Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Alice on X Factor

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am

From BBC News

"The advantage The X Factor has is that it's not exclusive.

"On American Idol they want a certain look, a certain sound. A cookie cutter singer who can sing Barry Manilow and Elvis Presley.

"The X Factor's more refreshing. They're wide open - if you're really unique at something, bring it in and, if it's really professional, [they] will go with it."

"If Bob Dylan showed up on X Factor," he muses, "I think he might win."
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice on X Factor

Post by Gunner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Is that why the winners are always just singers unable to write songs or play an instrument!???

The likes of Bob Dylan, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop - even Abba getting past the auditions for x-factor are highly unlikely based on the judge's methodology. The liklihood of any instrument playing group progressing on that show are also close to nothing too based on such criteria. So I can't agree with Alice here at all. It's a silly show that has very little to do with music and everything to do with Cowell making money.

Draugen
Trash
Trash

Post by Draugen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Talent can win in Norway. This guy has written the song him self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKeWtUE5kI

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Gunner wrote:Is that why the winners are always just singers unable to write songs or play an instrument!???

The likes of Bob Dylan, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop - even Abba getting past the auditions for x-factor are highly unlikely based on the judge's methodology. The liklihood of any instrument playing group progressing on that show are also close to nothing too based on such criteria. So I can't agree with Alice here at all. It's a silly show that has very little to do with music and everything to do with Cowell making money.
I tend to agree with you even though the guy that won it this time did play the guitar, and how do we know he hasn't written a song.
I think what Alice was getting at was that unlike American Idol there are no age restrictions.
It is sad that svengalis like Cowell and Fuller are infesting so much garbage on the charts and extorting money in the process, but the charts have been garbage for a long time.
The only good thing is you often get a backlash against what becomes the norm, like when punk happened.
imagine if Dylan hadn't happened and he came along to one of their auditions and played Like A Rolling Stone, those muppets just wouldn't get it, not that Dylan would go there even though it is harder for non pop acts to get noticed in such a fickle industry these days.

I remember Alice once saying there used to be a time when the president of the record company would be in the studio genuinely excited by the music.

Now It would appear it's all about units the fact that there is even music on the CD doesn't really matter.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Sarah
Killer
Killer

Post by Sarah » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 pm

I don't agree with Alice about Bob Dylan. I don't think he'd have a chance on something like that. It's just so false and not about music at all.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:39 pm

I hate the fact that the music on the charts has become so disposable. Real talents don't show up to the garbage reality TV competitions like X Factor or at least they wont win them. Those who can really sing or write songs seek or form their own bands. X factor winners(and winners of other same type of contests) tend to be famous for year or two but their fame quickly vanishes.

I use a metaphor. If fame was a mountain or a hill, the winner would climb to the top, sigh and almost immediately fall and roll back to where he/she was. I bet nobody remembers this year's or last year's X Factor winner ten years later.

Funny thing about these singing competitions is that it saves the president of the record company from work of seeking new artists and bands. When last X Factor winner has dissappeared from tabloids and fame, they start the competition again and get a new disposable star. So the audience chooses an artist for the record company and also pays the recording costs of the album. Yes you read right. Audience calls or sends text messages to vote and voting costs them money and so the record company gets money for studio costs on a golden plate.