Alice's Comment On New 210 album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Alice's Comment On New 210 album

Post by steven15322 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:50 pm

Below is a copy and paste of an interview I fouund where Alice makes a comment about the new album -

Please tell me about your new album that’s due to come out in 2010. What can we expect?

AC: I’m not gonna be very specific with you but I’m gonna say this – I’m creating this new character that Alice will be playing. Also a villain. At the same time it’s going to be a character that’s going to allow Alice to stretch out musically a little bit more. He’s a bit of a phantom but what he does allows the music to do a lot of things. It’ll be pretty interesting.

Click the link below for the entire interview -

http://thequietus.com/articles/03216-dr ... -interview
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice's Comment On New 210 album

Post by Lisacooper91 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:46 pm

awesome :)
nice interview, thanks for sharing!! :clap:
The sanest days are mad.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Sounds exciting. I'd kill for a double album. After the disappointment that was ACAS, my hopes are seriously in check. I pray if it is a concept album it isn't as one-dimensional as ACAS.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:22 am

I'm going to be bold with my opinion:

I have learned over the past decade that AC, when talking about upcoming albums, lays it on thick. My reaction to the hype usually goes something like this -

> Salivary glands start working,
> Fingers get twitchy,
> Eyebrows go up,
> And the wallet comes out.

Then, upon listening, it's something like -

> Brows get furrowed,
> Skip button gets pressed,
> New album gets shelved indefinitely.

I wish that Alice would just take a year off and really put some effort into his studio work. He seems to take pride in the fact that "We did it live - two takes, then on to the next." (Paraphrasing there... Relax.) It's like he's grown impatient with the studio process, which is disheartening.

I understand that creative flow changes over time. This is not to say that I wish he'd remake his classics. This is to say that the recent formula he's employed, such as on ACAS, and worse, DD, leaves me feeling starved. Just because the disc is full doesn't mean that it's always satisfying.

Layer that production, man. Let those ideas develop. Bob Ezrin said that he used to let the band play around with ideas for an hour, then tell them that "this part and that part will work. Everything else goes." That element seems to be lost.

Personally, I tire of the characters that Alice wants to give life to. If I want Stephen King, I'll pick up a book. I care about the musical landscape. Nuance, brother. Patience. I like the hard rock music, no doubt. But, if the guitars and drums are at a constant, almost frantic level of loud and harsh, then I will likely tune out. "Shrill" is a word I'd use. How about a little scenery? TLT was full of breathing room, and in my opinion, that was the last great AC album.

Aren't opinions great? Glad it's not me out there trying to figure out what the fans want next.

Suffice it to say, I'll buy the next album regardless. I just hope that I can feel good about it later.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Good post, I suspect the majority on here would be pleased if the new album was prepared in an unhurried fashion. Enjoyed the interview.
...And personally, I don't care.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Consider this: Alice seems to do albums in twos - similar production styles and overall sound, but the second album is usually much more of a mish-mash and is unfocused.

Flush the Fashion -> Zipper
Trash -> Hey Stoopid
Brutal Planet -> Dragontown
EOAC -> DD

After ACAS, however, something that is unfocused with more variety would be a blessing.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:46 pm

>Flush the Fashion -> Zipper

That was not the order of release.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:46 pm

It seems like a bit of a production line with the end result nearly always dissapointing ( for me anyway ).
I know his reputation has been built on the whole `shock rock ` thing , but to be fair , do we need another ` character ` for Alice to base the album upon.
I would settle for an album that has had a bit of time spent on it, and delivers the goods. Just good songs.
Is that too much too ask.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:21 pm

I have to say, that a Phantom / Ghost style character, sounds really interesting and quite different from the 'monster / villan' idea. Would give opportunity to explore new areas and different themes of 'horror'.
...And personally, I don't care.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:22 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Flush the Fashion -> Zipper

That was not the order of release.
Touche! I always do that. Perhaps its because I consider Zipper and Special Forces his worst albums, so I've never bothered to remember.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:05 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:Touche! I always do that. Perhaps its because I consider Zipper and Special Forces his worst albums, so I've never bothered to remember.
Those are two of my favorites....

Hunter

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:18 pm

SickThings wrote:
TeresofBlood wrote:Touche! I always do that. Perhaps its because I consider Zipper and Special Forces his worst albums, so I've never bothered to remember.
Those are two of my favorites....

Hunter
I have to be in the right mood for Zipper, but Special Forces I love! :)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:16 am

:alice: I do wish he would take more time to write the albums and include the touring band. :rock:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:19 am

I'm good with Alice doing whatever he wants on his albums. Majority of the time it rocks. Heck, even the lesser favorite albums have a gem or two worth revisiting. Albums I've considered lesser quality when they were released seem to "better with age" as I play them years (even decades) later. I'm not saying EVERYTHING he does is solid gold, but you can't go wrong with a guy who attempts to flesh out newer ideas that aren't all spooks and ghouls and shock.

If he didn't evolve the character every now and then we would be without some great albums and stage shows that have spawned because of those changes.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:30 pm

>I'm good with Alice doing whatever he wants on his albums.

Exactly. It's pretty irrelevant what his methods are. The reason someone hates an album might be the reason someone else likes it. You either like or you don't.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:44 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:The reason someone hates an album might be the reason someone else likes it. You either like or you don't.
Redundant. This thread alone exemplifies that theory.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 am

*Sigh...sometimes..I swear I'm the only one that really likes listening to Alice - FOR WHAT IT IS and nothing more.

Granted, I did take exception to the clap tracks and the way too loud back up vocals on the ACAS, but in general: good concept, great villain ....etc..etc...

I DO NOT think I could do it any better, I wouldn't want to even try. Whoever thinks that they can: good luck - be a cover band...

I prefer to listen to what I consider "offerings" with an open mind.

The open mind is key.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:56 am

I don't make a big fuss out of whatever concepts Alice wants to go with. I just might make a fuss if I think what I'm listening to sucks is all, and ultimately I think people are going to be listening for the music as well. Having a concept behind it just makes it more interesting and is the icing on the cake (given that it isn't flawed and pointless like the last album.)

Having said that, Alice tried it with a villain on the last album and considering who we are dealing with, the "villain" thing might sound cliche at first I think. I've always enjoyed Alice's works when dealing with broader, yet, still offbeat concepts (multiple personalities, etc.) I would just prefer to hear the music first before passing judgment.
Me = Winning

Rocketdog
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocketdog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:14 am

I agree with a lot of what folks are saying so far, but regardless, I too look forward to just having new Alice material. We all have our preferences of which Alice we like. Over the years, there's really only been a few times that I've been, personally, disappointed in something that Alice has done (Dada and Dragontown come to mind), but even then, I've always been able to find at least something (even if it's only a song or two) to like about those projects.

Bottom line - any Alice is better than no Alice, and most Alice is better than almost everything else out there.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:31 am

Bottom line - any Alice is better than no Alice, and most Alice is better than almost everything else out there.
And even better... Good Alice is still better than mediocre Alice!
Me = Winning