American Idol???

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: American Idol???

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 29, 2010 7:37 pm

>I would had thought Simon Cowell and the other panelists could have got on their feet and given a decent round of applause.

Was there not a commercial break right at the end of Alice's performance?

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 am

Dunno Andy, but I have to watch lots of stuff like this and usually find that if they are going to give a standing ovation, they normally are on their feet as the music fades.

Never mind eh, just me being a bit 'picky'
...And personally, I don't care.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun May 30, 2010 9:30 am

Simon does not have a big love for rock music and considers most of it very dated. He is only interested in what he can sell in today's market to teen aged girls and make money on.

That Bret Michaels or Ryan Seacrest are being considered as possible replacements further shows the show has jumped the shark.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 30, 2010 9:39 am

>Dunno Andy,

So it is possible that Alice was applauded during the commercial break. No - one should assume that he wasn't.

>Never mind eh, just me being a bit 'picky'

No problem at all.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 am

Jumping Jack wrote:Simon does not have a big love for rock music and considers most of it very dated. He is only interested in what he can sell in today's market to teen aged girls and make money on.
From what I've seen of this and similar shows it's very rare that the judges have any clue about rock music at all, and Cowell is no exception. I seem to remember on XFactor Louis Walsh called Cowell on it one time as well (and admitted he wasn`t an expert either).

The classic comment from one of the judges when someone did "Dream On" on a "rock night" was that it was good, but they thought they should really have gone for an old Aerosmith song like "crazy" (I think that was the one) rather then a recent one.
Doh!

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Only watched the show today.
How cool are The Bee Gees . :clap:
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

i skimmed through the show last night and didn't see the judges stand for any of the dinasour-era acts they had perform on the show. the crowd, however, gave alice a standing-o, but that was more likely because it was the opening number. although great exposure for alice, his appearance was extremely obscure and seemed very out of place.

and what si said is correct. american idol is based around CURRENT trends in music. therefore, they need judges who are up to date on current trends in music. their knowledge (or lack of) of 'classic' music in any genre really doesn't come into play.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Si wrote:The classic comment from one of the judges when someone did "Dream On" on a "rock night" was that it was good, but they thought they should really have gone for an old Aerosmith song like "crazy" (I think that was the one) rather then a recent one.
Doh!
Yep, that was one of the few episodes I've seen. It was that newer brunette girl. If I'm not mistaken, I think she said another equally brilliant comment on that episode.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:25 am

mattcoddington wrote: and what si said is correct. american idol is based around CURRENT trends in music. therefore, they need judges who are up to date on current trends in music. their knowledge (or lack of) of 'classic' music in any genre really doesn't come into play.
To be fair that wasn`t quite the Point I was trying to make, as I don't agree that Rock music isn`t a current music. Quite the oppersite. Cowell knows that rock music is popular, which is why they have "rock Weeks" on his shows. He just knows very little about it while claiming he does.

Rock music does and always has transended "trends" in most ways, standing outside the mainstream, while having it's own internal "trends" which the outside world knows nothing about.

Just look at the way the mainstream media has covered (or rather not covered) the passing of RJD. If this was an American Idol contestant, who basically will be forgotten in a year anyway, it would have been all over the frontpages and TV news, but because it is one of the biggest legends in ROCK music, who's influence can't even be measured in the ROCK comunity, the mainstream media has all but ignored it.

There seem to now be two (maybe more) musical worlds out there that barely connect. I know which one I would rather be part of.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 am

Si wrote:Just look at the way the mainstream media has covered (or rather not covered) the passing of RJD. If this was an American Idol contestant, who basically will be forgotten in a year anyway, it would have been all over the frontpages and TV news, but because it is one of the biggest legends in ROCK music, who's influence can't even be measured in the ROCK comunity, the mainstream media has all but ignored it.
While I agree with what you say in your post, it's funny you mention this example because strangely enough I was actually surprised of the attention it did manage to get in the mainstream media (even if it wasn't "Top story" fare, which may be what you meant.) For example, I was eating at a restaurant the day he died and it was a story on CNN, and then was the front page of Yahoo when I got home. It was even mentioned in the Sunday Paper where I live the next day. So don't think I'm trying to contradict you or saying that "you're wrong," not that in the slightest. Perhaps more that we both saw it from different perspectives or expectations.

I know that's all beside the bigger point though, and your point still stands.
Me = Winning

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:49 am

> Rock music does and always has transended "trends" in most ways, standing outside the mainstream, while having it's own internal "trends" which the outside world knows nothing about.

