BOB EZRIN will write with Alice Cooper on the new album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Re: BOB EZRIN will write with Alice Cooper on the new album

Post by Railwayman » Sat May 29, 2010 7:54 pm

I am curious about this as well Andy, one cannot deny that Trash catapulted Alice back into the public psyche. It is not my favourite album by any means but it certainly got a lot of people listening to the Coop him which has to be a good thing. Who knows if anything will come of the 'writing day' with DC anyway. If the likes of DC are interested in getting involved it augers well.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat May 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Cooper, Ezrin and Child sounds pretty awesome to me, Child has also worked well when working with Alice plus one such as with Diane Warren on Bed Of Nails and John McCurry on Poison.
Can we put the music snobbery to bed? those songs were not only great but hits
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat May 29, 2010 8:14 pm

While admitting I placed Trash at the back of the shelf for a while in the past, I was surprised at how solid and consistent the writing was when I started listening to it again. A more commercial album, yes, but the lyrics had earned merit whether you liked the music or not. Just my opinion.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 29, 2010 8:19 pm

>It is not my favourite album by any means

It's not one of mine either, but my point was that Luney Tune was judging the new songs before they have even been recorded!

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Luney Tune » Sat May 29, 2010 9:34 pm

To Dada God, what do you mean by put the snobbery away ? Is it snobbery to not like Trash ?
And I don`t put down the songs om Trash as bad or anything, they were hits ok but to me they are not Alice C songs the way i like them.

And I have not judged the new album !!. I will listen to it with an open mind of course. I just don`t like anything that DC has been involved in.
It`s all in this luney tune....

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat May 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Luney Tune wrote:I was very happy when i saw that BE should be working with Alice again. And that is of course based on the great work the two of them has done on the classic 70`s albums. I am equally dissapointed with DC. He is responsible for the worst change Alice have ever taken. The "Bon Jovi" Alice. This is so far from the gothic/pshycho Alice that I grew up to like in the seventies. Thrash is an album i never plays.
And it is not enough to call it WTMN 2 to make a good album. I hope he stays with The Night Shift.
The songs are barely being written now and you're already condeming the new album???

To be fair, the same has been said about 1 or 2 albums from the 1970s that Bob Ezrin produced. While you may not like "Trash," and I don't necessarily care for it either, you have to admit that it's huge success is probably the main reason why Alice still has some popularity today with younger kids. "Poison" is a more modern hit that younger people can relate to, and it did open the doors for him. So dislike Desmond Child all you want, but he did help save Alice from complete obscurity and opened the floodgate to a new generation of fans.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat May 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Luney Tune wrote:And I have not judged the new album !!. I will listen to it with an open mind of course.
This is what you just said in your previous post.....
And it is not enough to call it WTMN 2 to make a good album. I hope he stays with The Night Shift.
Me = Winning

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sat May 29, 2010 10:26 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:To be fair, the same has been said about 1 or 2 albums from the 1970s that Bob Ezrin produced. While you may not like "Trash," and I don't necessarily care for it either, you have to admit that it's huge success is probably the main reason why Alice still has some popularity today with younger kids. "Poison" is a more modern hit that younger people can relate to, and it did open the doors for him. So dislike Desmond Child all you want, but he did help save Alice from complete obscurity and opened the floodgate to a new generation of fans.
I agree with you about "Poison". I say a similar thing to people when they tell me they don't understand why he does it live. I think some fans (die-hard, or from certain eras, etc.) sometimes forget that Alice has fans from several generations. There are quite a few fans I run into that only know Alice from the '70s and aren't familiar with his post '70s work. There are people that only know the late '80s/early '90s work, as well, and of course others as well.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 29, 2010 11:17 pm

>And it is not enough to call it WTMN 2 to make a good album.

Although Luney Tunes writes in English to a very high standard, the fact that he as or she is from Norway might have to be taken into consideration. However, as far as the people who hate "Trash" are concerned, if Alice had said he wanted to make an exact replica of "Trash" and that's why he was working with Desmond Child again, then they would be justified in being worried, but he hasn't, so while discussions are almost always good, making assumptions about something which doesn't even exist is going to get very tiresome.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat May 29, 2010 11:29 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:So dislike Desmond Child all you want, but he did help save Alice from complete obscurity and opened the floodgate to a new generation of fans.
I haven't heard anything Desmond might have been involved in lately, but it could be possible that twenty-one years since Trash may have changed his song writing style or general style with music building. Clarifying that I'm not in the camp that feels Trash was a let down (I like Desmond's signature/influence on the album), but for folks worried about his involvement with Alice again... could turn out to be a very good thing depending on where DC is right now with his art.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sun May 30, 2010 12:23 am

