New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New Alice Cooper Album On The Way : Opinions And Wishes!

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:36 am

>This signature sound of early ACG tracks such as Hallowed Be My Name, Second Coming and Black JuJu has been sorely missing in alot of his latest albums.

That's not strictly accurate, though. You cite a very small number of songs. Besides, there's something similar going on in "Novocaine", if you listen carefully.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Yes, those were the only songs I could think of off the top of my head, but I think there are more. Does "Gail" have organs? and also "Steven" or is that some other instrument? But now I want to listen to "Novocaine" a little closer . Maybe that's one of the reasons I like that particular song....thanks for the head up on that one. Can anyone think of other,later material that also incorporates the organ sound (which is actually synthesized I suppose.
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 pm

steven15322 wrote:Yes nothing wrong with using a pipe organ as it would bring a certain sound that could work wonderfully. I would love for Alice to do a creepy dark type album with organ etc. You know kinda like the music that goes along with the old horror movies from the 30s and 40s ..of course with a modern type sound also guitar drums bass etc. Of course this rich production would take longer than the usual 2 month or less deal...I wouldn't mind Alice taking his time on the next one even if it took several months to a year..Just as long as it isn't rushed sounding and that it is well thought out.
I couldn't agree more. A truly creepy style (not neccesarily overt) would be great. Less camp.

I also really liked the guitars on ACAS especially when they had that really electrical fuzz that sounds kind of like a bug zapper. That's one of the things that always makes me come back to Alice, you just never know what small cool little sounds you will hear in his music.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:01 pm

>Yes, those were the only songs I could think of off the top of my head, but I think there are more.

I don't think there are that many, certainly not enough for it to be described as a "signature sound".

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Alicehunter2000 wrote:No Matt, I said it was a signature sound of early ACG songs and that I liked that sound. I'm not saying go backwards in his career, you said that.
how do you not consider that going backwards????? are you nuts? you want alice to start using a 'signature sound' from the 70's. BACKWARDS!!!!! how about alice developing a NEW 'signature sound'????? that would be even better.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Why would using an instrument that he used successfully in the past for some great songs be going backward?
um, because that was in the SEVENTIES!!!!
Alicehunter2000 wrote:That is like saying he shouldn't use a harmonica because he used that in the past as well.
wrong, because that is not a supposed 'signature sound.'
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Personally, I like the creepy and somewhat melancholy? sound of a pipe organ and I think that it can be successfully used in the future to great effect. To me pipe organs also invokes funeral imagery that adds a certain darkness to songs.
ok, fair enough. that is more valid that simply stating alice needs to bring back his old 'signature sound.'

and as already pointed out - it has been used so sparingly, it's not even considered a signature sound.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote="A_MichaelUK
I don't think there are that many, certainly not enough for it to be described as a "signature sound".[/quote]

I guess that is subjective now isn't it? You don't know how many? What you consider to be a signature sound is not my definition of a signature sound.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm

I am not nuts; but I am a highly educated and successful business man with wife, children, and a life outside of posting on an Alice Cooper website.....could it be it is you that is nuts with such petty aurguments against my posts.

Wasn't Alice trying to re-create his 70's sound on both Eyes and DD or was that some other artist? So I guess Alice is "Backwards" for those albums.

Define sparingly and at what point does sparingly become used enough to be considered a "Signature Sound"....oh I guess it is whatever you say it is....huh?

Since it was clearly pointed out to me that the harmonica does not qualify as your definition of "signature sound" I would like to pose a question to the Great Oz....Does Alice Cooper have a "Signature Sound"? And just how did you come the determination either way...........oh, I see, its subjective :smack: I see it your way now.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 pm

>I guess that is subjective now isn't it?

No, it isn't. It's based on fact - count up the number of songs that have the element you consider to be a "signature" and compare that number with the total number of songs.

>What you consider to be a signature sound is not my definition of a signature sound.

Accept the challenge above. If the element you describe is in the minority, it can't be a "signature".

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Alicehunter2000 wrote:I am not nuts; but I am a highly educated and successful business man with wife, children, and a life outside of posting on an Alice Cooper website.....could it be it is you that is nuts
oh i'm king nuts.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:with such petty aurguments against my posts.
it's not being petty. it's called being 'correct.'
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Wasn't Alice trying to re-create his 70's sound on both Eyes and DD or was that some other artist? So I guess Alice is "Backwards" for those albums.
completely wrong. he was going for a 'garage band' type of sound. not an 'alice cooper garage band sound from the 70's.' big difference.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Define sparingly and at what point does sparingly become used enough to be considered a "Signature Sound"....oh I guess it is whatever you say it is....huh?
um, how many songs are in the alice cooper catalog? and how many use this 'signature sound' you're referring to? thank you.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Since it was clearly pointed out to me that the harmonica does not qualify as your definition of "signature sound"
not just my definition.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:I would like to pose a question to the Great Oz....Does Alice Cooper have a "Signature Sound"?
who cares?
Alicehunter2000 wrote:And just how did you come the determination either way...........oh, I see, its subjective :smack: I see it your way now.
while a signature sound may be objective, the definition of a signature sound is not. you are confusing the two issues.

one might (and do) say that michael jackson's single glove is a signature. and it is because he wore a single glove throughout most of his career. in fact, when people see someone wearing a single glove, michael jackson comes to mind. when you hear pipe organs, do you think of alice cooper? no.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 pm

I could get behind that there are a few signature elements of the band, not sure the organs would be one of them though. Maybe such things as the guitar playing style or the vocals are certainly "Signature" elements.
Me = Winning

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:34 am

"Signature Elements" of Alice Cooper are always discussed in the prefaces to interviews or introductions......Alice is always associated with "theatric rock", which suggests his music tends to have a theatric flair to it.....concepts and stuff.

