New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: SickThings, Devon, Si, Gorehound, Shoesalesman

lordcatfish
Trash
Trash
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by lordcatfish » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:08 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
GailsFriend wrote:Be Chrool To Your Skool
Alice never released Be Chrool To Your Scuel as it's not his tune - Twisted Sister released it on the Come Out And Play album.
Same with The Toy Master. It's an Avantasia song featuring Alice.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 am

Frankly, I love how people pretend how they don't understand the point I am making.

I know that "Be Crool to you Skool" and "The Toy Master" are not Alice songs, but....they are made better by his presence.

To further underline my point....remember that awful covers album featuring Bruce Dickinson, and other singers covering Alice tunes? What was the title?

Clearly, it was so forgettable because when other people try to cover Alice tunes, usually they suck horribly. Why? Because Alice rules.

It may be the reason why Alice sounds terrible when he covers other great artists.....like Hey Bulldog (blech) and Fire (retch).

If an artist is really amazing in their own element, somehow it doesn't translate when they cover other artists.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:59 am
Location: Still Outside Your Bedroom Window

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:17 am

GailsFriend wrote:Frankly, I love how people pretend how they don't understand the point I am making
No one is trying to, I think it's more that how you present your points that need clarification, especially when you seem to contribute the songs almost fully to Alice when in a couple of cases all he did was just do the singing!
To further underline my point....remember that awful covers album featuring Bruce Dickinson, and other singers covering Alice tunes? What was the title?
Subjective, of course.
Clearly, it was so forgettable because when other people try to cover Alice tunes, usually they suck horribly. Why? Because Alice rules.
That's a bit unfair I think. The one you mentioned happens to arguably be the most popular A.C. tribute album. Personally, I think I prefer the version of "Black Widow" with Dickinson on vocals to the original A.C. version. Shocker! But that's just me.
It may be the reason why Alice sounds terrible when he covers other great artists.....like Hey Bulldog (blech) and Fire (retch).
Don't forget that Alice has actually done several songs in his regular catalog that were "covers" that many people wouldn't even realize. Hello Hooray, Feed My Frankenstein, etc. I wouldn't say Alice sounds terrible in those!

I actually didn't think he sounded bad by doing the "Fire" cover either. All different opinions though.
If an artist is really amazing in their own element, somehow it doesn't translate when they cover other artists.
Not always the case.
Me = Winning

User avatar
Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid
Posts: 15171
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:12 pm

GailsFriend, you're getting feedback on your comments for a reason. For example, you mentioned in the first post that it is impossible to bash Alice then you say in the next post he sounds terrible doing covers.

Nothing personal. I'm just trying to clarify where you are coming from on the point(s) you're trying to make.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:21 pm

GailsFriend wrote: If an artist is really amazing in their own element, somehow it doesn't translate when they cover other artists.
1) The Beatles
2) The Rolling Stones
3) The Ramones

Three amazing bands that had no problems making amazing covers. I should add that Alice Cooper covering Rolf Harris's ( of all people ) " Sun Arise " is pretty amazing too.

User avatar
Dannorama
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:00 pm

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Dannorama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:25 pm

pitkin88 wrote: Alice Cooper covering Rolf Harris's ( of all people ) " Sun Arise " is pretty amazing too.
How about "Hello Hooray?" Ever heard the Judy Collins version from 1968?

Or, how about:
Hendrix's "Fire?"
Spirit's "I Got A Line On You?"
Stone's "Start Me Up?"
Love's "Seven & Seven Is?"
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

User avatar
Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:32 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:03 pm

Coop really did a nice job on Spirit's I Got A Line On You!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!


GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:56 pm

OK, OK, OK,

Alice has done some covers that were amazing, usually a better version than the original(Seven & Seven,Sun Arise, Got a Line On You, etc.)

My personal opinion is that Fire, and Hey Bulldog are better by the original artist.

Alice Cooper can't bashed when talking about his writing and arranging abilities...but it is different when talking about his versions of cover songs, and his own songs.
For example, "Because" is a great song in its original, but when Alice does it, it became something much better because of his creepiness.
"Fire" had a sleazy quality that Hendrix suggested, that Alice could not add to.

