Alice: Biography overdue?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice: Biography overdue?

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote: Here's what Alice said about it...
"Alice Cooper had a few choice words to say recently about the book "No More Mr. Nice Guy", penned by Michael Bruce, the original guitar player for Cooper. "I think it's a wonderful piece of fiction," Cooper tells allstar correspondent Murray Engleheart. "Some of the memories about who wrote what songs are a little out of whack -- like 90%. I had a friend of mine read me excerpts from the book and he'd got through about half of it and I'd go, `What? Are you out of your mind?' I just laughed about it."
(Allstar Online, September 1997)"
all true. has anyone ever asked alice to sign michael's book? he won't do it.
WickedYoungMan wrote:I believe this is also what caused some friction between Alice and Michael for a little while, though was seemingly resolved.
it was?

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:21 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:They are Jeffrey Morgan and Brian Smith (some of you may be familiar with the former already).
pooh on both of them. andy michael and co. are still the #1 choices.

besides, i'm not so much interested in a stale biography as i am in a book of alice 'stories' from various fans, friends and co-artists.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Gunner wrote:A 'proper' Alice biog is conspicuous by its absence in the bookshops and has been for a LOOOOOONG time!
GOLF MONSTER is an autobiography with golf tips interspersed.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:11 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Gunner wrote:A 'proper' Alice biog is conspicuous by its absence in the bookshops and has been for a LOOOOOONG time!
GOLF MONSTER is an autobiography with golf tips interspersed.
autobiography is different than biography.

still waiting to hear what gunner considers 'proper' and why he thinks there are subjects alice and other intentionally hide and avoid.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 pm

mattcoddington wrote:autobiography is different than biography.
Yes, that's true. I was just pointing it out because it's not like we haven't gotten anything recently. GM is essential reading for any AC fan.

Has Shep ever written anything signficant about his career including Alice? Not that he'd write an Alice biography, but a Shep biography could certainly be interesting in it's own right.

His blog contribution was interesting and he certainly has a unique perspective.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm

mattcoddington wrote:
Gunner wrote:However, I do feel that he has 'shyed away' from one for personal reasons
why do you say that?

Because;

a) I believe that he did stuff that he is not proud of now.

b) He has as good as said that with comments about people coming to get him etc.
Gunner wrote:and even those that could write it without his assistance have respected that.
why do you say that?
Because of the absence of such writings?

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Gunner wrote:a) I believe that he did stuff that he is not proud of now.
such as?
Gunner wrote:b) He has as good as said that with comments about people coming to get him etc.
??????
Gunner wrote:Because of the absence of such writings?
you're looking into it too much. that's the theory of - you're guilty until proven innocent.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Andy who were the writers you had in mind for a new Alice biog?

They are Jeffrey Morgan and Brian Smith (some of you may be familiar with the former already).

Good call, Jeffrey Morgan who is also a musician wrote 'Alcohol and Razor Blades, Poison and Needles: The Glorious Wretched Excess of Alice Cooper, All-American' which appears in The Life and Crimes of.

Brian Smith did liner notes for Billion Dollar Babies deluxe
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 am

Regarding the news of the new book about Alice.

Some information about the author for anyone who has not looked him up:
http://www.cgpublishing.com/Author_Bios ... mpson.html

It looks like the question I raised two years ago about an overdue biography may be addressed. I am looking forward to reading this new book!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 pm

I am salivating at the thought of this book. I read the 'Rolling Stones' biography a few years ago (it was about the same time Monster Golf was released) that went into real depth about the recording of the albums, where each member was at musically, who contributed to what, how the songs were constructed etc etc as well as dealing with some of the more sensational stories, and I think this was one of the reasons I was so disappointed with 'Golf monster' the lack of detail! so hopefully this new book will fill in the gaps.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm

>and I think this was one of the reasons I was so disappointed with 'Golf monster' the lack of detail! so hopefully this new book will fill in the gaps.

I think this was discussed here quite recently and as I may have explained then, that was not the objective of that particular publication.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Andy we did discuss and it and you did say that wasnt the intention of Monster Golf, although you omitted to say 'In your opinion'. Whether that was the intention or not I was still disappointed in the book for it's lack of depth and hope that this book fills that role. As I said before my brother, who detests the music of Alice loved the book while two close friends who have been big fans for many years were also disapointed in it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 am

>Andy we did discuss and it and you did say that wasnt the intention of Monster Golf, although you omitted to say 'In your opinion'.

Why should I do that? It isn’t an “opinion”. It is a fact. I was involved in the preparation of that book. I don’t think you were but let us know if you were.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:44 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Andy we did discuss and it and you did say that wasnt the intention of Monster Golf, although you omitted to say 'In your opinion'.

Why should I do that? It isn’t an “opinion”. It is a fact. I was involved in the preparation of that book. I don’t think you were but let us know if you were.
Well if you were involved in the preparation of the book then will know that I wasn't so that makes your last statement very pompous, but hey..... But since you were and are therefor fully aware that the intention of the book was not to go into depth about the construction of the music then you will agree that there is room for just such a book.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Well if you were involved in the preparation of the book then will know that I wasn't so that makes your last statement very pompous, but

REALLY?! So I suppose YOU (who had nothing to do with it) telling ME (who did have something to do with it) that I was only stating an "opinion" is not "very pompous" then!

> construction of the music then you will agree that there is room for just such a book.

Why does it matter what I think if it should exist or not? If you want to put such a book together, go ahead and do it.