Shoesalesman wrote:I haven't heard anything Desmond might have been involved in lately, but it could be possible that twenty-one years since Trash may have changed his song writing style or general style with music building.
That is a great point. As an example, just think of all the various music/song/etc. styles Alice has done in any 21 year period. Look at '73-'94 as an example. Who knows where this could go. As far as I'm concerned it's up in the air. Either way, I'm excited that something is happening.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:01 am

I'm not gonna judge it until it is done. So Desmond is writing? He does have a track record of hits, even Disco ugh "I Was Made For Loving You" He also did as Steven Crayn pointed out "Dangerous Tonight" and he was also involved with "Might As Well Be On Mars" Those are both great songs in my opinion. Don't put the man in a box he very well might surprise you. Besides who knows who else might be involved involved? Trash isn't my favorite Alice album but it is hardly terrible.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:31 am

With Alice I have learned to expect.. The unexpected.. The very ideal of a sequel to one of the greatest albums ever created is very exciting.. Steven slipping off to sleep again only to have the nightmare come back... And OH MY GOD!! A follow up tour!! The possibilities are endless. I'll be waiting.. eagerly waiting.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 am

One of Desmond's latest works is the Scorpions album Humanity - Hour I (2007), which he produced together with James Michael, and also took part in the song writing for the album. Together with other people, Desmond co-wrote all the songs on the album, except for one.
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun May 30, 2010 9:45 am

DC's work with Aerosmith was generally good, though I am not a big fan of their ballads. Ultimately, it is Coop who determines the style and content, and Ezrin and Child can only make suggestions. Coop will not cover their songs, they will simply help on his material. If we end up with cheezy music and a show with dancing teeth that is Coop's call, no one else's. The buck stops with him no matter how much is outsourced or the result of collaboration. He will have artistic veto power over everything. Ezrin and Child can help create great hard rock songs if that is truly where Coop wants to go and if he puts in the time to write creative lyrics and guitar hooks.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun May 30, 2010 11:28 am

It does my head in when i read you all making wild assumptions before we even know the facts.

Just because DC produced Trash, what on Earth makes you think he'll turn this into Trash 2?

Lets just wait and see and stop speculating until we know some more solid details.

Bare this in mind though.....it is largely thanks to Desmond Child that Alice enjoys much of his current 'stature' in the Rock music world. You might not like Trash.....but it certainly served a terrific purpose for both Alice and his fans.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun May 30, 2010 11:39 am

Luney Tune wrote:To Dada God, what do you mean by put the snobbery away ? Is it snobbery to not like Trash ?
And I don`t put down the songs om Trash as bad or anything, they were hits ok but to me they are not Alice C songs the way i like them.

And I have not judged the new album !!. I will listen to it with an open mind of course. I just don`t like anything that DC has been involved in.
It's always a good idea to get the name right Luney Tune, there are others with Dada God status!

So you don't like anything Desmond Child has been involved with but the songs on Trash aren't bad or anything but are not 'Alice' songs.

Alice has many facets to his song writing, but purists tend to dismiss anything that was not from the 1970s which is as I see it a touch of music snobbery.

My favourite period of Alice would be 1971 to 1975 and the 1978 From The Inside period, but Alice has done songs in other decades that are still classics such as Pain, Wind Up Toy and Take It Like A Woman to name but three.

Make no mistake some of the stuff he wrote with Child is classic Alice but from a different time.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Atlanta Santa
Trash
Trash

Post by Atlanta Santa » Sun May 30, 2010 11:48 am

Desmond Child also produced (and did songwriting for) Meat Loaf's "Bat out of hell 3" and I think he did a great job on it. As well as on the Scorpions-one he produced.

I think Ezrin AND Child is a killer combination and I'm sure this won't be turn into a (pop-rock) 80's-record like TRASH.

Get Wagner in the boat too, Alice!
I got a job in atlanta in a mall playing santa

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun May 30, 2010 4:32 pm

I am not worried about DC, per se, he has a lot of talent, and I am sure his contributions will weighed to see how they fit in to the general tenor of the album. As alluded to, Coop & Ezrin (w/ Wagner) are responsible for L&W, arguably one of Alice's worst albums. Truthfully, I would prefer they not revist WTMN. I think Steven was poorly inserted in to ACAS.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun May 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Petri wrote:One of Desmond's latest works is the Scorpions album Humanity - Hour I (2007), which he produced together with James Michael, and also took part in the song writing for the album. Together with other people, Desmond co-wrote all the songs on the album, except for one.
Interesting. Thanks Petri. :)