DaDa

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

DaDa

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

What are peoples thoughts on this album?

Just recently started listening to this one again (playing it for the 6th time already this week :alice: )

Definatly MUCH better than I once thought it was, kind of an album where you pick up something different with each listen.

Scarlet And Sheba, Fresh Blood, Pass The Gun Around are my favs, awesome songs.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Re: DaDa

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Been a lot of discussion on here about this album lately. Seems to be universally well appreciated and much loved. I too like Pass The Gun Around. Amazing track.
...And personally, I don't care.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 pm

It is definitely my favorite of the early 80's albums, followed by Special Forces from that era.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 pm

love it. that simple.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 am

It was my favourite Alice Cooper album for a long time. Now I am not so sure but it is still definately in my top 4. All the songs are good and the album is very diverse and creative. The lyrics are among Alice's best in his post seventies work and maybe even in his whole career. Alice has been very uneven with his lyrics after the seventies. He has had some lyrically brilliant albums after seventies like The last temptation and this album and also lyrically very poor albums like Constrictor, Trash and ACAS.

I think the biggest flaw on DaDa is Alice's vocals which were not so good in the early eighties probably because Alice was not in that good a shape physically. Anyway I love this album too.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:42 am

I was fascinated by this album..I remember playing it non stop on vinyl..check out "the spider parlor" on you tube for a nice review by our own sickie,chris.I think he's Alongcameaspider27..

TonyfromNH
Killer
Killer

Post by TonyfromNH » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:17 pm

absolutely LOVE it!!!!

I would say this is in my top 5 Alice albums AND in my top, let's say 25, of all time.
I love a waitress who loves to...flirt!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:03 am

Dada is one fine piece of class. Definitely one of my faves.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:05 pm

I really love the album myself... I agree there is a lot of depth to it and it harkens back to the 75-77 sound a lot.

Since this album reunited Ezrin and Alice after a few years apart, I often think about what the results would be if Ezrin and Alice truly did another album together. The 75-77 albums along with DADA really had a particular "sound" to them.

Of course Dick Wagner would have to be involved also in order to really capture that "sound" but it would be fascinating to hear the results.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:07 pm

And also... Dick Wagner... one HELL of a guitar player.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Diane
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Diane » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm new to Dada. Like just got it within the past 2 weeks. I had a thread going asking for help on deciding between Dada and RYF and happily, I was led to Dada first. My first listen, I wasn't too fond of the first 2 songs, lyrics/voice-wise, but loved the rest of the cd. The music for the song Dada, though, I loved. With each listen (and that has been many! seems it's all I'm playing) it just seems to get better and better. Including the first 2 songs. It's fast becoming one of my favorites and I can honestly say that I love all of the songs on there now.

RI - I hadn't realized that this was a reunion of Ezrin and Alice. Thanks for that info. Another one with them together would be nice.
It's just the little things...

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Know exactly what you mean with the album getting better and better with each listen.

I have found myself playing this album more than any Coop album, its just a great album.

Enough's Enough and Dyslexia were the 2 songs that took me a few listens to get into, but I dont mind them at all now.

Out of the 4 early 80's albums this is easilly the best, the album flows really well and to me there is much more thought put into this album.

Pity there was no promotion or tour for this album.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:59 am

The reason this album is so dear to me is I didn't need multiple listens or to warm up to specific songs. It was an immediate love for the songs, concept, and album as a whole. It's a very haunting album, someone referred to it as "tortured" earlier and that is one of the best descriptions.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:21 am

I pretty much appreciated the album from first listen, more to the point, its an album where each time you listen you discover something different (rather than listening to it many times to gradualy say you like it)

I must say I remember Pass The Gun Around (with the song fading) had it up real loud and the gun shot scared the hell outta me :rotfl:

jch_n_va,usa
Trash
Trash

Post by jch_n_va,usa » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:I really love the album myself... I agree there is a lot of depth to it and it harkens back to the 75-77 sound a lot.

Since this album reunited Ezrin and Alice after a few years apart, I often think about what the results would be if Ezrin and Alice truly did another album together. The 75-77 albums along with DADA really had a particular "sound" to them.

Of course Dick Wagner would have to be involved also in order to really capture that "sound" but it would be fascinating to hear the results.
This is how i feel about the album also. I like it very much & it does seem to fit the sound & writing style of the 70's Alice, Ezrin, & Wagner works. If you listen to the 80's albums from Flush thru Trash, DaDa doesn't fit in with any of them.

kosciuskouk
Dada God
Dada God

Post by kosciuskouk » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:40 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Dada is one fine piece of class. Definitely one of my faves.

This^^^^^^^^^^
If it's too loud...your too old! :rock:

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:54 am

This was one of the last Alice albums i bought to finish off my collection in about 1997. I'm not sure if it was readily available on Cd in the UK at the time, i think i asked my parents to buy it for me on import as a Xmas present.

I'm ashamed to say, weeks before Xmas i snook into their room (where they hid the presents) and found the cd and craftily copied it to tape so i could listen to it on my walkman on the way to school. I can honestly say i loved this album instantly, the haunted and strained feel both musically and lyrically really struck a chord with me, and Ezrin really knows how to get that classic 'Alice' sound. Perhaps if they were ever to revisit this album it would help from remixing some of the more synth-driven parts to give it a more age-less sound as much of it sounds very much 'of the time' so to speak.

Pass The Gun Around and I Love America are personal favs of mine.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:52 pm

Played it again last night. Just love it. Deffo best of the early 80's bunch.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:25 pm

I bought this album the day it came out and fell in love with it straight away, It was the atmsophere that it created, the insidious evil and strangeness, i loved the opening track and the humour - do i have a son? a daughter? Alice? and my personal favourite, former lee warmer, this was Alice at his Norman Bates, psycho best before he became the mid eighties slasher character, as an aside, Bob Ezrin was executive producer on Dragontown, one of my least fav albums.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Hmm, there has been lots of discussion on here about hoping Alice will, one day, play a DaDa song live. Thinking about it, there are (I suspect) autobiographical elements in some sections of the album (i.e Pass The Gun Around?) and maybe it is best that these matters are left where they are, ie in history, rather than revisited on stage.

Just a thought.