Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Re: Ernie Cefalu

Post by shock rock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 am

Hi Ernie

Just wanted to say,that logo you created best exemplifies Alice Cooper as far as i am concerned!! Loved it from the Constrictor album,and wherever it was used since.I have 7 Tee shirts with your logo on,i always wondered who's handywork that was.......Thx Dannorama for broaching that.
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:26 am

"Hello shock rock"
I want to first thank you for leaving a comment, as I really love to hear what everyone thinks about Alice, my work and what they would like to see graphically done for Alice.
An interesting sidebar about that logo is that each letter was done separately over and over again till I got one that I liked and pasted them, like a kidnappers ransom note into Alice's name. Thank you and I am so pleased that you like the logo. - Ernie

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Ernie,

as I said before your work (past and futute) is great but what strikes me is that you still get the time to answer everyone personally. That is awsome!!

Keep up the good work and surprise us with the new cover!! :rock:

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 am

Ernie, I heartily second Mestretch's sentiments. You grace us with your presence! We all appreciate you very much.

I am so happy to learn that this logo was your creation. When I read that you'd done artwork for "Constrictor," I knew I had to ask! I consider this logo to be a truly iconic piece of art. What is it's official title?

I have said it before, and I still mean it - Pacific Eye and Ear is the 20th Century Fox of album art. I am absolutely on the edge of my chair, waiting for your new artwork. I'll hold off asking for clues, and just lick my lips.

Thanks so much for being so kind with your indulgence in us sick little things. All I have to give back is my admiration!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:That is a logo that I first created for the Alice Cooper's "Constrictor" album and we still are using it today!
I've always loved that logo Ernie. Fantastic.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Robert Gerard Hunt

Post by Robert Gerard Hunt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:
An interesting sidebar about that logo is that each letter was done separately over and over again till I got one that I liked
The beautiful thing about the logo is that, like Alice's finished music, it seems like it is raw and spontaneous. Of course, the truth is that it is a calculated artistic effort born of hard work and constant refining. The "Old School" set gives a window into how Ezrin and the boys cut diamonds from rough stones, and thanks to your presence here, we are getting some insight into the enormous effort that goes into a great piece of graphic art. Thanks so much for communicating with us, Ernie. Learning about the artistic process is inspiring.

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Well put guys!...I would of never dreamt years ago,that i would be conversing with the person (Ernie & Co.) who is responsible for crafting some of my favourite albums of all time!
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:40 am

Good evening mestreech, and thank you for the kind words. To best answer your question, It's really easy to do... if you never sleep! Thanks again for your input. - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:53 am

Hello Dannorama

In marketing we would call it a valuable brand asset! I, like you feel it really captured Alice's essence. It encapsulates one important aspect of Alice's identity in that he is indeed the "Ultimate Victim!" For me, and millions of other fans there is a real emotional connection and desire to help the underdog to succeed and triumph! That's an extremely important piece of the entire puzzle, the lettering makes that leap especially in the eye"O's" in Cooper. That's a long winded way of saying thank you and "You Get It!" - Ernie

P.S. Your admiration is more precious, to me than gold and I am truly humbled by your words. Thank you for being... YOU! - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:08 am

"Calling All Alice Cooper Fans!

If you haven't yet read this Alice "Back Story" you might want to. I was contacted a couple of years ago by Andy Michael who is what I consider to be the Ultimate Alice Cooper Fan. Anyway he had Emailed me 9 questions about my experiences with Alice's album covers and asked if I could be so kind as to answer them. I did and here's what I had to say:

http://originalalbumcoverart.com/oaca/

Please scroll down to find the story and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did writing and living it. - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:12 am

"Hello RemarkabilityInsincere"

I LOVE YOU, AND YOUR FANTASTIC TOO.

Thank you - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 am

"Good evening Robert"

Thank you for sharing your observations with us sick little things and touching on a couple more of those "brand assets I had discussed earlier!" - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:20 am

Thank you "shock rock"

FYI, years ago, I never thought that I would be able to converse with people whom I didn't know, but knew me, through the body of my work. You and I are truly inspirational. Thank you - Ernie

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:21 am

Hi Ernie,
Thanks for the link. Highly recommended read to anyone here.

I wanted to follow up with you on something that Andy had mentioned in your Q&A session and would like to apologize ahead of time if Andy or anyone else has already followed up with you on this (it has been a couple of years of course since this Q&A session was done with you two.)

Andy had made a comment regarding the "School's Out" album cover and how he was amused that a similar look was used on a 10cc album cover that had come out a year earlier. Andy recognized you were unlikely unaware of that since 10cc were not popular until later on stateside, so the concept is no doubt of course merely a coincidence is all. You had mentioned that you tried to find the album cover and were unable to find it.

There is actually a good reason for not finding this as a 10cc release and that is because the album was actually by an earlier incarnation of 10cc known as "Hotlegs," and more specifically the album is called "Hotlegs Thinks School Stinks."

Here is a picture of the album cover if you're interested in seeing it.

http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/im ... Stinks.jpg

Obviously, the School's Out album cover is a much more satisfying album cover.

(BTW, I am formerly "WickedYoungMan," just went to my real name now.)

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 am

Hello Devon, you are the man, now I can see for myself. Also I am so glad that you liked the "Q&A article, and what a small world we live in, because around a year or so Andy's paths we're to yet again cross on the new "Box Set!" Thank you - Ernie

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 am

mestreech wrote:Hi Ernie,

as I said before your work (past and futute) is great but what strikes me is that you still get the time to answer everyone personally. That is awsome!!

Keep up the good work and surprise us with the new cover!! :rock:

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I have never commented on this "Thread" before, but I really enjoy reading through it!!

Thank you Ernie for taking the time to respond to everyones questions/queries, etc...!! you are a true gentleman!!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:Good evening mestreech, and thank you for the kind words. To best answer your question, It's really easy to do... if you never sleep! Thanks again for your input. - Ernie
Hi Ernie, I would like to how much longer will it be before you unveil the Artwork for Alice's W2MN? Especially since Classic Rock Magazine is putting out a Fanpack edition in September and also since the Artwork/Cover is done? Like you told me in an earlier post. Can't wait to see the new cover. I know it will be amazing and like you said will KICK ASS!!
Last edited by AliceFan on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:12 pm

If the U.S. release date is also true, I would imagine management/label would be releasing it *very* soon.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 am

Ernie, you are a legend! Thanks for the awesome alice covers in the past. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the next nightmare!)

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 am

ernie- would it be possible to someday mail you my greatest hits cover for you to sign? I understand if you don't do that sort of thing ( and certainly know it would take you a while seeing how busy you are),but that would sure be cool..