WTMN 2....

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: WTMN 2....

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:55 am

steven_crayn wrote:yes and your opinion when asked what albums you and others thought were subpar was Goes To Hell and Lace just go back and read what you said instead of trying to backtrack.
No one was backtracking Steven. I said nothing different either, not sure what you're going on about.
Me = Winning

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:10 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:yes and your opinion when asked what albums you and others thought were subpar was Goes To Hell and Lace just go back and read what you said instead of trying to backtrack.
No one was backtracking Steven. I said nothing different either, not sure what you're going on about.
Steven, you have an annoying habit of misquoting or accusing people of saying things that they didnt. If WYM said anything of the like then just go back and quote the post so we can all see for ourselves.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:
Steven, you have an annoying habit of misquoting or accusing people of saying things that they didnt. If WYM said anything of the like then just go back and quote the post so we can all see for ourselves.
Do not accuse me of misquoting people just because you get annoyed when you get your facts wrong.

If you read my question and the response
WickedYoungMan wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:
What subpar albums do you and these other people think Ezrin has done with Alice?
Goes To Hell & Lace and Whiskey. But I was speaking in general, such as some of his work with KISS (specifically "Music From The Elder,") David Gilmour's second solo album, and the last two Pink Floyd albums, for example, which general do not receive a lot of praise.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 pm

steven_crayn wrote:no it's not if the albums were subpar the production and songs would be no good, the production was as good as what had gone before and there were some great songs on those albums but the style was a bit different to what people had come to expect from Alice. I'm The Coolest and King Of The Silver Screen for example may have had too much humour for some narrow minds but there is no doubting how brilliant they and other songs Ezrin produced after Nightmare were. I Love America off DaDa for example is brilliant or do you think that is subpar?

There have been many great albums with sub par production.
The two New York Dolls albums and Johnny Thunders LAMF spring to mind. The production is not at fault on ACGTH more the songs are weak. LAW suffers from both weak songs and production. I remember someone using the term thin and
reedy which just about sums it up. I like Da Da a lot but the production is hardly stellar. I think Andy Michael in his fanzine likened one of Wagners solos as wet as a fart or something like that. ( it might be the one in No Mans Land ).

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:43 am

Enough, already! I am hoping that this new album - whatever it is named or what music it contains - is a rewarding experience.

How about anyone who wants to describe their feelings toward one or another past album start their own thread titled after that album?

Until we actually HEAR this new album, save your conjecture on it's content.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 am

Dannorama wrote:Enough, already! I am hoping that this new album - whatever it is named or what music it contains - is a rewarding experience.

How about anyone who wants to describe their feelings toward one or another past album start their own thread titled after that album?

Until we actually HEAR this new album, save your conjecture on it's content.

Yes let's stifle all conversation.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:14 am

steven_crayn wrote:Do not accuse me of misquoting people just because you get annoyed when you get your facts wrong.

If you read my question and the response
I don't see where I "backtracked."
Me = Winning

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Steven, you can't thrown phrases like 'backtracked' around without referring to where they have back-tracked?! I have re-read WYM's posts and don't find any evidence of back tracking.

And exactly what facts have i got wrong?

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:53 pm

wym said he didn't say those albums were subpar when he clearly did as you can see from my question and his answer
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:04 pm

steven_crayn wrote:wym said he didn't say those albums were subpar
Steven, you asked me what albums I and these "other people" thought were subpar. I gave you two albums. I never once denied saying that (and in fact repeated it in the same post that you claimed I was "backtracking" on!) I'm not really sure what it is you're going on about.
Me = Winning

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 pm

no I asked what albums do YOU and these others consider subpar and your answer to that question was the 2 albums in question, you didn't in the initial answer to the question differentiate between yourself and these "others".

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:56 pm

WOW!! Did we get off track here or what! Can we please move on.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:55 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:no it's not if the albums were subpar the production and songs would be no good, the production was as good as what had gone before and there were some great songs on those albums but the style was a bit different to what people had come to expect from Alice. I'm The Coolest and King Of The Silver Screen for example may have had too much humour for some narrow minds but there is no doubting how brilliant they and other songs Ezrin produced after Nightmare were. I Love America off DaDa for example is brilliant or do you think that is subpar?

