SHOCKER-Alice Not nominated again! but.............

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Re: SHOCKER-Alice Not nominated again! but.............

Post by glamprincess » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:25 pm

BellaDonna wrote: Who's on the committee? How many make up the committee? Is this public knowledge? I really have no idea, please forgive my ignorance...I do agree with your post, however. It would seem that the man did indeed 'tinkle in somebodies cheerios' so to speak- even if only perhaps by his mere existance....

BD
It's a good question and the public usually doesn't realize that there are two separate committees. The first committee is the nominating committee and the second committee is the inducting committee.

The inducting committee is a large committee whereby many people in the music business are able to vote on the nominees and decide who gets inducted. The acts that are "big household names" usually have little trouble getting votes from this committee and often get in on their first nomination.

The inducting committee have limited power, however because they can only vote on the people who have been nominated by the nominating committee and they have no ability to induct deserving candidates who have been ignored by the nominating committee.

The nominating committee has the power to decide who the inducting committee can vote for. The nominating committee is a small elite group. While they don't like to reveal the names of the people on this committee, it is not really that big a secret. It is comprised of Jann Wenner who is the chair and rock journalists/critics who are well-known and often reviewed for Rolling Stone. There are also other notable types in the music industry including for example, the heads of some record labels.

RisingForce73
Trash
Trash

Post by RisingForce73 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:22 pm

I agree Alice's conservative and christian beliefs are looked down upon by the Rock and Roll hall of fame

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Gunner wrote: I was of the impression that there was actually a small tribute section for Alice in the museum, I seem to recall seing a photo showing some of his clothes and props displayed!???
Yes, in the museum portion of the building there have been Alice related items whenever I've visited in the past, along with items from many other artists who are not enshrined in the actual "Hall of Fame" itself.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:26 am

glamprincess wrote:
BellaDonna wrote: Who's on the committee? How many make up the committee? Is this public knowledge? I really have no idea, please forgive my ignorance...I do agree with your post, however. It would seem that the man did indeed 'tinkle in somebodies cheerios' so to speak- even if only perhaps by his mere existance....

BD

The nominating committee has the power to decide who the inducting committee can vote for. The nominating committee is a small elite group. While they don't like to reveal the names of the people on this committee, it is not really that big a secret. It is comprised of Jann Wenner who is the chair and rock journalists/critics who are well-known and often reviewed for Rolling Stone. There are also other notable types in the music industry including for example, the heads of some record labels.
Thank you for that response. It hardly seems fair, however. For example: if I was in a position of power and had to nominate my product or someone elses, I'd be hard pressed to choose the other guys...I'd lose prestige and power, would have to admit I wasn't that good. I could and would do it graciously, but how many others would? Human nature takes hold...

Ok, my decision is made: this is pointless, the RHOF isn't worthy of Alice Cooper. And it looks more and more ridiculous each year it ignores him. This won't get one more second of my time. Thanks for explaining! :)

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:39 am

Well I don't have to tell you guys how much this SUCKS!!! But did we really expect anything else?? Alice sdon't need no stinking hall of fame!

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:54 pm

The Arizona Republic has written an article about this entitled: "Cooper Ignored by Hall of Fame for Kiss" which can be seen here:

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/mus ... skiss.html

The article mentions how Alice Cooper was the forerunner. There's also pictures of both Alice and Gene.

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Some of those comments from that article are absolutely inane.

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:44 pm

glamprincess wrote: Someone doesn't seem to either like Alice's lifestyle: his political views, his conservative religious views, the golf, etc.
It's very strange I agree but other eligible bands who are liberals and not at all religious have also been snubbed. I beats me why KISS got in for sure!! ::((:
I've see a million faces and I've rocked 'em all ~ JBJ

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:40 pm

MadameBondage wrote: It's very strange I agree but other eligible bands who are liberals and not at all religious have also been snubbed. I beats me why KISS got in for sure!! ::((:
Well, KISS isn't it....yet. they're just nominated, for now.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:23 am

There aren't words to describe what I think about KISS being inducted before (or at all) Alice Cooper.....well, there are, but I can't write them here!!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:23 am

They are a bunch of beloved aunts.
Me = Winning

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:25 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:
MadameBondage wrote: It's very strange I agree but other eligible bands who are liberals and not at all religious have also been snubbed. I beats me why KISS got in for sure!! ::((:
Well, KISS isn't it....yet. they're just nominated, for now.
Let's hope they get passed over then! :devil:

Nev
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Nev » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:41 pm

I would be pretty upset if KISS went before the Coop. And I agree about the statement it should be the Music Hall of Sha... errrr Fame.
-=Remember the Coop=-

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:23 pm

MadameBondage wrote:
glamprincess wrote: Someone doesn't seem to either like Alice's lifestyle: his political views, his conservative religious views, the golf, etc.
It's very strange I agree but other eligible bands who are liberals and not at all religious have also been snubbed. I beats me why KISS got in for sure!! ::((:
The rest of my sentence was "or maybe they just don't like him for some personal reason". The point that I was trying to make is this: Being nominated/inducted into the Hall of Fame should be based on Alice Cooper's rock credentials and rock career ONLY. But that is obviously not the case because if it was, Alice Cooper would have been nominated/inducted FIFTEEN YEARS ago when he became eligible because he has met all their so-called criteria many many times over.

