SHOCKER-Alice Not nominated again! but.............

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Re: SHOCKER-Alice Not nominated again! but.............

Post by glamprincess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Swinger wrote: Apparently Rolling Stone did a poll on who the readers think should be nominated to the hall of fame, Alice ends up in fifth place
Notice how RS Magazine discusses other artists who made the top 20 but do not mention Alice Cooper even though he came in at a high position at number five.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:06 am

RUSH, the Trekkies of rock (as WYM put it so well a while back or something along those lines), deserve to be in for sure.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
glamprincess wrote:
Personally, I would not have minded at all if Kiss got nominated/inducted into the Hall of Fame at some point. As long as their nomination/induction would have been AFTER Alice Cooper's nomination/induction. The trail-blazer should be getting in first! Period.
This is well said. I'm of the opinion that KISS deserves to be in there. But, as you said, since influence is a determining factor....THEIR influence should be in FIRST.
I would want Deep Purple to be in there way before KISS! :alice:
I've see a million faces and I've rocked 'em all ~ JBJ

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Maurice wrote:
Parish wrote:John Mellencamp... :rotfl: :guntohead:
Who happened to share the same manager (Stateside) as David Bowie, who is a friend of Jan Wenner, etc etc.

Isn't this a case of "Who knows who"?
Coincidentally, last night I happened to pick up an old copy of Classic Rock magazine, from last year. There was an article on John Mellencamp in it where he talks about going to Jan Wenners 60th birthday party a while back (10 years or so I think it said), where he met David Bowie.

He also mentioned the Bowie connection with his (then)manager Tony DeFries.

This speaks books to me that it is, (even if only in part, a big part), about 'friends' and the kind of 'friends' that play the game; unlike, say, The Sex Pistols, who's letter of reply to the invitation is absolutely priceless, and I beleive it can be seen somewhere on thier official site.

I wouldn't want to say it is a Cartel; but someone else might?
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:46 pm

"Weird Al" Yankovic?

That pretty much invalidates that "poll".

The only way he deserves to be in the HOF is after purchasing a ticket.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:07 pm

I think Weird Al can deserve a nomination eventually (he's really hard working, have outlived several of the artist/bands he's parodied and contrary to popular belif he writes own material as well) but I do think there are a lot more classic arists/bands that should get in before him.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 pm

I've enjoyed more than my fair share of "Weird Al" in my lifetime, but he's got no business in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame unless we'd like to turn the whole thing into an absolute and complete mockery (which given some of their choices, we're not all that far away from as it is).

What's next, the guy that wrote "The Purple People Eater"?

I can only guess that the people that voted him #1, were doing so as a joke.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

andyrushworth
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by andyrushworth » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm not too sure if its the same awards ceremony ,but I dont think Bowie even bothered turning up ? if I'm not mistaken Madonna accepted the award on his behalf !
So I'm guessing that the Coop couldn't care less ? :8):

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Jan Wenner(Democrat) + Alice Cooper(Republican)= NO Hall of fame for Alice.

It's that bleeding heart liberal Wenner who is the Problem...I know you all know that, I just wanted to say it out loud. lol

Besides it's better if The coop doesnt get it. He's cooler than the HOF anyways. :evil:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:15 pm

>Jan Wenner(Democrat) + Alice Cooper(Republican)= NO Hall of fame for Alice.

I assume that you are joking.

>Besides it's better if The coop doesnt get it. He's cooler than the HOF anyways.

That's true.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:43 pm

There may be some validity to the point that Alice's religious and/or political views are contrary to the majority of those in the nominating group. However, I think it goes back even further. Alice was viewed as something of a sellout, way back in the mid to late 70s by going on Hollywood Squares, hanging out with Groucho, Burns, & Benny, etc.. Ironically, this after many in rock community first thought he was too far out there (Townsend writing about bands killing chickens, etc.) All contributing to the schlock-rock label. I think they really don't like that they were always too slow on picking up on what Alice was doing.

