ACG v anybody else!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Re: ACG v anybody else!

Post by recoop » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Reading thro all posts on this thread..and then thinking about steven crayn point re ACG being accomplished musicians..IMO a good example of their live musicianship is My Stars on GTSYAC vid..so for me original band great in studio and live..have seen Alice multiple times with various players..never disappointed but I think the original AC musician were very under rated..creative in studio and live for me..definitely accomplished musicians
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:45 pm

I have read this thread and I find that great points have been presented by "both sides". Like many of you, I am a big fan of both the original band and Alice's current line-up and I agree with much of what you all have said. I will add that the original ACG will always have a special place to me and I would like to see the entire original ACG be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and certainly before Kiss.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:44 am

Also those jobs are tough shoes to fill, Alice's back catalogue not just the ACG stuff but some of the stuff on Nightmare and From The Inside are musically complex.

I was really pleased with the treatment of The Awakening and Nurse Rosetta on this last tour respect to the classic originals was paid.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:40 am

I have read this thread with great interest and as usual many points have been raised that stray into different areas.
In terms of the ACG group v others perhaps the following anecdote may add to the debate. I took my 17 year old daughter to see the Nottingham show and she knew very little about the history of Alice other than my enjoyment of him. I played her the "greatest hits" on my c.d. on the three hour journey to familiarise her with the songs so she would enjoy it more.She really loved her first Alice concert and when we were talking about it after she said quite spontaneously "he really feeds on the energy of the young band". With TOTAL respect to the original band I am not sure if a reunion would have any relevance and could come across maybe, as rather sad. Time is not always kind and the original ACG had such a strong visual image as well as Alice's that it could be a letdown.
In summary, I am arguing that you can't recreate the magic of the past as much as nostalgic feelings may impel us to want to. That is also why I feel that 70's concerts belonged to their era and were no better or worse than today. In truth, if we could go magically back in a time machine we may even be disappointed by the way it was back then, as modern highly technological sound systems and lighting especially, add so much to today's concerts- put another way I may remember my first car with great fondness but I wouldn't want to drive it today- mind you as it was a primrose yellow vauxhall chevette neither I suspect would anyone else!!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:02 am

The funny thing is that Coop's current band now brings the hard rocking energy of the early 70s better than those who ruled those years including the Stones and The Who. Today's kids can still get a taste of the glory days even if the air is smoke free, cell phones have replaced lighters, and there are far more suits than hippies, LOL.

He is keeping rock alive 365 more than he is keeping Halloween alive 365! Long live the Coop.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Robbie wrote:In truth, if we could go magically back in a time machine we may even be disappointed by the way it was back then, as modern highly technological sound systems and lighting especially, add so much to today's concerts-
The sound for today's concerts is much, much better than it was in the '70s. I can remember going to various shows and not understanding anything that was said between songs---it was so loud/distorted that I just couldn't hear it. Today's sound systems are much better for that....

Hunter

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:25 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:Does anyone know if one of the band members have been appointed the "musical director?"
Good question. I honestly don`t know for sure, but always kinda assumed it now went on seniority, Chuck having been there the longest and the most familar with the material.

However having said that, maybe the band works well together (well, we know that) and don't really need a specific musical director any more the way they used to have one. From what I've heard Alice is there most of the time, so it could be that the band simply learn the songs when needed by themselves, and then Alice himself makes any corrections when he hears something he doesn`t think is right.
I'll see if I can find out for you.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:05 am

Could well be Coop. He sure did shoot Jason some looks early in his tenure when he went astray.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Damon says:
"Basically we all work it out, particularly this group of players. Jimmy and Chuck have played with Alice for so long they have played almost every song in his live catalog. Keri and I have a great repoire and sit together and determine who is going to play which guitar part.

Honestly, there was such an emphasis on the "show" at rehearsals in the summer that Coop and Rob were very comfortable letting us work out the musical bits. Sure seems to have been the correct approach."

So no "musical director" anymore.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:26 pm

I read an Al Pitrelli interview in guitarist magazine saying he was asked to be musical director during his time with Alice
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:54 pm

steven_crayn wrote:I read an Al Pitrelli interview in guitarist magazine saying he was asked to be musical director during his time with Alice
that is correct.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:58 am

Last year when our hotel room was right behind the stage and the band was rehearsing "Feminine Side" (before it was actually put into the show)Eric seemed to be pointing out the direction for the band on that song. He would stop and start the song and comment to the other members, sometimes with a certain degree of animation and intensity.

I'm not implying that he was the "musical director" so to speak, but he appeared to want it to sound a certain way, and was working hard to get it there.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:29 am

mattcoddington wrote:
Si wrote:So no "musical director" anymore.
there really hasn't been for quite some time. no need, really. since alice now works with capable musicians who aren't drunk or high on stage, everyone seems to work well together.
Come on Matt, every musician that has worked with Alice has been 'capable'.

TuiiYa
Trash
Trash

Post by TuiiYa » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:34 am

Wau what a splendid thread! I feel myself so small. Really. With all my love to Alice, his music of all these decades and yourselves.
It may be your world...but this is my street.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Monster Dog. Interesting! It would be great to be able to listen to such a rehersal live...

I am not a technical sort, with this type of stuff, but I can see how percussion could take a lead in keeping things 'tight'
...And personally, I don't care.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Dave Conway wrote:Monster Dog. Interesting! It would be great to be able to listen to such a rehersal live...

I am not a technical sort, with this type of stuff, but I can see how percussion could take a lead in keeping things 'tight'
I can't speak for the rest of my crew, but for me it was fascinating. We could see almost all the preparations happening from our 5th floor window.

And yes, Eric taking the lead on this is not too surprising. I just wish that had been the night they put the song in the show, but it happened 2 or 3 nights later.

:/ Sorry all, for straying off topic.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:39 am

MonsterDog wrote:
Dave Conway wrote:Monster Dog. Interesting! It would be great to be able to listen to such a rehersal live...

I can't speak for the rest of my crew, but for me it was fascinating. We could see almost all the preparations happening from our 5th floor window.

And yes, Eric taking the lead on this is not too surprising. I just wish that had been the night they put the song in the show, but it happened 2 or 3 nights later.

:/ Sorry all, for straying off topic.
I remember watching/listening to them from behind the gates (front of the line!)at the same show. I thought they never actually performed this song on that tour. I was really hoping for it that night, though.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 am

I think one angle has been missed here.
I think it is possible to say that the collective musicianship of the current band is better than the original group but you cannot take away the 'shock' and tension from what was effectively the first time around the block for this kind of show presented by the people who actually wrote the stuff and were able to feel and live it.....admittedly through a drunken stupor some of the time. It was something new and it scared your parents.

People may say that todays shows are technically better and performed better than those original shows with the ACG but as an event I wish I had seen the original ACG in all its pomp.

The shows are still the dogs nether regions and an experience like no other and long may they continue.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 pm

All of this makes me wonder,if the original AC instrumentalists would have sounded way better live if todays technology had been available in say 71-73-as it is I really like the live sound I have heard from those days but would technological advances have made them appear even better? (a bit of time travel about this one I know)

any views from those more technologically aware than me(not difficult) would be welcomed
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:50 pm

recoop wrote:All of this makes me wonder,if the original AC instrumentalists would have sounded way better live if todays technology had been available in say 71-73-as it is I really like the live sound I have heard from those days but would technological advances have made them appear even better? (a bit of time travel about this one I know)
smoke and mirrors cannot make up for lack of talent.