There have been many great albums with sub par production.
The two New York Dolls albums and Johnny Thunders LAMF spring to mind. The production is not at fault on ACGTH more the songs are weak. LAW suffers from both weak songs and production. I remember someone using the term thin and
reedy which just about sums it up. I like Da Da a lot but the production is hardly stellar. I think Andy Michael in his fanzine likened one of Wagners solos as wet as a fart or something like that. ( it might be the one in No Mans Land ).
if you listen to the awesome My God you should hear the production on that is as good as anything Alice has done so I can't see how you can criticise Lace from a production angle, the album wasn't as heavy as previous Cooper classics but does that make it a bad album? I Never Wrote Those Songs is a great ballad and there is nothing wrong with No More Love At Your Conveinience, King Of The Silver Screen or It's Hot Tonight, yes not a rock album as such and not as good as Nightmare etc... but not a total write off. I also think DaDa has some of Dick Wagners finest playing such as on Pass The Gun Around and as for Goes To Hell that is a damn fine album not as good as Nightmare but still a fine work

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:14 pm

" My God " ( horrible song aside ) could have been epic with the orchestration and it's not. Sounds like they rented the local vicars organ and recorded it. The sound on INWTS ( one of the worst songs he ever recorded ) is also lacking. It drifts up and down and meanders. It really doesn't sound like an Ezrin produced album ( no Ezrin trademarks ) or an Alice Cooper album ( maybe it should have been released as a Maurice Escargot album ala Chris Gaines ). If Alice had released this befor WTMN alarm bells would have been ringing. At the end of the day neither Alice nor Ezrin will be remembered for this unfocused mess.

I'm a big fan of Da Da ( Fresh Blood aside )but it sounds like it was done on a shoestring budget. Drum machines replace live drums. I am sure that Wagner will not be remembered for his playing here as few have heard this album. Weren't all three of them seriously f'ed up on various intoxicants?

If Ezrin was looking for a gig and they asked him for a resume ( that you could listen to )do you seriously thing these two offerings are amongst his best works?

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:16 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I'm a big fan of Da Da ( Fresh Blood aside )but it sounds like it was done on a shoestring budget. Drum machines replace live drums.
Wasn't it Alice's desire (maybe Bob Ezrin's too) to experiment with electronics and/or computer generated music for this album, not necessarily related to budget? As a side note I think four of the nine album tracks had a live drummer... to some degree.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:I'm a big fan of Da Da ( Fresh Blood aside )but it sounds like it was done on a shoestring budget. Drum machines replace live drums.
Wasn't it Alice's desire (maybe Bob Ezrin's too) to experiment with electronics and/or computer generated music for this album, not necessarily related to budget? As a side note I think four of the nine album tracks had a live drummer... to some degree.
Yes. I think Ezrin had one of the first Fairlight synths or something akin to it and wanted to try it out. I'm guessing budget was an issue as Warner did not behind this in any shape or form. I don't believe there were any ads in the music press at that time. You are right about there being some live drums also.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 pm

>I'm guessing budget was an issue as Warner did not behind this in any shape or form.

Well, you got it right in your first sentence in that Ezrin had a certain piece of equipment he wanted to work with, but you contradict that with your second sentence.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:25 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I'm guessing budget was an issue as Warner did not behind this in any shape or form.

Well, you got it right in your first sentence in that Ezrin had a certain piece of equipment he wanted to work with, but you contradict that with your second sentence.

Explain.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 am

>xplain.

You start by saying "Ezrin had one of the first Fairlight synths or something akin to it and wanted to try it out." Then you follow that up with the extract I quoted in my last post. They are two separate statements which you have not connected, therefore they are contradictory.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Anyone know (aside from 3 tracks),when Nightmare 2 will be recorded??
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind