So, WHY ALICE?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

MadameBondage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: So, WHY ALICE?

Post by MadameBondage » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Gunner wrote:Somewhat unrelated, but with respect to Halloween, do you know what it really represents??
All souls night isn't it? The night when the unblessed dead are said to walk the earth. Or, have you a different representation?
I've see a million faces and I've rocked 'em all ~ JBJ

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Why Alice?
I have divided my (quite long) answer into three categories.

The man: While I've never met Alice personally the general opinion is, as you all know, that he is a very nice guy. He's intelligent, witty, a great story teller (even if he exaggerates a bit) and has got a great sense of humour. He seems to care a lot for his family and also for his fans. And I admire his strengt for kickin' the booze.

The show: Two of my biggest interests in life are music and theatre - Alice combines them. He's got a great stage presence, he's professional and focused. The show itself is creative, scary and fun and no matter if it's a fullblown production or a stripped down show you're hooked through the whole show (exept maybe during the drum solo).

The music: One thing I really love about Alice is the variety of the music - there are huges differences between albums but they still, to me at least, belong togheter. There's an album for every mood... or at least close to it. Then there's of course the great musicians that he's played with over the years and the great lyrics. To me Alice often have a very straightforward lyrics but without them being dumb because of it. His humour also often shows through his lyrics. But one of the biggest reason why I like Alice is this: No matter which album I put on there's something I can enjoy in every song.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:15 am

All souls night isn't it? The night when the unblessed dead are said to walk the earth. Or, have you a different representation?
Aye, that's it basically MB, but i believe it stems (believe it or not) from 'The Flood' myth, and the people that were destroyed in that Flood!?

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:45 pm

The first singer I heard really let go of his voice...schools out...elected...Im eighteen all represented for me a singer and group with no edges..no stopping point...the opposite IMO would be eigthies Phil Collins..perfectly produced, packaged, rounded, neat..Alice's voice seemed wild, the whole groups persona seemed wild in early 70s and I was into wild...whi Im still a fan I don't know because he no longer represents wild to me...but then I'm not looking for wild anymore I guess..off to lie down
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:07 am

Gunner wrote: Somewhat unrelated, but with respect to Halloween, do you know what it really represents??
Halloween (All Hallows Eve) is the Eve of All Saints Day (November 1). Costumes were worn to ward off or 'blend in with' the evil spirits as this is the night when the wall between 'the worlds' is the 'thinnest', as I understand it.

It is related to (or possibly a rip off) of the Pagan holiday of Samhain - a time of harvest or 'the new year'.

Hope that helps.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm

I was looking for something completely different but I got "lost" in the reviews section.

Reading this about the Montreux dvd, writen by Si, made me go "YES that's exactly it!"
The DVD also shows how much is lost for people outside the front few rows as his facial expressions and smalliest movements often add to the words he's singing in a way that is lost to 99% of the normal audience through distance. Again 'Dwight Fry; is a good example, as close up you can see the madness in his eyes, something impossible to most of the audience at a show.
That is exactly why I must be in those front rows. There simply is no other way of seing this for "real". And when these eyes look at you for even a second it's the most thrilling thing ever. I live for that! :love:

Well, I do once or twice a year :laugh: always one of the best moments of the year.

Thanks for putting better words to it than I can Si!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Having seen Ballad of Dwight Fry from the front row and from upper-bowl seats, the "madness" is indeed lost in the distance. While Alice does make up for it with his voice, seeing BODF a few feet away the first time really drove home that Alice doesn't just lip-service the drama. Not that I ever doubted that, it was just extremely evident seeing the insanity in his eyes and on his face up close.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:30 pm

I know exactly what you mean,Shoey. I have a few personal Trash tour pics that put a visual to your words.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm

And then again there is so much more to it. Like I said earlier in this thread. It would take hours to detail all the little tings I love in Alice's shows and his music.
It's the whole journey that the character goes through. Moments of insanity, of utter madness, sometimes on the dangerous side of it, sometimes on the vulnerable side, often even funny. And moments when he lives out his fantasy and is happy in his world.
Can't give any examples from the current tour since it would be spoilers. But I think the TOD tour is the best I've seen so far because everyting is fitting so well into the plot.

As far as the albums go. Some of them are linked in my imagination to little plots that I've added over the years, often they have nothing to do with the lyrics, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's neverending.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:48 pm

I don't know why.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!