SHOCKER-Alice Not nominated again! but.............

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Re: SHOCKER-Alice Not nominated again! but.............

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

If you notice, a few posts up, Pitkin gave the critera. That was copied and pasted right off the Hall of Fame website. There does not appear to be any concrete criteria other than having released your first album at least 25 years ago and having been an influence...which both the ACG and Alice solo seem to have more than fulfilled.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:58 pm

It is based solely on the whim of Jann Wenner and a few of his sycophants. It quite obviously has nothing to do with rock and roll any more based on recent selections. Jann's view of the world can be clearly seen in his magazine. Draw your own conclusions as to why Jann doesn't want Coop in.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:16 am

Gunner wrote:Exactly what is the criteria? Do we know?? Anyone?
Again, it turns out to be a brain teaser (or people just being difficult for some reason) here. I seem to recall that an artist has had to have achieve a certain amount of success (not sure of that criteria) over a period of time. I seem to recall that ACG and Alice solo doesn't meet the criteria. I don't know what is so hard to understand about my point. Whatever, Alice Cooper should be considered as both band and artist in my opinion and is, if anything 'over qualified', his influence has been immense!!

With respect to it having something to do with being republic or following Christ's teachings, I can't believe that has even been suggested.

Gunner I posted the criteria!! Are you reading this thread?

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 am

I apologise people, I seem to be mistaken, apparently the criteria has nothing to do with records sales, general popularity (although I'm almost sure it used to have. In that case, it is even more DISGRACEFUL that Alice isn't in it - what on earth does he have to do???? I'm starting to think that there must be some sort of conspiracy after all you know, it's the only explanation - I'm at a complete loss with it and I find it outrageous in all honesty!!

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Gunner wrote:I apologise people, I seem to be mistaken, apparently the criteria has nothing to do with records sales, general popularity (although I'm almost sure it used to have. In that case, it is even more DISGRACEFUL that Alice isn't in it - what on earth does he have to do???? I'm starting to think that there must be some sort of conspiracy after all you know, it's the only explanation - I'm at a complete loss with it and I find it outrageous in all honesty!!
Oh, so now you DO know what the criteria is at last, Gunner?! :bam:
I've see a million faces and I've rocked 'em all ~ JBJ

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Gunner I posted the criteria!! Are you reading this thread?
The criteria had been posted at least twice on this thread. Pitkin88 posted the criteria directly from the Hall of Fame website on the bottom of page 5: "The influence and significance of their contribution to rock and roll is the criteria". Prior to that, on the top of page 5, I had also posted the criteria: "For those of you who don't know, the criteria are supposed to be about influence and impact in the world of rock n' roll". The reason that Pitkin88 and I posted the criteria is because we were trying to be helpful.

And the criteria have always been pretty much the same. The criteria have never been about popularity, chart position or longevity. The Hall of Fame committee has always maintained that it is NOT about popularity and record sales at all. And if the criteria had been about longevity and chart position, most of the people inducted into the Hall of Fame would never have gotten in there! Inductees like The Talking Heads or Jackson Browne could certainly not have qualified based on longevity and chart positions. (Kevinuk81 and WickedYoungMan both provided good examples as well.)

As for why Alice Cooper has not been nominated based on the criteria, "influence and significance of contributions to rock and roll": YES...it is a MYSTERY. That's the point.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Let's cut the PC nonsense and tell it like it is. I don't think as an openly gay man that Jann approves of Coop's Christian views.

I don't care that Jann is gay and he shouldn't care that Coop is Christain, but obviously it is a big issue for him.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 am

Jumping Jack wrote:Let's cut the PC nonsense and tell it like it is. I don't think as an openly gay man that Jann approves of Coop's Christian views.

I don't care that Jann is gay and he shouldn't care that Coop is Christain, but obviously it is a big issue for him.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few gay Christians out there. What is your theory based on?. Has Alice ever spoken out against gays? Maybe you could send an Alice in a dress pic to Jann.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:33 am

The criteria had been posted at least twice on this thread. Pitkin88 posted the criteria directly from the Hall of Fame website on the bottom of page 5: "The influence and significance of their contribution to rock and roll is the criteria". Prior to that, on the top of page 5, I had also posted the criteria: "For those of you who don't know, the criteria are supposed to be about influence and impact in the world of rock n' roll". The reason that Pitkin88 and I posted the criteria is because we were trying to be helpful.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! You were most helpful, I can't 'google' "rock and roll hall of fame criteria"!!!

Actually, I think the criteria was different once, and probably still is!! I'm almost sure either Si or someone else here a good while ago stated that it could be for either solo Alice or 'group Alice' and that either were struggling to meet the criteria. It was once NOT just about influence, someone needs to check the archives here.

