Any vids from 1980 tour out there?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Any vids from 1980 tour out there?

Post by Spot and Jerome » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:39 am

I've been looking for any video of the Flush the Fashion tour around the web, but nothing ever surfaced, or at least it seems so...
The only thing I could find is this small vid on youtube where they show a few seconds of a FTF concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfmEW45KSI
At least it should mean that some footage actually exists, does anyone have/know/can show anything about it?
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Any vids from 1980 tour out there?

Post by James1981 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:39 pm

The closest thing i have is the paris special from the special forces era. Have you got this?
Boomshanka

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:06 pm

yes, thank you, I have it.
it is a pretty good document of the special forces era, but the flush times seem to be completely forgotten... very sad indeed!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:37 am

Hmm, footage for the 'Flush the Fashion' show seems to be even more rare than footage for the 'Silver Screen' tour! If it weren't for the 'AC and Friends' video lark, I don't think there would be any - would there??
I don't know why this is, maybe the fact that he was quite 'poorly' on both is significant? It's frustrating because he didn't come to the UK on either tour and a) 'The Silver Screen' show was supposed to be really really well put together and b) 'Flush The Fashion' is one of my favourite albums.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 am

>I don't know why this is, maybe the fact that he was quite 'poorly' on both is significant?

It was probably due to a combination of different factors. The filming of rock concerts doesn’t just happen by 'pressing a button'. Someone has to pay for it the entire process and given that Alice was in a commercial decline at that point (and arguably an artistic decline, as well), it was probably decided that it wasn’t worth the expense and the effort. This doesn’t mean that no footage from that tour has ever existed, as it is more than likely there were other local television news crews present at other shows on that tour.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:33 am

given that Alice was in a commercial decline at that point (and arguably an artistic decline, as well), it was probably decided that it wasn’t worth the expense and the effort
That's basically what I was getting at, well put Andy.

One has to say though, his career was in decline even more so for the 'madhouse rock tour' and 'special forces' and yet there is 'substantial' video footage promoting these tours. In fact, when you consider the venues Alice was playing and filling in 1977 and the hit singles in 1976 and 1977, his career wasn't really in decline, his 'focus' was.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:09 am

>and yet there is 'substantial' video footage promoting these tours.

That's true, but that doesn't mean that wasn't the reason there was no official footage for the "Flush The Fashion tour". Again, there are all sorts of different factors involved. The circumstances are different at different times and there is no 'one size, fits all' approach. As for "Special Forces", that may be slightly different, as I think that might have been a project which was instigated by Warner Brothers in France, rather than one insigated by Alice's management or an American film production company.

> In fact, when you consider the venues Alice was playing and filling in 1977 and the hit singles in 1976 and 1977, his career wasn't really in decline,

I never said it was. We're talking about 1980, which is what this thread is about.

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Talking about 1977, apart from the official "AC and Friends", you can find a couple of vids on youtube. Not great quality, and quite a bad performance from Alice indeed:
Lace and Whiskey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3GBl2SaWY
You and me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLByZA6M38w
As far as the 1980 tour goes, I would be just happy even with a low-quality audience filmed recording, but it seems this will remain a dream for long ;)

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Again, there are all sorts of different factors involved. The circumstances are different at different times and there is no 'one size, fits all' approach. As for "Special Forces", that may be slightly different, as I think that might have been a project which was instigated by Warner Brothers in France, rather than one insigated by Alice's management or an American film production company.
Nobody is denying this Andy, one doesn't expect a film for every tour. What we are referring to here is that that there appears to be next-to-zero footage of these shows - which is rare in any occassion, that's all. I personally don't think it is significant, just the way it has panned out. But I have to say, the fact that there is hardly any footage at all of the 1977 tour is very suprising.
I never said it was. We're talking about 1980, which is what this thread is about.
Andy, you repsonded to the fact I was referring to two eras (1977 and 1980)regardless of the topic title. I wrote: "I don't know why this is, maybe the fact that he was quite 'poorly' on both is significant?" To which you replied with; "It was probably due to a combination of different factors......". It seems as though you are replying to my comment. If you wanted for me to think you were only referring to 1980, it may have been better to write; "The 1980 issue is probably down to....."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:40 pm

>Talking about 1977, apart from the official "AC and Friends", you can find a couple of vids on youtube.