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Jan Wenner(Democrat) + Alice Cooper(Republican)= NO Hall of fame for Alice.

I assume that you are joking.

>Besides it's better if The coop doesnt get it. He's cooler than the HOF anyways.

That's true.

Well...It is sort of tongue in cheek I guess. But it is a hunch I have....Saying that "you all already know it" may have been outta line and I shouldn't have gone that far I suppose. But I do believe "somewhat" that politics may have something to do with it amongst other things. Just My Opinion.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 am

>Alice was viewed as something of a sellout,

As "Rolling Stone" might now be, as well.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 am

>But I do believe "somewhat" that politics may have something to do with it amongst other things. Just My Opinion.

How do you explain Republicans (or conservatives if you prefer) like Johnny Ramone being in there, then?

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 pm

I doubt it has anything to do with his political and/or religious views - there are millions upon millions of republicans and Christians in the US!??

Isn't it something to do with the fact that Alice Cooper as a band haven't done 'enough' (by HOF small minded criteria) and Alice Cooper as a solo artist hasn't done 'enough' (by HOF small minded criteria)..AND together they don't equate to the same 'entity'???

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Gunner wrote:I doubt it has anything to do with his political and/or religious views - there are millions upon millions of republicans and Christians in the US!??

Isn't it something to do with the fact that Alice Cooper as a band haven't done 'enough' (by HOF small minded criteria) and Alice Cooper as a solo artist hasn't done 'enough' (by HOF small minded criteria)..AND together they don't equate to the same 'entity'???
It does not matter if there are millions of Republicans and Christians in the US, the US is not voting on who gets nominated and inducted into the Hall of Fame. It is people in the entertainment industry who are voting and it is well-known that the entertainment industry is very liberal and not Republican/Christian. I am not saying that Alice has been kept out of the Hall of Fame because he is a Republican and a Christian. I actually do not think that is the reason. But at the same time, it is easier to be part of the "in" crowd in the entertainment industry when one is a liberal.

I don't believe the Hall of Fame has ever said that Alice Cooper has not met enough of the criteria to get nominated. In fact, I don't think they would say that because they know that would not be true as Alice Cooper has met all of their so-called criteria. So that is not the reason either.

playingwithtrains
Trash
Trash

Post by playingwithtrains » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:06 pm

In the latest issue of Rolling Stone (got a free trial - not renewing) there is a one page article on how artists are selected for the HOF.

The author goes over the qualifications for nomination, and as previously mentioned it certainly looks like Alice is, if anything, overqualified for selection.

The article did make it seem like it's more of a "boys club clique" that makes up the nominating commitee, and that there are certain folks who fight stronger for some artists than others.

It also mentions that someone noted there are far too many artists deserving of recognition than can get in quickly if they are only going to allow a handful of artists in each year.

None of that excuses why Alice has not been selected for entry yet, IMO.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Gunner wrote:I doubt it has anything to do with his political and/or religious views - there are millions upon millions of republicans and Christians in the US!??

This makes no sense. Could you explain the " HOF criteria "
you are talking about?

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:48 pm

It does not matter if there are millions of Republicans and Christians in the US, the US is not voting on who gets nominated and inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I am aware of that and actually consider that to be an insulting and rather rude response in all honesty.

My point is; how many nominees or inductees are republican and/or Christian??? The law of average says there must be a good few! I think it is a ludicrous theory about Alice's religious and political views - they are EXTREMELY common. Who honestly believes that?

Just what is the criteria then? Because I'm quite confident that AC doesn't meet it as a solo act or a band.

Could you explain the " HOF criteria "
you are talking about?
Firslty, see above, I'm hoping someone can. I was merely saying what I suspect and was hoping for someone to clarify, if you read the words.
This makes no sense.
What makes no sense???

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:28 pm

>Just what is the criteria then? Because I'm quite confident that AC doesn't meet it as a solo act or a band.

What an idiotic statement. If you don't know what it is, how can you be "confident" about his or the band's credentials?! Why not look up the requirements yourself and save us from posts like that?!