If you actually think about it, there HAS to be something else because there is nobody on planet earth that would deny Alice Cooper's massive influence and impact if only for visuals and lyrics!!!!! If the criteria is supposed to be just that, then there must be a rejection for Alice on other grounds not being made public...and it's NOT religion or politics - because his views on both those are extremely common!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 am

Oh, so now you DO know what the criteria is at last, Gunner?!
I concede that, that appears to be the 'given' criteria these days based on searching the internet - yes.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 am

Let's cut the PC nonsense and tell it like it is. I don't think as an openly gay man that Jann approves of Coop's Christian views.

Aaah, that seems more like it! That could be closer to the truth. OK, let's have a look at who's in the RHOF that is Christian....I'll be back!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 am

>I don't care that Jann is gay and he shouldn't care that Coop is Christain, but obviously it is a big issue for him.

Are you saying there are no Christians in the Hall Of Fame? If so, I think that's nonsense.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:06 am

What I am saying it is Jann's call, the committee votes as he wants, and it is based on his whims, preferences, and personal politics not the stated criteria.

I am also stating the evidence is Coop is not ranked highly on his list of whims, preferences, and personal politics. People keep trying to force objective criteria on decisions made by personal preferences and politics. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Read his magazine for a better understanding of Jann's world view. Defend Wenner if you wish and believe the decisions are based on objective criteria rather than personal biases, but I do not believe that for a minute.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Are you saying there are no Christians in the Hall Of Fame? If so, I think that's nonsense.
Just checking a list of inductees against list of celebrity Christian musicians, and there are no Christians so far!! Unless you want to count Elvis, but it would be 'interesting' to exclude Elvis from the RRHOF but hey, who can tell with them!????????
What I am saying it is Jann's call, the committee votes as he wants, and it is based on his whims, preferences, and personal politics not the stated criteria.

I am also stating the evidence is Coop is not ranked highly on his list of whims, preferences, and personal politics. People keep trying to force objective criteria on decisions made by personal preferences and politics. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Read his magazine for a better understanding of Jann's world view. Defend Wenner if you wish and believe the decisions are based on objective criteria rather than personal biases, but I do not believe that for a minute.
I'm with you on that actually! This is why I was asking about the criteria and NOT what you find out about the 'criteria' on the internet.

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm

[quote="Gunner Aaah, that seems more like it! That could be closer to the truth. OK, let's have a look at who's in the RHOF that is Christian....I'll be back![/quote]
Gunner, haven't you got anything else better to do today!?!?!!?! ::((:

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Gunner wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! You were most helpful, I can't 'google' "rock and roll hall of fame criteria"!!!

Well you obviously can't as you still seem confused by it.
You also claim it's not about his religious views and two minutes later you are off on a search for Christian rockers.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Well you obviously can't as you still seem confused by it.
No, I can't 'google', I only write software for a living.
Confused by what? A google search is not guaranteed to provide the truth!!!???
You also claim it's not about his religious views and two minutes later you are off on a search for Christian rockers.
There appears to be no Christians inducted. I accept that it could be about someone's personal politics now actually having been furnished with information. I have changed my mind on that now that I know more. It won't neccessarily be about Christianiyt but certain views that come with the doctrine and dogma of it.

I do hope somebody is able to understand this!??? :bam:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:16 pm

Top and Bottom of it is; the criteria they are telling us cannot be the 'real' criteria as Alice more than meets it, so something is 'a miss' isn't it?? There is either personal politics involved or a different criteria to just what is listed. I am now opting for the former having read Jumpin Jack informative posts.
Gunner, haven't you got anything else better to do today!?!?!!?!
Obviously not Maggie. I shall not bother much more matey. :x :/ ::((:

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Gunner
Obviously not Maggie. I shall not bother much more matey. :x :/ ::((:
Good idea as none of us knows what you're talking about!

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

I found this in a review of the LA show. Sums up my feelings pretty well.

Both Kiss and Alice Cooper have been overdue for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for over a decade, though the former was finally tossed a nomination this year. It remains to be seen whether, if finally inducted, Stanley and Simmons will bring their chicken-suit wearing doppelgangers to the proceedings and leave Ace out in the cold. But considering the Hall is voted on by most of the same self-proclaimed “authorities” on rock and roll that brought you Rolling Stone Magazine, they should both know that they’re in good company with their long-held rejection. These were not critics’ bands; they were peoples’ bands, ones that got famous in spite of rock critics, not because of them. Their very existence as successful touring acts in 2009 probably makes those people that wish to consider themselves the arbiters of Acceptable Rock kind of nervous. It’s a sign that they can’t be invalidated, that their place in the music’s history cannot be unwritten, no matter how many institutions are created to exclude them. The Hall of Fame is, after all, just another form of authority. Give it the finger.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!