In fact, his rock n' roll accomplishments are so much better than so many other people being nominated that it's ridiculous. I mean, LLCool J??? Chic??? Enough said!!! So after a fifteen-year snub, it becomes increasingly obvious that other factors are at play here. Whether members of the nominating committee do not like Alice on a personal basis or disagree with his political views or whatever, the point is this: personal factors should have zero consideration. Being nominated should be based entirely on one's rock credentials. Period.

It's difficult to pin-point exactly why the committee has been snubbing Alice Cooper for fifteen years. You say that other bands with "liberal" views have been snubbed. But have these other bands been eligible for nomination for FIFTEEN years? The committee is now nominating bands from the mid-1980s. Alice Cooper is an act from the late 60s/ early 70s. His contemporaries like Elton John, Rod Stewart, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, etc. were inducted more than a decade ago. And they are supposed to nominate on a somewhat chronological basis, so Alice Cooper is one of the biggest snubs because he should have gotten in many years before a bunch of bands from the 1980s.

To be honest, the snub has been going on for so long, that I no longer took it that seriously as it seemed to have become a running joke. But when they nominated Kiss this year, that has made me and a lot of other Alice Cooper fans see red. And for very good reason. It is totally unfair to nominate the band who has been said to have "made their career on a trail blazed by Alice Cooper" but not to have nominated.... Alice Cooper!!!

Personally, I would not have minded at all if Kiss got nominated/inducted into the Hall of Fame at some point. As long as their nomination/induction would have been AFTER Alice Cooper's nomination/induction. The trail-blazer should be getting in first! Period.

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by MadameBondage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:22 pm

glamprincess wrote:
MadameBondage wrote:
The rest of my sentence was "or maybe they just don't like him for some personal reason". The point that I was trying to make is this: Being nominated/inducted into the Hall of Fame should be based on Alice Cooper's rock credentials and rock career ONLY. But that is obviously not the case because if it was, Alice Cooper would have been nominated/inducted FIFTEEN YEARS ago when he became eligible because he has met all their so-called criteria many many times over.

In fact, his rock n' roll accomplishments are so much better than so many other people being nominated that it's ridiculous. I mean, LLCool J??? Chic??? Enough said!!! So after a fifteen-year snub, it becomes increasingly obvious that other factors are at play here. Whether members of the nominating committee do not like Alice on a personal basis or disagree with his political views or whatever, the point is this: personal factors should have zero consideration. Being nominated should be based entirely on one's rock credentials. Period.

It's difficult to pin-point exactly why the committee has been snubbing Alice Cooper for fifteen years. You say that other bands with "liberal" views have been snubbed. But have these other bands been eligible for nomination for FIFTEEN years? The committee is now nominating bands from the mid-1980s. Alice Cooper is an act from the late 60s/ early 70s. His contemporaries like Elton John, Rod Stewart, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, etc. were inducted more than a decade ago. And they are supposed to nominate on a somewhat chronological basis, so Alice Cooper is one of the biggest snubs because he should have gotten in many years before a bunch of bands from the 1980s.

To be honest, the snub has been going on for so long, that I no longer took it that seriously as it seemed to have become a running joke. But when they nominated Kiss this year, that has made me and a lot of other Alice Cooper fans see red. And for very good reason. It is totally unfair to nominate the band who has been said to have "made their career on a trail blazed by Alice Cooper" but not to have nominated.... Alice Cooper!!!

Personally, I would not have minded at all if Kiss got nominated/inducted into the Hall of Fame at some point. As long as their nomination/induction would have been AFTER Alice Cooper's nomination/induction. The trail-blazer should be getting in first! Period.
I appreciate your sentiments and I totally agree with you but I wasn't actually arguing with you Glam. ;)

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 pm

MadameBondage wrote: I appreciate your sentiments and I totally agree with you but I wasn't actually arguing with you Glam. ;)
That's great and I didn't think that you were. :)

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm

glamprincess wrote:
This is well said. I'm of the opinion that KISS deserves to be in there. But, as you said, since influence is a determining factor....THEIR influence should be in FIRST.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... rock-hall/
Apparently Rolling Stone did a poll on who the readers think should be nominated to the hall of fame, Alice ends up in fifth place but what really makes this poll ejoyable is the artist that ends up as number one. :grin:
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Haha! The #1 artist posted on Twitter about that yesterday. His comment was "Really??? Well, thanks!" :evil:

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Yeah, that's how I found out about the poll. :)
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."