"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Rock Hall Induction Performance

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Jason wrote:Really?

I don't know man. Not saying Alice didn't have his successes in his solo career, he certainly did.

That's a bit like saying Paul McCartney is better known for Wings than for being in The Beatles.

I'm sure I'll be sentenced to 100 lashes for saying that but it that's how it came off to me.
That came off the same way to me. He's clearly living in some alternate reality.

The 7 or 8 AC classic rock staples I hear regularly on the radio are all from 71-73.

Once in a while I'll hear WTMN or OWB, but those are rare occasions.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

elnombre
Trash
Trash

Post by elnombre » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:06 am

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Alice Cooper group material is generally more well recognized than Alice Cooper solo material, but Alice Cooper as a person is more well recognized than Alice Cooper as a group?

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:22 am

elnombre wrote:Wouldn't it be fair to say that Alice Cooper group material is generally more well recognized than Alice Cooper solo material, but Alice Cooper as a person is more well recognized than Alice Cooper as a group?
The epitome of irony!
"Same as always, different as ever"

elnombre
Trash
Trash

Post by elnombre » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 am

Jason wrote:
elnombre wrote:Wouldn't it be fair to say that Alice Cooper group material is generally more well recognized than Alice Cooper solo material, but Alice Cooper as a person is more well recognized than Alice Cooper as a group?
The epitome of irony!
I dare say it is, but it doesn't make it any less true. Ask your average man on the street who Alice Cooper is. You give me a quid for everyone who says it's 'that guy', I'll give you a quid for everyone who says it's a group.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:36 am

I still want to know who all thought it was a good idea to have Tom Waits in there.
Me = Winning

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:I still want to know who all thought it was a good idea to have Tom Waits in there.
Neil Young
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 pm

>Ask your average man on the street who Alice Cooper is. You give me a quid for everyone who says it's 'that guy', I'll give you a quid for everyone who says it's a group.

There's a contradiction in the way you state your case (which I agree with, before you start whingeing). You state:
"Wouldn't it be fair to say that Alice Cooper group material is generally more well recognized than Alice Cooper solo material, but Alice Cooper as a person is more well recognized than Alice Cooper as a group?"

I think that's an accurate statement, but then you imply in your last post that it would be an equal split. It's a contradiction.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:26 pm

elnombre wrote:
Jason wrote:
The epitome of irony!
I dare say it is, but it doesn't make it any less true. Ask your average man on the street who Alice Cooper is. You give me a quid for everyone who says it's 'that guy', I'll give you a quid for everyone who says it's a group.
you would be losing a lot of money.

The average Joe or Josephine is not aware of the original band.
That doesn't make it right and I'm delighted the whole original band were inducted, but people on this forum are not your average punter.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 am

Um....wouldn't he be MAKING money, and thus proving his point? His point was that Alice is more well-known to the average person on the street as an individual artist. He's GETTING the quid for that knowledge and GIVING it for those who know it's a group. Thus, he's paying out less (because fewer people know Alice Cooper as a group) and getting more...so he's making money.

I didn't read it as him indicating an even split. I read him as saying that it's NOT an even split, and the questions/money would both prove it and make him money.

I, myself, am an example of people who knew of Alice as "that guy" who sang School's Out and Feed My Frankenstein on Wayne's World. Until I became a fan in 2005 and joined the NWAC and STUK forums, I hadn't the faintest idea Alice Cooper had started as a band.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:45 pm

This has nothing to do with the music though, and success there of, but other factors. The name Alice Cooper would certainly lead people to assume it's a person from the outset until learning otherwise. Factor that in with the marketing/presentation over the years while Alice himself is the front man and this is easily understandable.

There are people that think Pink Floyd is a person too, but that doesn't have any bearing on the music.

"Which one's Pink?"
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:50 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
There are people that think Pink Floyd is a person too, but that doesn't have any bearing on the music.

"Which one's Pink?"
Same scenario with Jethro Tull

"He's GREAT, I love him!" :smack:

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm

God! Isn't it enough that Alice and the band finally got in?? Why does everything have to turn into an argument.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Billie1966 wrote:God! Isn't it enough that Alice and the band finally got in?? Why does everything have to turn into an argument.

Danny~
I take offense to this observation...choose your weapon sir!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:Um....wouldn't he be MAKING money, and thus proving his point? His point was that Alice is more well-known to the average person on the street as an individual artist. He's GETTING the quid for that knowledge and GIVING it for those who know it's a group. Thus, he's paying out less (because fewer people know Alice Cooper as a group) and getting more...so he's making money.

I didn't read it as him indicating an even split. I read him as saying that it's NOT an even split, and the questions/money would both prove it and make him money.

I, myself, am an example of people who knew of Alice as "that guy" who sang School's Out and Feed My Frankenstein on Wayne's World. Until I became a fan in 2005 and joined the NWAC and STUK forums, I hadn't the faintest idea Alice Cooper had started as a band.
yes the guy losing money would be the one who thought Alice Cooper the group was equally well known as the person who changed his name to the name of the group, even though the majority of better known songs were recorded by Alice Cooper the group.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:23 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
This has nothing to do with the music though, and success there of, but other factors. The name Alice Cooper would certainly lead people to assume it's a person from the outset until learning otherwise. Factor that in with the marketing/presentation over the years while Alice himself is the front man and this is easily understandable.

"Which one's Pink?"
but the more success the music has the better known the artist/musicians.
Time is a factor though when School's Out came out people wanted to know not just who Alice was but the other guys in the band, whereas when Poison came out did anyone other than musicians care who played on it even though that sounds like a contradiction.
Alice Cooper solo has had less emphasis on other musicians naturally because it isn't a band anymore as such.

oh and Pink was Roy Harper!

RubberPants
Trash
Trash

Post by RubberPants » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Newbie to the site here.

I am so happy for the Alice Cooper Band past and present. They were awesome and the newer version is still a rocking! And my Mom hated them???!!!! LOL Which I just ignored her rants "he or it is terrible!!" But we all know they were tongue in cheek. Hope .... you don't ferget me or nothing Alice. I golfed with ya all day in 97 and that was my best day ever! See

http://www.speeddemons.com/Alice-Cooper ... olfing.asp

I still am a big fan NOW. I gotta go to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame now fer sure!

My daughter who at only ... only 4 years oooooooOOld did a video acting as you see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBVcU_lbsw
"Ya Gotta Have Big Ones?"
http://www.speeddemons.com

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm

>I didn't read it as him indicating an even split. I read him as saying that it's NOT an even split, and the questions/money would both prove it and make him money

If that's what he's saying, that's a weird example. Why not just say one is more popular than the other and then cite the evidence?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 pm

>but people on this forum are not your average punter.

That's very true.

elnombre
Trash
Trash

Post by elnombre » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 pm

>There's a contradiction in the way you state your case (which I agree with, before you start whingeing). You state:
"Wouldn't it be fair to say that Alice Cooper group material is generally more well recognized than Alice Cooper solo material, but Alice Cooper as a person is more well recognized than Alice Cooper as a group?"

I think that's an accurate statement, but then you imply in your last post that it would be an equal split. It's a contradiction.

How on Earth do you figure that? When you make bets, you like to break even then, not make a profit? I never said or implied anything to suggest it would be an even split. You're really reaching there.

> If that's what he's saying, that's a weird example. Why not just say one is more popular than the other and then cite the evidence?

Because I'm not talking about popularity or preference, I'm talking about name/brand recognition. More people recognize Alice Cooper as being a person than a band. I'm not saying they prefer the solo material over the band material. Clear enough?
Last edited by elnombre on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.