The Alice and Marilyn duet

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Chickin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

The Alice and Marilyn duet

Post by Chickin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi, I was just watching some videos from Alice on youtube, and after a while, I found this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKkmADWF ... re_related .
And ofcourse, me a big Alice fan was excited because I never saw them doing a duet before. And the duet showed me two things: 1. (and my main question too) What is with Alice? He's standing there with his hands in his pockets singing the song. He never does that.. Was something wrong back then?
and 2. Manson can't sing live :p

Also I saw the video from I'm Eighteen with them, and that was much, much better :). But this one where they sing Mansons song is reall weird...
For picking up corn and eating worms casually... All Chickins can go to hell

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Alice and Marilyn duet

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Chickin wrote:And ofcourse, me a big Alice fan was excited because I never saw them doing a duet before. And the duet showed me two things: 1. (and my main question too) What is with Alice? He's standing there with his hands in his pockets singing the song. He never does that.. Was something wrong back then?
Alice did this at times during the various reunion performances I've seen too (i.e. hand in pocket).

I'm not sure if it's because he's uncomfortable... or he doesn't want to commit to the performance as "Alice"... or he wants a casual vibe or something.

It did strike me as odd every time I've seen it.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:12 pm

The hand in pocket thing seems to be something Alice does when he's performing as "the man" rather than as "the character"; he did it when he performed some songs with Rob Kreiger at the Pudding in 2008 and his performance was also fairly reserved when he did some of his own numbers at Aces & Ales. As to the reason for it - not sure. Maybe it's because Alice is so used to performing with props that if there aren't any, he really feels their absence, or (perhaps more likely), Alice the man (as opposed to character) doesn't feel the need to prowl the stage and overall just has a different performance style.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah, that version of Sweet Dreams is bloody awful, cant bring myself to watch it again! The problem is.....Alice didnt really know the song so its littered with mistakes. I would guess that's why he doesnt look entirely comfortable.

However, the version of 18 with MM is pretty darn good.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:42 pm

I recall some mistakes MM did on I'm Eighteen (at least one where he came into a verse/chorus too early). Not disrespecting anyone's performance as I could surely do no better, just an observation.

As an added note, saw the Antichrist Superstar tour in 1997 and MM hit some incredible notes and sang very well.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Shoesalesman wrote: As an added note, saw the Antichrist Superstar tour in 1997 and MM hit some incredible notes and sang very well.
Yep i saw that tour and also the Mechanical Animals tour and both performances were excellent. Having said that i saw him a few years ago at Download festival and it was a bit of a mess.

Chickin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Chickin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I don't know much from Marilyn Manson and the things I 'know' aren't very positive. A couple of my friends were die hard fans but they all said that he's not that good anymore..

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Chickin wrote:I don't know much from Marilyn Manson and the things I 'know' aren't very positive. A couple of my friends were die hard fans but they all said that he's not that good anymore..
He just hasn't looked after himself very well.... plus he sacked much of the original band

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:41 pm

I always thought it would have been better if Alice did the Sweet Dreams part more as "Alice"
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Chickin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Chickin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
He just hasn't looked after himself very well.... plus he sacked much of the original band
That explains a lot! I think that's something a lot of artists are having a hard thime with. I mean taking care of themselves.
HORRORHOLIC wrote: I always thought it would have been better if Alice did the Sweet Dreams part more as "Alice"
That's what I was thinking when I saw the video.. But it shows a different side from him, and that was in all ways a surprise :) . But I saw him live for the very first time the 1st of august, and with that, I'm not dissapointed at all :) It was an amazing experience! Now hoping that I can see him more than this one time..

AC Collect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by AC Collect » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Yeah I Think Alice should have played 'Alice'. Just to upstage Manson :evil:
It's Just The Little Things That Drive me Wild!

veronica
Trash
Trash

Post by veronica » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Perhaps the deliberate intention was to not upstage him on his (mansons) show?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 am

>Perhaps the deliberate intention was to not upstage him on his (mansons) show?

I am staggered at how much discussion this has caused. The duets with Marilyn Manson were both completely unrehearsed and only decided upon backstage once Alice and Manson met (for the first time ever, in case anyone was unaware of that). There really isn't much more to say as to why the duets turned out the way they did.

Chickin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Chickin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 am

A_MichaelUK wrote: I am staggered at how much discussion this has caused. The duets with Marilyn Manson were both completely unrehearsed and only decided upon backstage once Alice and Manson met (for the first time ever, in case anyone was unaware of that). There really isn't much more to say as to why the duets turned out the way they did.
Well, I didn't know that! You wouldt think that if two worldfamous shockrockers do a duet, it would have been a bit more rehearsed. Really, it's hard for me to think about Alice in an unrehearsed show...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

>You wouldt think that if two worldfamous shockrockers do a duet, it would have been a bit more rehearsed.

They had only just met!

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Here's a good extract from an interview where Manson speaks about the duet:
http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/Intervie ... ice_Cooper

It's certainly my favorite collaboration I've seen from both of them. Whilst it's spontaneous with mistakes, I find it shows the respect they have for each other.

Would have loved to have been at the gigs.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:I recall some mistakes MM did on I'm Eighteen (at least one where he came into a verse/chorus too early). Not disrespecting anyone's performance as I could surely do no better, just an observation.
Mansons mistake actually makes some sense, he seemed unaware that the guitar solos are longer live and tried to start the third verse where it starts on the studio version.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:47 pm

If anyone is interested, Alice is appearing on Manson's authorised biography tonight in the US on the Biography channel talking about this duet.

A clip can be seen here with alice (if you click on the 4th video on the row of clips below the vid)

http://www.biography.com/video.do?name= ... 5293984001