keepin' halloween alive

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: keepin' halloween alive

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:25 am

Perhaps people now see the benefits of iTunes....
Me = Winning

Rocketdog
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocketdog » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:02 am

True, but I-tunes doesn't put a physical piece of product in my hands, which is what I'd rather have. (Even though I did buy the song from I-tunes)

We are, after all, talking about a CD single here - so I don't get why it's referred to as an EP on the website. An EP would be anything shorter than an LP (album), but longer than a single (2 songs, which is what this is).

Even with the shirt, to ask almost $30 for it, and that's before the ridiculous shipping charges, is pretty steep. And those shipping charges are outrageously overpriced. They're equivalent to Ticketmaster service charge costs - just another way to make more money off of the customer, because they don't have much other choice in getting the item and other way.

Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining - just trying to put things in perspective.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:41 am

>As far as the UPS deal, I don't buy it. Amazon and many other retailers manage to ship CDs via USPS at reasonable rates every day of the week except Sunday.

As SickThings said, the current method is safer. I think the situation is still being looked at.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:53 am

>Even with the shirt, to ask almost $30 for it, and that's before the ridiculous shipping charges, is pretty steep.

Why? Isn't that pretty much what that piece of apparel costs on it's own?

> They're equivalent to Ticketmaster service charge costs - just another way to make more money off of the customer,

HOW?! Those are UPS charges, not www.alicecooper.com prices!

>- just trying to put things in perspective.

Doesn't look like it. You basically accused them of ripping off the audience - you need to be a bit careful when you make claims like that.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:17 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:As far as the UPS deal, I don't buy it. Amazon and many other retailers manage to ship CDs via USPS at reasonable rates every day of the week except Sunday.
I have no knowledge of why they use UPS. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me to learn that those rates are actual UPS rates. $8.71 for UPS Ground is pretty typical in my experience with UPS. Even for a small package like this would be.

I agree that it's outrageous. My point is simply that I doubt that alicecooper.com has any control over those shipping charges (especially since the store seems to be run by Rock and Roll T-Shirts dot Com, according to the Customer Service page; I assume they're the ones who've set up the UPS-only deal).

Hunter

Hunter

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:25 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Even with the shirt, to ask almost $30 for it, and that's before the ridiculous shipping charges, is pretty steep.

Why? Isn't that pretty much what that piece of apparel costs on it's own?
In this case, when he says "almost $30," I do believe he's referring ONLY to the CD. The combo of the shirt/CD was about $50/$55, I believe. And the CD alone online is $24.99, and was $25 at the Vegas shows. Just saying...it wasn't t-shirt AND CD for $30, 'cuz that'd be great! It was nearly $30 EACH, which is certainly not out of the norm for a t-shirt at a show merch booth. But, I'll be honest, I was a little surprised myself that the single was that high.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:01 pm

>In this case, when he says "almost $30," I do believe he's referring ONLY to the CD.

Yes. My apologies to Rocketdog - for some reason, I thought the package consisting of both was much less, for some reason.

As for the price of the single in a physical format, I don't think it's being manufactured in huge numbers to begin with. As WickedYoungMan implied in his post, physical formats are probably going to become less and less important.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:07 pm

>Even with the shirt, to ask almost $30 for it, and that's before the ridiculous shipping charges, is pretty steep

It's signed though, so it wouldn't be a 'regular' price to begin with.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I have less of a problem with the price of the CD... as it is signed as you point out. I was, after all, ready to pull the trigger on ordering it. I do wish they offered a non-signed version for something less than $25 though.

The shipping is way out-of-line, however. The $8.71 is for UPS Ground of all things... which is really not a great option. I've had things ship UPS Ground from the West Coast that took upwards of two weeks to arrive.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Rocketdog
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocketdog » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:51 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>In this case, when he says "almost $30," I do believe he's referring ONLY to the CD.

Yes. My apologies to Rocketdog - for some reason, I thought the package consisting of both was much less, for some reason.

As for the price of the single in a physical format, I don't think it's being manufactured in huge numbers to begin with. As WickedYoungMan implied in his post, physical formats are probably going to become less and less important.
Just a simple misunderstanding. My original post should have read "without" instead of "with", as I was speaking about just the CD.

I also in no way mean to imply that Alice Cooper or the people running his website/merch are ripping people off. But they are being extremely shrewd business people, and I don't think it's unfair to claim they are taking advantage of the situation they are in. Since they know most money being made by artists these days is through touring and merch, and they know they are the sole merchandiser, they also know that's where they can make a little extra, too. It's simple economics and capitalism. I've worked selling merch with artists before, so I know there's a markup in profit to be made. But as with a lot things, I think it's getting a bit out of hand these days.

Of course we, as the consumer, do have one choice we can make, too. We can choose not to pay these prices, or buy them at all. I've got no problem supporting my favorite artists, but there is a line I will not cross as to what I think is reasonable. $25 for a CD single is well over that line. $5 to $8 would be acceptable and fair. Maybe even $10, since there's an autograph included with the deal. Or, say the T-shirt was $25, and the CD was $10. If you could get both for $30, than that really would be a deal. But $50(+) for both? That's way too much. Even with an autograph, $25 is too much to ask for a CD single. And by single, I mean two songs - and we're not even talking about two different songs here, one is an instrumental version of the other. That in mind, I would likely pay $20 - $25, however, if it was a whole album with an autograph. Yet that's not the case.

And the shipping costs are a bit out of line. A CD and/or a T-shirt don't weigh that much. If I were to buy something similar via Amazon or another type online retailer, I doubt I'd pay more than $5 for standard shipping. There certainly seems to be a little bit of padding going on there. But again, just shrewd business.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:05 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:I have less of a problem with the price of the CD... as it is signed as you point out. I was, after all, ready to pull the trigger on ordering it. I do wish they offered a non-signed version for something less than $25 though.

The shipping is way out-of-line, however. The $8.71 is for UPS Ground of all things... which is really not a great option. I've had things ship UPS Ground from the West Coast that took upwards of two weeks to arrive.

Shipping and handling should be $3 US. Europe should not be more than $8. They need a whole re-think on these prices
as sales will surely suffer.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:30 pm

>And the shipping costs are a bit out of line. A CD and/or a T-shirt don't weigh that much.

Again, the situation is apparently being looked at. Besides, if they used the regular post office, someone somewhere may decide to add handling charges because of the extra work that's involved. I'm not saying it's an ideal situation, but if UPS provide a better service, then you have to pay their prices.

>If I were to buy something similar via Amazon or another type online retailer, I doubt I'd pay more than $5 for standard shipping.

It depends.

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:56 pm

On Amazon, if your order is over $30(U.S.) the shipping is free and is usually delivered in about a 8 days.

Also, keep in mind UPS is unionized... Which is why I never use UPS. Being unionized plays a huge part in the prices they charge.
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:45 pm

I've returned with my tail between my legs...

After some extended time spent with my children and this song I have actually grown to love it.

Through my kids eyes I can once again see what I experienced way back in '72 when I was their age now.

It's one of their favorite songs and because of this it has become one of mine... :alice:

runarh73
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by runarh73 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

i did buy the halloween single from the alice cooper store and the shipping was 40 dollars, it was 100 dollars less than 2 months ago so the shipping cost is down, it´s the same as the metallica store,i did order a dvd there last month so..
40 dollars is much but i was just happy to get it for 65 with shipping and not the 125 they wanted last year..
buy the way i live in iceland..