NS interview

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

NS interview

Post by TodayMueller » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Any idea when the full Neal Smith interview will be on Brave Words ?

Lookig forward to that, haven't heard much from him lately.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: NS interview

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 am

the link on the news page isn't the whole thing? neal is the coolest.I've e mailed him questions before,and he answers so quick it's unbelievable!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:12 am

Good to read Michael Bruce was in the studio in some capacity. Not sure if anything will come out on the finished product, but good to see him in the mix.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 am

this is amazing if you stop to think about it-this is what cooper fans have been calling for forever it seems! neal even threw out how he'd like to do a nice proper, bigger show in his interview for brave words(that will be recorded for cd/dvd hopefully of course!!!!)
haven't really been this excited since the remaining beatles finished off two lennon tracks!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 am

Neal firmly (and predictably) asserts that the nomination is for the band and the band alone, but I hope he (and others for that matter) realises that only one man has kept the name 'Alice Cooper' alive and a 'living entity' since the break-up. This is important because interest and support has been continually generated around this concept due to this, not least of which will have come in the form of royalty cheques for those other members besides their charismatic frontman showman that made the whole thing different!

If it is indeed, just a nomination for the band, then I find it interesting and somewhat odd that there should be more solo tracks than band tracks listed on the HOF website against this nomination article; http://rockhall.com/inductees/nominees/alice-cooper/

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Good to read Michael Bruce was in the studio in some capacity. Not sure if anything will come out on the finished product, but good to see him in the mix.
I'm sure it will, the Alice Cooper group nominated and a new album Alice Cooper album on the way containing a song or two written and performed together with the original members. Look at the Bigger Picture - Group.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:24 am

Gunner wrote:Neal firmly (and predictably) asserts that the nomination is for the band and the band alone,
Which he is correct in asserting. In fact, Alice publicly thanked the committee on the official site for their nomination of the original band!
but I hope he (and others for that matter) realises that only one man has kept the name 'Alice Cooper' alive and a 'living entity' since the break-up.
I don't think Neal or anyone would deny this.
If it is indeed, just a nomination for the band,
Which it is.
then I find it interesting and somewhat odd that there should be more solo tracks than band tracks listed on the HOF website against this nomination article; http://rockhall.com/inductees/nominees/alice-cooper/
This would be something that should be directed to the webmaster over there. These seem like the generic download purhcase links that I see with articles mentioning Alice often.
Me = Winning

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 am

Neal firmly (and predictably) asserts that the nomination is for the band and the band alone, but I hope he (and others for that matter) realises that only one man has kept the name 'Alice Cooper' alive and a 'living entity' since the break-up. This is important because interest and support has been continually generated around this concept due to this, not least of which will have come in the form of royalty cheques for those other members besides their charismatic frontman showman that made the whole thing different!
Damn shame your so young and have no grasp of history.
You can piss and moan all you want, but I am sure Neal, Dennis and Michael don't give a crap. :evil:

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm

GNDM wrote:
You can piss and moan all you want, but I am sure Neal, Dennis and Michael don't give a crap. :evil:
There is a lot of merit in what Gunner has written. Alice solo has worked hard for many a year keeping 'Alice Cooper' brand alive and if it wasn't for Alice solo many kids today would be saying Alice who! Like it or lump it, credit must be given where credit is due, not that I am detracting from the sterling work of the ACG, but they, the other band members have profited handsomely and indirectly from Alice solo.

NotMattCoddington
Trash
Trash

Post by NotMattCoddington » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:23 am

Perfectly said Seriously.

And it's worth mentioning that being old doesnt always make you wiser. It can sometimes just mean your incredibly out of touch.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:50 am

....and that obviously means that you were NOT around in the REAL glory days of Alice Cooper. Shame, you missed out on an amazing 6 years.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:47 am

Seriously wrote:the other band members have profited handsomely and indirectly from Alice solo.
And of course the same is true vice versa if you want to get technical about it. But I'm really not sure why this is an issue or even being brought up to begin with. They nominated the Alice Cooper group, it's natural the group would go in first, any complaints about Alice solo not being recognized enough should go toward the HOF Committee, not at the band members.
Me = Winning

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:42 am

Which he is correct in asserting
Neal is correct that this is the case
In fact, Alice publicly thanked the committee on the official site for their nomination of the original band!
Good, that's jolly good. Well done Alice!
This would be something that should be directed to the webmaster over there. These seem like the generic download purchase links that I see with articles mentioning Alice often.
The point is; such a 'generic' list contains more solo tracks the band tracks for the band induction - just interesting when considering the whole thing that's all.
I am 46 in December and bought School's Out when it was released and have been to 46 shows. Oh, and it is “you’re” as in 'you are'.
You can piss and moan all you want
I'm not moaning or urinating, I'm posting some thoughts on here if that's OK.