Since Alice started....there has always been a "bigger picture" than just guitars and drums and vocals or even creepy organs....there is "imagination, storyline, and musicianship". These concepts are a little harder to explain.

I believe that is why Alice really likes Lady Gaga....there is a little more than meets the eye.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:40 am

mattcoddington wrote:
Alicehunter2000 wrote:No Matt, I said it was a signature sound of early ACG songs and that I liked that sound. I'm not saying go backwards in his career, you said that.
how do you not consider that going backwards????? are you nuts? you want alice to start using a 'signature sound' from the 70's. BACKWARDS!!!!! how about alice developing a NEW 'signature sound'????? that would be even better.
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Why would using an instrument that he used successfully in the past for some great songs be going backward?
um, because that was in the SEVENTIES!!!!
Alicehunter2000 wrote:That is like saying he shouldn't use a harmonica because he used that in the past as well.
wrong, because that is not a supposed 'signature sound.'
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Personally, I like the creepy and somewhat melancholy? sound of a pipe organ and I think that it can be successfully used in the future to great effect. To me pipe organs also invokes funeral imagery that adds a certain darkness to songs.
ok, fair enough. that is more valid that simply stating alice needs to bring back his old 'signature sound.'

and as already pointed out - it has been used so sparingly, it's not even considered a signature sound.

What is wrong with going back to a style and sound that was sucessful? At least if he did wouldn't it stick out and not fit in to what is being presented to us now days from bands with their tired formula that is being fead to us ? Isn't that really what attracted some of to alice in the first place Alice being different? Nothing wrong with moving forward either into a new sound..everyone has their personal taste :) of what they would like Alice to do. I wouldn't mind a sound from the seventies but that is my idea of what I would like to hear. Besides Alice seventies style was different thatn most other bands from the period at least the subjest matter was lol :alice:
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Ok, to throw in my pennys worth. If there is a 'Classic Alice Sound' then it must be his voice, which is unique, distinctive and can produce both growls and mellow tones alike
...And personally, I don't care.

laceandwhisky
Trash
Trash

Post by laceandwhisky » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 am

I think one of his best albums and shows were Brutal Planet... I'd like to hear some thing like that again.. I know however alice will do some thing none of us will expect and it will definately be in my collection of Alice Cooper Albums..

what ever he does he rocks me...

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:07 am

I really agree with you that a really heavy album like Raise your fist and yell, Brutal Planet or Dragontown would be cool. But what would be even cooler in my opinion is a really creative and diverse album with lots of twists and turns like Goes to hell or DaDa.

Even though ACAS definately isn't Alice's best album it produced the greatest Alice Cooper music video ever Along came a spider mini movie. Don't get me wrong. I don't think ACAS was a bad album. I enjoyed it but it had some big flaws particularly in lyrics. I personally think that even though it wasn't Alice's most ambitious story ever it had potential to be much better lyrically.

I think every Alice Cooper album has had at least three good songs on it and almost every one of them has at least 50% good material. So Alice do what ever you want. You can go what ever direction feels natural for you but this time make more effort in writing lyrics.

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Greetings Net Boys and Net Girls...

There was talk flying around a hundred years ago, or so that Alice and Joe Perry were going to work on "Welcome to My Nightmare II."

That would cover the concept album, the classic rock and the "riff factor."

Now, add Chuck, Damon and Ryan to the writing and performing mix with Eric on the skins and you've got yourself a recipe for a fantastic rock and roll record that would move Alice from presenter to recipient at the next Grammys.

~Peace, RGLT :8):
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Hmm, at the M&G I attended on ToD tour, Alice was asked about a new album and he mentioned a WTMN redo............... :alice:
...And personally, I don't care.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 am

The son of Don Quijote wrote:I think every Alice Cooper album has had at least three good songs on it and almost every one of them has at least 50% good material. So Alice do what ever you want.
Agreed. There's something redeeming on every Alice release, whether it be a riff, lyric, song title... etc.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

TEENAGE NITEMARE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by TEENAGE NITEMARE » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am

i agree that a newer version of WTMN would be amazing, but it sets the bar incrediblly high.
Also i think alice will stay with the straight foward hard rock like on his newer albums, but if you could combine that with the craziness of and softer sound of WTMN it could be fantastic.
That aint no big disgrace, where's my makeup where's my face

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 am

Are those keyboard/organ carnival sounds on Years Ago/Stephen/The Awakening? or something else?