But isn`t that the way most fans would prefer it ?
Whilst we complain that our music doesn`t get the credit or coverage it deserves, deep down do we want to be part of the mainstream music scene. It`s because it seems to be a ` us against the world ` scenario that makes it special.
I`m not saying for a moment that something like the passing of RJD should be totally ignored by the press , but I`d hate to think that these shows like American Idol/Britains Got Talent etc were full of `artistes` wanting to be rock stars.
Do we really want Simon Cowell on our side.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:03 am

After last night, the answer is no, the dog had more talent than the 'crying boys'.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:04 am

Would be nice though to have some classic rock back in the mainstream like when Alice ruled the world 72/73. Have a good feeling we are going to see Alice having his biggest selling album for a while come this next release.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:41 am

WickedYoungMan wrote: While I agree with what you say in your post, it's funny you mention this example because strangely enough I was actually surprised of the attention it did manage to get in the mainstream media (even if it wasn't "Top story" fare, which may be what you meant.)
Could well have been different in the USA, but over here there was nothing that I saw (and I can only speak from a UK perspective obviously). When I heard I turned the news on, and left it on all day switching periodcially between BBC News and SKY and they didn`t even mention it. The following day (monday) I had Absolute Radio (the so called rock channel) on in the van and they didn`t mention it either.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:46 am

Baz wrote:But isn`t that the way most fans would prefer it ?
Whilst we complain that our music doesn`t get the credit or coverage it deserves, deep down do we want to be part of the mainstream music scene. It`s because it seems to be a ` us against the world ` scenario that makes it special.
I`m not saying for a moment that something like the passing of RJD should be totally ignored by the press , but I`d hate to think that these shows like American Idol/Britains Got Talent etc were full of `artistes` wanting to be rock stars.
Do we really want Simon Cowell on our side.
Oh I agree, however this was a MAJOR news event to a substatial percentage of the population (not majority, but more people then a lot of things they cover). No, we don`t want the mainstream intruding most of the time, but there are times that the mainsream SHOULD take note, and certainly a NEWS organisation who shouldn`t carry such bias.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:11 pm

I agree, but since when has the news coverage been fair. I suppose we shouldn`t be surprised that Ms Church`s split made all the headlines.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Si wrote:To be fair that wasn`t quite the Point I was trying to make, as I don't agree that Rock music isn`t a current music. Quite the oppersite. Cowell knows that rock music is popular, which is why they have "rock Weeks" on his shows. He just knows very little about it while claiming he does.
rock music is a current type of music, but the current TREND is far from rock. american idol is built around what's currently trending. they have 'rock week' to show how versatile the contestants are, not because rock is popular. it's really not.
Si wrote:Rock music does and always has transended "trends" in most ways, standing outside the mainstream, while having it's own internal "trends" which the outside world knows nothing about.
which explains why american idol isn't based around rock music, and so it doesn't surprise me if any of the american idol judges aren't knowledgeable around rock. they were picked to critique performers who are trying to be the american idol - not one single american idol winner performs rock music. some of the runners-up do, however.
Si wrote:Just look at the way the mainstream media has covered (or rather not covered) the passing of RJD. If this was an American Idol contestant, who basically will be forgotten in a year anyway, it would have been all over the frontpages and TV news, but because it is one of the biggest legends in ROCK music, who's influence can't even be measured in the ROCK comunity, the mainstream media has all but ignored it.
correct. further proves that mainstream music isn't about rock.
Si wrote:There seem to now be two (maybe more) musical worlds out there that barely connect. I know which one I would rather be part of.
but which one will an american idol winner most likely be a part of?

it makes sense - if you are going to hold a singing competition based on CURRENT music trends, you will get judges who are knowledgeable about current music. i wouldn't expect simon cowell to know a lot about classic rock because that's not his job.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:32 pm

I don`t disagree really with anything you have to say regarding AI, but I will admit I was kinda going off topic with most of my "rant" and not aiming it specifically at Idol.

I do disagree however that "rock is not popular".

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:51 am

Si wrote:I don`t disagree really with anything you have to say regarding AI, but I will admit I was kinda going off topic with most of my "rant" and not aiming it specifically at Idol.

I do disagree however that "rock is not popular".
it's popular, but it's not the MOST popular mainstream type of music. who is super popular right now? lady gaga, justin bieber, miley cyrus, rappers.... people give nickelback crap all the time, but i'd take them over lady gaga.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:49 am

Agreed, but as I say, I WAS admitedly going a little more off topic and general.