All I am saying is that before the band start wallowing in self satisfaction at their achievements (like they did at sickcon) - that are often fervently and eagerly declared as separate and more 'worthwhile' than from any solo work Alice Cooper has done - it needs to be remembered that this name and this concept has been kept alive by one man to the extent that interests, royalties and acknowledgement of the original band (which were awesome I might add) has been re-vitalised.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Gunner wrote: All I am saying is that before the band start wallowing in self satisfaction at their achievements (like they did at sickcon) - that are often fervently and eagerly declared as separate and more 'worthwhile' than from any solo work Alice Cooper has done - it needs to be remembered that this name and this concept has been kept alive by one man to the extent that interests, royalties and acknowledgement of the original band (which were awesome I might add) has been re-vitalised.
I'm surprised anyone would assume that Alice was being inducted as a solo artist. I've always expected that it would be the original band being inducted. The impact and influence of the original band's "Ezrin Years" are unparalleled in my mind.

The fact that Alice continued on as a solo artist and "kept the name alive", doesn't have any real bearing on the band being inducted into the HOF, however. Many artists have been long gone from business and/or off the commercial radar for years yet were still inducted.

I love all eras of Alice, some more than others, but I could even see an argument being made that some of Alice's solo ventures may actually have hurt the chances of Alice Cooper (the band) being inducted right from the start of their eligibility due to certain perceptions that may exist (hair metal Alice, Muppet Show, etc).
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:41 pm

>The fact that Alice continued on as a solo artist and "kept the name alive", doesn't have any real bearing on the band being inducted into the HOF,

I think it is a factor. It shouldn't be, but I think it is.

>Many artists have been long gone from business and/or off the commercial radar for years yet were still inducted.

That may be true, but we also know about the flaws in the nomination process, so the reason why someone has been nominated can be the same reason why someone has not.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:29 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:....and that obviously means that you were NOT around in the REAL glory days of Alice Cooper. Shame, you missed out on an amazing 6 years.
Showing my age but; I was a fan the moment I saw them on Top of the pops the first time and aware of the tsunami of the ACG coming to Britain prior to that, so what you say doesn’t hold water. The exposure Alice solo has continued to keep the brand firmly in the general publics’ mind no matter how you dress it up and more recently being a DJ playing their/his back catalogue and we as fans should be thankful of that.

“If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy” (couldn’t help that), through listening to Planet Rock may I add; I have bought more music through listening to “Breakfast with Alice Cooper” than I ever did as a teenager and this wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t reminded how good these other artist were. So for those puritans of the ACG, keep the faith certainly, but sometimes smell the coffee.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Smelt the coffee last Fri, saw Rush in Tampa, nearsest thing to a Led Zep concert. Absolutely brilliant.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 am

And it's worth mentioning that being old doesnt always make you wiser. It can sometimes just mean your incredibly out of touch.
Ahhhh....the entourage speaks. One thing being old DOES do - it allows you to recognize self-serving BS when you see it. Hey "Not"....watch out for sharp turns....don't want to break your nose.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 am

Gunner wrote: All I am saying is that before the band start wallowing in self satisfaction at their achievements (like they did at sickcon) - that are often fervently and eagerly declared as separate and more 'worthwhile' than from any solo work Alice Cooper has done - it needs to be remembered that this name and this concept has been kept alive by one man to the extent that interests, royalties and acknowledgement of the original band (which were awesome I might add) has been re-vitalised.
Gunner you are out of order! Neal, Dennis and Michael were NOT wallowing in self satisfaction at their achievements at the Sickcon convention they didn't say anything bad about Alice and they have every right to be proud of what they acheived as a band. I found them to be great guys and had Michael before and have met Alice and he was a great guy too.

Why are you trying to create division for what Alice Cooper the group and solo artist have done?

This is a good time for Alice Cooper band and solo why throw stones?
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Gunner you are out of order! Neal, Dennis and Michael were NOT wallowing in self satisfaction at their achievements at the Sickcon convention they didn't say anything bad about Alice and they have every right to be proud of what they acheived as a band. I found them to be great guys and had Michael before and have met Alice and he was a great guy too.
They (particularly Neal and to an extent Michael) play down Alice's contribution as much as possible, I don't know how you don't see that. At the convention, Neal started as he meant to carry on by boldly claiming within his first contribution that 'FIRSTLY, Alice Cooper is a band!'. From then on there were implications that Dennis wrote the more profound lyrics and that Alice's contribution was less than most may think. There were even the utterances of 'sour grapes' from within the crowd and so I am not alone in my thinking.

Neal constantly relegates Alice's solo career to be something completely separate from Alice Cooper, and indeed merely a solo career - which of course it isn’t; it's a continuation of the Alice Cooper concept from the mind of the guy that played the key key key role in the character. WhenEVER Neal is interviewed, he wastes NO TIME whatsoever in reminding everyone that Alice Cooper is only a band with a lead singer.
Why are you trying to create division for what Alice Cooper the group and solo artist have done?
I'm not doing, I'm merely commenting on the disregard for Alice's solo work (in terms of being Alice Cooper) that certain people have. All I am saying here is just watch and listen to certain people - particularly if this induction takes place. Many others have noticed it but don't speak up - people I know from sickcon.
This is a good time for Alice Cooper band and solo why throw stones?
Ironically, if you got my point, you would realise that is the opposite of what I am doing. I appreciate this nomination is for the band, but just watch some make this well well known to us. That's all I'm saying.