Actually, I think those are from "Alice Cooper And Friends."

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Too bad there is a lack of video for the 1980 FTF tour as I really enjoyed seeing it live. I think it's the tour that marked Mike Pinera's debut on guitar. Always been impressed by his playing. Fred Mandrel was the other guitarist. I was surprised at that because he use to be the Keyboard player previously. The FLF tour IMO was much better than the Silver Screen tour which I also saw. That was just awful IMO. It seemed to me Alice did not want to be Alice anymore. I hated the Inspector character and dancing chickens. Hugely lame and not rock n roll. FLF he seemed much more edgy and I loved the music from that release. The show was less on theatrics and the band was upfront and focused.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm

>What we are referring to here is that that there appears to be next-to-zero footage of these shows

We’ve both covered that (twice, I think), in each of our posts.

> - which is rare in any occassion, that's all.

I never said it wasn’t. I’m just explaining it.

>I personally don't think it is significant, just the way it has panned out.

That’s more or less what I already said, I think.

>But I have to say, the fact that there is hardly any footage at all of the 1977 tour is very suprising.

There’s “Alice Cooper And Friends”, which is a bit more than “hardly any” and as I already wrote with regards to the “Flush The Fashion” tour, there probably was footage shot during “The King Of The Silver Screen tour” by local television news as well (which probably no longer exists). There were also one or two television commercials (which I have somewhere) for this tour, which may be in circulation and there may have been some live footage from that tour on those.

>If you wanted for me to think you were only referring to 1980, it may have been better to write; "The 1980 issue is probably down to....."

I was, indeed, only referring to the “I don’t know why this is” part of your statement, so I could and should have removed the rest of your statement. However, as I’ve just shown, there is more footage from the “King Of The Silver Screen Tour” than for the “Flush The Fashion Tour” so whether or not Alice was “poorly” (the part I should have removed) isn’t that relevant. He was “poorly” in 1982 as well, but there’s a lot of footage available from that year, as we know. It might not be what you or others want to hear, but a lot of these decisions are made based on financial and / or commercial realities.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Although these clips are not from the actual tour, per se, they do show Alice from that era.

PAIN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0658jOXHFA

The trailer (Note the tagline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBxcUEOzuo

As for Alice being in decline (or "poorly") these clips are from the film "Roadie." The film was inspired by the song "Road Rats," and the basic story line was about a girl obsessed with meeting Alice. It was a major release, shown in theaters, and financed by people who wanted to make money. For them to choose a rock star who's "had it" wouldn't have made sense.

Just my two cents....
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:26 pm

There seems to be a lot of " Probably's " but nothing concrete.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:39 pm

If memory serves me, wasn't there a performance of Clones on some American variety TV show whose name escapes me. I am pretty sure it was a live performance as Alice and band were in that para military uniform look. They had a neat special effect were Alice split himself in two. I'm pretty sure it aired right before I saw the FTF tour in NYC.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 pm

I believe this is the video you're thinking of?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNspoI-mO0M

Wasn't this part of the "Alice in Paris" from French TV?
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:17 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:I believe this is the video you're thinking of?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNspoI-mO0M

Wasn't this part of the "Alice in Paris" from French TV?

I believe so.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 am

That sure looks like the video. But I don't think Alice in Paris ever played on American TV. Especially during the FTF tour. Maybe some variety show just filled a 3 minute segment with that clip and that's how I got to see it.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 am

revinkevin wrote:That sure looks like the video. But I don't think Alice in Paris ever played on American TV. Especially during the FTF tour. Maybe some variety show just filled a 3 minute segment with that clip and that's how I got to see it.
Maybe they just cut that part out and treated it as a music video on the special you saw?

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:42 am

Oh, OK....looks like the clip may have come from a TV show called "Pink Lady and Jeff."
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/albums/a-ftf.php

They never shot a video for "Clones"...The clip on Prime Cuts is from an American show. A horrible, short lived variety show called "Pink Lady & Jeff".
(Renfield, January 1997)

EDIT: Yup, just got out my Prime Cuts DVD, and this is the version on that. So, looks like that's where it came from. Seems the Pink Lady and Jeff show only ran for about 6 weeks.

And...if this website is to be believed, Alice was on on April 4, 1980.
http://www.tv.com/pink-lady-and-jeff/gu ... recap.html