Congrats to Alice Cooper Group

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Re: Congrats to Alice Cooper Group

Post by Malchik » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:33 am

Toronto Bob wrote: The HAll is a joke because it has a prejudice against certain types of rock music (prog-rock and heavy metal in particular) They're running out of major artists, so we've seen them buckle on a few of the biggest (most units sold) metal and prog acts (Sabbath, Metallica, Genesis). But to overlook Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Yes, Alice, Rush, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Kiss, makes the Hall as important as the Grammys imo.
Well said, sir.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am

My difficulty with the likes of KISS being in (and many others for that matter) is that they would be in for being popular. There was no innovation with KISS in any shape or form - not lyrically, not musically, not even visually. All they did was put make-up on and play basic rock and roll - please someone explain to me how that is worthy of being in the rock and roll hall of fame? If that is the criteria (popularity) then the place should heaving with artists! I think it could be losing the meaning of what it is supposed to represent.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:38 am

Iron Maiden? Motorhead? WHY? They are just popular metal bands. I think if you want to go down the root of just damn good bands, I would have Cheap Trick and The Tubes in there - but even then neither of those broke new ground exactly.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Because they have been hugely influential on other bands! That's the point. Just because you don`t agree with what "influential" means doesn`t mean they weren`t.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:36 pm

But 'influencial' is not enough - everything is influencial, like my post here or the X Factor! I would have thought that those inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame were those that were innovative, added to the art form and developed it. You don't put Maiden, Motorhead, KISS, Van Halen with the likes of Elvis, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, The Who, Jimi Hendrix etc. The former are purveyors of an already existing form with nothing significantly new to add, the latter are the innovators, the ones that took things to different levels. IF the hall of fame is about artists that were popular and influencial based on that then it is very very shallow and pretty meaningless and you can put the Spice Girls in there!! Come one??

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Just because you don`t agree with what "influential" means doesn`t mean they weren`t.
You can't 'agree' about what 'influencial' means Si, it means what it means, it's not an opinion. It can take the form of inspiring someone to pick up the guitar to play, OR it could take the form of someone studying a new style of playing. The former is everyday influence, the latter is innovative influence and requires much more creativity and individuality. KISS is an example of the former, Alice is an example of the latter. Iron Maiden are an example of the former, Iggy Pop is an example of the latter. Catch my drift?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:34 pm

Gunner wrote:
Just because you don`t agree with what "influential" means doesn`t mean they weren`t.
You can't 'agree' about what 'influencial' means Si, it means what it means, it's not an opinion.
*I* know that.
Gunner wrote: It can take the form of inspiring someone to pick up the guitar to play, OR it could take the form of someone studying a new style of playing.
in·flu·en·tial/ˌinflo͞oˈenCHəl/
Adjective: Having great influence on someone or something

Kiss, Maiden and Motorhead (the bands YOU said weren`t worthy) all clearly come under that catagory.

Nothing to do with "studying a new style of playing" UNLESS that study influences others to copy and expand on it. ie if bob jones discovers a new chord but no one ever hears it,uses it or cares, he is NOT influencial as he's effected nothing. If however he uses the normal chords and lots of people see him and think "hey I can do that" then he is.
Gunner wrote: The former is everyday influence, the latter is innovative influence and requires much more creativity and individuality. KISS is an example of the former, Alice is an example of the latter. Iron Maiden are an example of the former, Iggy Pop is an example of the latter. Catch my drift?
I know what you are trying to say, but it doesn`t have much to do with the criteria of the Hall Of Fame.
The term they (HoF) use I think is "significant influence", not "Significant inovation" which is what you are talking about.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 am

spice girls will get in ASAP,gunner.you wait! they "influenced" the way I quickly turn pop music off!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 am

Gunner wrote:But 'influencial' is not enough - everything is influencial, like my post here or the X Factor! I would have thought that those inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame were those that were innovative, added to the art form and developed it. You don't put Maiden, Motorhead, KISS, Van Halen with the likes of Elvis, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, The Who, Jimi Hendrix etc. The former are purveyors of an already existing form with nothing significantly new to add, the latter are the innovators, the ones that took things to different levels. IF the hall of fame is about artists that were popular and influencial based on that then it is very very shallow and pretty meaningless and you can put the Spice Girls in there!! Come one??
I think there is a case for Eddie Van Halen alone to be considered an innovator as well as influential, the first Van Halen album was radical in how to approach rock n roll guitar playing and changed rock music for the next 10 years
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Flash
Trash
Trash

Post by Flash » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 pm

One week from now, the 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees will be announced on http://www.rockhall.com. Be sure to check the website Wednesday, December 15 at 10:30 a.m. EST to see who will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011.
http://rockhall.com/pressroom/announcem ... ouncement/

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Oh....score! That means they'll know by the night of the Pudding.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 am

Night of the Pudding would be a good name for an album.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:47 am

if the ACG doesn't make it,"the rock hall sucks" would be a great album title.
Not that I'm being pessimistic mind you,it's just we've been disappointed too many times.