In short, when Alice does a cover...usually he adds a quality that the original lacked. Mostly, he is successful....
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

User avatar
Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid
Posts: 15171
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:57 am

GailsFriend wrote:For example, "Because" is a great song in its original, but when Alice does it, it became something much better because of his creepiness.
Yes, the creepy factor is there for sure.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Holly Grail » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Jimmy Degrasso says in his interview that they havent decided weather to record it now or after the end of the tour :/ I Hope alice takes the big decision to record it as soon as possible!
BTW alice enjoyed his falimy holidays in hawei this january(i have a great pic) :8):

User avatar
TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 525
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Brockton, MA

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Holly Grail wrote:Jimmy Degrasso says in his interview that they havent decided weather to record it now or after the end of the tour :/ I Hope alice takes the big decision to record it as soon as possible!
BTW alice enjoyed his falimy holidays in hawei this january(i have a great pic) :8):
Honestly, I'd rather see it after the tour. I don't want them to rush this. I want them to take their time and make each song complete and perfect. If Alice is rested and refreshed when he hits the studio, we'd have a much better chance at getting a worthwhile album.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Holly Grail » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:
Holly Grail wrote:Jimmy Degrasso says in his interview that they havent decided weather to record it now or after the end of the tour :/ I Hope alice takes the big decision to record it as soon as possible!
BTW alice enjoyed his falimy holidays in hawei this january(i have a great pic) :8):
Honestly, I'd rather see it after the tour. I don't want them to rush this. I want them to take their time and make each song complete and perfect. If Alice is rested and refreshed when he hits the studio, we'd have a much better chance at getting a worthwhile album.
Yes,I agree with the fact that perfect songs need some time to be completed.BUT i can't stand a delay like
"Along Came A Spider"'s delay(announced early 2007 , released summer 2008).We also have to remember tha Dirty Diamonds(A GREAT album) took alice 20 days to be written and recorded..

User avatar
kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?
Posts: 51114
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Kingshurst
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by kevinuk81 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm

You sure it only took 20 days, can you post a reference where that is written?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

User avatar
Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Dave Conway » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Yep, not a thing to be hurried ;)
...And personally, I don't care.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by Holly Grail » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:04 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:You sure it only took 20 days, can you post a reference where that is written?
He , personally has told it during an interview.When i find it i'll post the link .

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:59 am
Location: Still Outside Your Bedroom Window

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Holly Grail wrote:Yes,I agree with the fact that perfect songs need some time to be completed.BUT i can't stand a delay like "Along Came A Spider"'s delay(announced early 2007 , released summer 2008).
To be fair, the delay was due to something completely out of Alice's hand as well as time constraints.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:59 am
Location: Still Outside Your Bedroom Window

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:42 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:You sure it only took 20 days, can you post a reference where that is written?
While not a specific answer, tt was either "The Eyes" or "Diamonds" that they supposedly would have a song written and recorded in a day, and did this with nearly all the songs.
Me = Winning

User avatar
SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Lincoln, NE, USA
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by SKULLBOY » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:You sure it only took 20 days, can you post a reference where that is written?
While not a specific answer, tt was either "The Eyes" or "Diamonds" that they supposedly would have a song written and recorded in a day, and did this with nearly all the songs.
It was Dirty Diamonds.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

User avatar
While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: UK

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:21 pm

GailsFriend wrote: To further underline my point....remember that awful covers album featuring Bruce Dickinson, and other singers covering Alice tunes? What was the title?
Humanary Stew...i bought it the day of release and very much enjoyed it for what it was.

I also thought the songs that Dio, Bruce Dickinson and Steve Jones performed were really great fun.
GailsFriend wrote: If an artist is really amazing in their own element, somehow it doesn't translate when they cover other artists.
That's an incredibly broad thing to say....and simply not true. I could give you hundreds of examples of great covers...which in many cases are better than the originals.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Long Beach, California
Contact:

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 pm

I am saying, that is USUALLY the case, not always. "Seven and Seven Is" is much better by Alice, than Love.

But, Then She Kissed Me covered by Kiss, is rather weak compared to the original....of course, imho.

Bruce Dickinson's version of Black Widow, which lacked a certain "perfection", that the original had. Most notably, the intro...which, IMHO, was just silly...I haven't listened to it since the first spin. Now, Welcome to OUR Nightmare, is a really nice example of how careful tributes can be made, especially in the case of how exact the songs are from the PFY and EA albums.


Back to the thread topic....
Alice with a new album!!!Always a wonderful thing.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Post Reply