New recordings of old classics

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: New recordings of old classics

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 pm

steven_crayn wrote:Sometimes you can polish things too much, it's like guitar players getting more technical but losing the essence of the song, same with production.
Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of remastering or re-recording, especially when it comes to Alice's older material. There's something to be said about the old and familiar pops and hisses (or whatever have you) in this material; leaves the human element and spirit of the times in tact. Granted it's not perfect... but I prefer it this way.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:42 pm

'BTW, anybody here had difficulty moving these mp3s to iTunes? I have been unable to.'

I had unsual problems too. First I clicked on the export to iTunes program the mp3's came with and nothing happened for ages - but found playing each song from the folder was enough to export it to the library individually.

Much agree with Shoey here - much prefer the originals also. But I don't think the intention was to make them any better, juding from how it's presented... Alice 'covering' his own songs, and for a cheap price too.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:30 am

Gunner wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:sometimes you can polish things too much, it's like guitar players getting more technical but losing the essence of the song, same with production.

Those albums that Bob produced for Alice still stand up as better than anything around today in my opinion, less is sometimes more. Bob knew when to be subtle, he would have an acoustic guitar or horns on something that if you took it out you would notice its omission, even though those instruments were not 'in your face' too much on the finished product.

As Alice has said he was the George Martin of Alice Cooper.

With this forthcoming album we will see he still is and realise what we have been missing.
Good points! I do think though (and this was my point essentially) that it is highly likely that Alice did as much 'jump/punch in' vocal takes on Elected with Bob Ezrin, but that it was mixed, edited and produced better so as to be less noticeable. If you really listen to Elected for example, it
would inhuman to sing it as it stands in one take - just from a breathing perspective alone
Obviously a new recording of Elected for some game isn't gonna compare with Ezrin,Warner Bros and Alice at his peak with one of the great vocals in rock history coaxed out of Alice by Bob getting him to perform it in front of a mirror which also happened to be one of John Lennon's favourite records.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:18 pm

The inclusion of "Wheels" or "Babies" would of been better IMHO.I have only heard "Elected",and it was alright.
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:08 pm

:alice: I really like the new updated Alice voice. It puts him in the NOW. So in concert he sounds more like it to me. The music is good but too clean. I guess I like the rusty old sounds .
But on the other hand, I'm all for keeping Alice in the flow and up to date with everything. :clap:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Vlad the Impala
Killer
Killer

Post by Vlad the Impala » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Moved mine directly to iTunes with no trouble at all.
Maybe I'm just lucky!
:clap:
School's out FOREVER!!"
Speaking as an ex-teacher, I can confirm that it really is!!

froginsox
Trash
Trash

Post by froginsox » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 am

pitkin88 wrote:
shadowman wrote:is there any info as to who played on these tracks?

Add to that who produced them and are they all MP3?

They were produced by Bob Ezrin