on Sickthings TV. It's only the last 1:30 of the song but it's better than nothing. Is there a full performance of this track out there?

In Dale Sherman's book, he mentions the band playing "Under My Wheels" & "I'm Eighteen" (did they even play this, makes sense that they would have, being their big hit to date at that point) during this 1971 session. UMW is the only track from the '71 Beat Club that is shown. It's possible that IIMB, BODF & 18 were filmed and not aired. Who knows?

Anyhow, they would all be right at home my dream DVD of vintage Alice videos (in chronological order, of course!)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 am

>(did they even play this, makes sense that they would have, being their big hit to date at that point) during this 1971 session.

Not really, when you consider that "Under My Wheels" was about to be released.

>It's possible that IIMB, BODF & 18 were filmed and not aired. Who knows?

There's no evidence that "I'm Eighteen" was performed and I don't think Dale Sherman provided any.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 am

For what it's worth, this is mentioned on the list of television appearances here on SickthingsUK:

"??/10/71

Beat Club

TV

8 min

German TV show
Includes 'Under My Wheels' and, 'I'm Eighteen' live in studio.
Available on the 'Special Edition' DVD
The band also recorded 'The Ballad Of Dwight Fry' but it wasn`t aired until a short clip turned up in 2008! "
Me = Winning

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:02 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:For what it's worth, this is mentioned on the list of television appearances here on SickthingsUK:

"??/10/71

Beat Club

TV

8 min

German TV show
The band also recorded 'The Ballad Of Dwight Fry' but it wasn`t aired until a short clip turned up in 2008! "

I have the "Special Edition" DVD of the "Beat Club" performances, it only has 3 clips, "Under My Wheels" (from 10/71) and "Public Animal #9" & "I'm Eighteen" (from 11/72). Mabye the '72 performance is mistaken for being perfromed in '71?

There's a "pop-up" version of these clips with general info (tidbits, basically AC for dummies!) and the rest of it is advertisements for other "Special Edition" DVD of other bands.

I wished they would have put "Ballad Of Dwight Fry" and "Is It My Body" (and if they did in fact perform "I'm Eighteen" during the '71 session) on there as well.

Obviously, when something exists and isn't released, there could be many reasons for it.

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Jason wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:For what it's worth, this is mentioned on the list of television appearances here on SickthingsUK:

"??/10/71

Beat Club

TV

8 min

German TV show

I have the "Special Edition" DVD of the "Beat Club" performances, it only has 3 clips, "Under My Wheels" (from 10/71) and "Public Animal #9" & "I'm Eighteen" (from 11/72). Mabye the '72 performance is mistaken for being perfromed in '71?

There's a "pop-up" version of these clips with general info (tidbits, basically AC for dummies!) and the rest of it is advertisements for other "Special Edition" DVD of other bands.

I wished they would have put "Ballad Of Dwight Fry" and "Is It My Body" (and if they did in fact perform "I'm Eighteen" during the '71 session) on there as well.

Obviously, when something exists and isn't released, there could be many reasons for it.

I just looked up some "Beat Club" info on the net. Episodes and broadcasts type of stuff. It seems in 10/71 that when the band did appear, only the perfromance of "Under My Wheels" was shown. The 11/72 perfromance shows "Public Animal #9" & "I'm Eighteen" along with the "Elected" promo on it's respective episode.

We do know they filmed "Ballad Of Dwight Fry" and "Is It My Body" but no telling if they performed "I'm Eighteen" in 1971 on the "Beat Club".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 pm

>Mabye the '72 performance is mistaken for being perfromed in '71?

Obviously, that can't be true if you actually look at the footage.

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:06 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Mabye the '72 performance is mistaken for being perfromed in '71?

Obviously, that can't be true if you actually look at the footage.
You're right but people make mistakes. I meant it being mistaken after '72. More like, once the they perfromed in 1972, anybody (who can't tell what year something is from by looking at it) refering to "I'm Eighteen" being perfromed on the "Beat Club" could have possibly thought it was from a year earlier, that's all. Hence, listed it as such. Probably not, but possibly?

I've (as I'm sure lots of us who know dates etc.) seen various things with the wrong date on it. The clip I posted in the first post is from 1971, the person who posted it on Youtube put 1972 in the title. I've seen the ABC "In Concert" footage with the heading: "Live 1971" in the past.

Again, just a question/thought.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:27 am

> Hence, listed it as such. Probably not, but possibly?

I have no idea what any of that means.

>The clip I posted in the first post is from 1971, the person who posted it on Youtube put 1972 in the title.

That's not what you wrote, though. You wrote:
“I have the "Special Edition" DVD of the "Beat Club" performances, it only has 3 clips, "Under My Wheels" (from 10/71) and "Public Animal #9" & "I'm Eighteen" (from 11/72). Mabye the '72 performance is mistaken for being perfromed in '71?”

Unless the information on that release is incorrect, (which it may well be, I don’t have one near me to check) then as I wrote earlier, just by looking at the different sets of footage would indicate they are from a different time, so there’s no need for any speculation or guessing which is highly misleading (even though you didn’t mean it that way).