Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Comeback #....?

Post by Dannorama » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:35 pm

I think it's easy to name Alice's biggest comebacks:

1986 - Constrictor / Nightmare Returns Tour
1989 - Trash/ Trashes the World Tour

Could 2011 be the third big comeback? Is there one in between that I missed? (Can Brutal Planet be put in this category?)

Really - - - how many artists out there have had three (or more) big comebacks?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Comeback #....?

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:45 am

I like to refer to Brutal Planet as the Constrictor of the new millennium; both albums were a brand new "heavy" Alice; both came about after a period of absence recording-wise; both brought in a new generation of fans.

I'd vote for Brutal Planet being lumped into the comeback grouping.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:50 pm

I can agree with Brutal Planet too.
And I hope 2011 is a BIG YEAR too. :alice:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 am

How do you define 'comeback'? I wouldn't necessarily claim that 'Trash' was a comeback, it was more a case of 'the next album being big' wasn't it? Were 'Welcome to my Nightmare', 'From The Inside' and 'Flush The Fashion' comebacks? There is an argument for each one there I think. Normally 'comeback' is associated with success/activity after a period of inactivity isn't it?? I would claim that 'Constrictor' and 'Brutal' should be considered as comebacks, and perhaps even the EARLY "80's" stuff. It could be argued that Alice has had several comebacks actually.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm

Trash was a commercial comeback as that album was the most successful since the 1970s even if artistically it wasn't in the same league as the classic 70s albums, at least the album spawned another massive hit in Poison. The Trash show was an artistic success as well as commercially, the Steven segment a particular high point of that show.

I do think Welcome To My Nightmare 2 will turn out to be an artistic and commercial success and as such will be a comeback in terms of chart success and introducing new fans and winning back some of those older fans who yearn for that classic rock sound that is rooted in the 1970s and has never been surpassed.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:00 pm

A comeback in terms of musical success ? lets hope so.
in terms of inactivity ? well he ain`t never been away has he, he seems to be as busy now as in any part of the last 30 years.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Right, Baz! See... to me, a "comeback" signifies extra interest in the performer. Be it sales, ticket gross, media attention.... etc. If one were to be totally scientific about it, then ACAS could be considered a comeback as well... What with the MEDIA BLITZ and all... However, the resultant impact of the album left many - including me - plusless.

However, I am not a scientist. I go by feel. Alice's big comebacks, TO ME, were:

> "Constrictor" and tour. (A return to Alice Cooper proper.)

- and -

> "Trash" and tour. (Big attention and a monster single in Poison.)

"Brutal Planet," TO ME, was a wee bit force-fed. Not everyone took a bite.

Let the slings and arrows commence!!

I am of the position that this next album has the potential to really catapult Alice Cooper into rare teritory. Let's hope they can take us all on a great ride!

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 am

Hallelelujah to that Danno, that train seems to have been a long time coming.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:29 pm

I think a Top 10 (Billboard) showing in the US,could be a comeback of sorts.A bit of research on bands in "hard music" genre shows the following peak chart positions of their current studio releases:

Ozzy #4
Megadeth#9
Godsmack #1
Rob Zombie #8
Deftones #6
5 finger death Punch #7
Korn #2
Nickelback #2
Avenge Sevenfold #1
Buckcherry #10
Slayer #12 (well.pretty close!)
and of course Disturbed whose last 3 albums have gone #1,probably 4 after next weeks release of "Asylum"

Some of this bands are are on big labels,and some are not,and with a little luck,great promotion,and hype of a sequel........it could be a reality for Alice too.
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

ALICEROCKS
Killer
Killer

Post by ALICEROCKS » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:46 am

I think Welcome to my nightmare would be a come back as a solo artist after the break up of the original band.
I Gotta get outta this place,I'll go runnin in outer space yeah!...."Im Eighteen".

Pennypacker
Trash
Trash

Post by Pennypacker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi internet.

My very first post here.

I have a feeling that Alice's upcoming W2MN might indeed qualify as comeback. However I'm not sure if this should also be taken as a clue; Alice is getting older, he's had some big voice issues lately and is at the top of his 21th century career. Do you think he's still up for another comeback? And now Ezrin, WTMN..Broadway(?).. Wouldn't you call it quits when you're still kicking ass?

Hopefully this is not the case here.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Pennypacker wrote:However I'm not sure if this should also be taken as a clue; Alice is getting older, he's had some big voice issues lately
what 'voice issues' are you referring to?
Pennypacker wrote:Wouldn't you call it quits when you're still kicking ass?
depends on what you mean by 'kicking ass.'

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 pm

I would expect he's referring to the laryngitis/lost voice that Alice had issues with from about the middle of July through much of August.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:I would expect he's referring to the laryngitis/lost voice that Alice had issues with from about the middle of July through much of August.
wasn't that big of deal. pennypacker is making it seem as if alice has had reoccurring issues that would warrant his retirement from the singing business. such is far from the truth. although alice's singing career may be on the verge of winding down, it certainly isn't because of 'big voice issues lately.'

Mike Drew
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Mike Drew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:57 pm

I think his voice these days is better live than I have ever heard it...the rougher the better..soundz good to me. :grin:
cheerz
md
"Its Only Rock N' Roll But Its Expensive"

www.michaeldrew.co.uk

Pennypacker
Trash
Trash

Post by Pennypacker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Maybe I have understood wrong but I thought if laryngitis continues over a few weeks then it is chronical and in that state can occur often and therefore lead to loss of voice so you can't sing anymore? Perhaps the word 'BIG' was too much though.

And by kicking ass I mean..he hasn't really been this popular since the end of 90's.

edit. Mike, yeah I like his voice too better nowadays. I'm not trying to complain here or anything, just a simple thought nothing too serious. :)

Mike Drew
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Mike Drew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm not trying to complain here or anything, just a simple thought nothing too serious. :)
No offence taken,I like hearing every ones take on things. :)
cheerzagain
md
"Its Only Rock N' Roll But Its Expensive"

www.michaeldrew.co.uk

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Pennypacker wrote:if laryngitis continues over a few weeks then it is chronical and in that state can occur often and therefore lead to loss of voice so you can't sing anymore?
Alice didn't have laryngitis, though.

While it was referred to as 'blisters' on his vocal cords, the proper term is polyps on the vocal cords.

Read all about it:

http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disor ... Polyps.htm
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 am

I get where you are coming from, Pennypacker. Welcome aboard! You'll find that we are a fairly good bunch of folks around here. I hope!! (Can't always count on Baz)

It is a concern when there are medical issues involving the money-maker! FYI, Geddy Lee had similar issues (nodules, I recall - anybody?) in the early 80's, and he came out fine.

Yes, our man Alice is older than early 80's Geddy, but I am going with Matt's take: Not a big deal.

And YES! Alice is still very much kicking ass. More than Robert Plant, that's for sure!!

Simple thoughts are often at the root of great ideas, so keep them coming!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Paul Stanley of KISS has also been having issues with polyps the last few years. His voice is not what it once was. Paul really pushes it though so perhaps that's the reason his voice hasn't really recovered. His problems might be more severe too.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."