Did you jump on to the "TRASH" train...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TonyfromNH
Killer
Killer

Did you jump on to the "TRASH" train...

Post by TonyfromNH » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:19 pm

A good majority of people I talk to have little (if any) knowledge of Alice, but when I do run into someone that does, it seems that "Poison" is most referred to.

Conceivably someone only 32/33 years old would have "hopped aboard" at this time, as they would have been an early teen and at the time radio play was almost unbearable. I have even talked to people my age (42) and they too "came" to Alice at that point in his career. Why? Not sure, maybe the prior stuff was not "pop" enough for them.

With radio play obsolete for the most part, I would like to know what turns some of the kids in their teens and twenties on to Alice? Parents, etc? In my daughter's case, I was the influence, but not the force.

Again, conceivably someone that is only let's say 26 wouldn't even remember the radio time that "Poison" got, much like I don't remember the radio time that "School's Out" got. With radio and video play pretty much gone for Alice I just am curious as to what first "sparked" the new generation of Sick Thing's.
I love a waitress who loves to...flirt!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Did you jump on to the "TRASH" train...

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Although my coming of Age Alice-wise coincided with the Trash era, I actually had been introduced to Alice by my friend between the RYFAY and Trash albums/tours.

My friend had turned me onto RYFAY and I remember really digging it... but my knowledge of Alice was still somewhat limited at that point.

I remember reading some articles about Trash leading up to release with anticipation. Also, I loved the "I Got A Line On You" song/video and that really upped the anticipation level too.

I still love Alice's version of that tune.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:51 pm

I never liked the Trash era. I thought it made Alice seem very pedestrian and trendy. I would cringe when "Poison" would come on the radio. They played that thing every damn hour it seemed and MTV with the video. Good God I was so disgusted with the hair metal Alice I couldn't even stand him anymore at that point. Luckily that genre died out and Alice went back to being himself although nothing close to the early Alice. It pains me deeply that that time period actually influenced people to become an Alice fan. Those were the embarrassing years to be a fan for me.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:22 pm

I got into Alice in 79, I had heard of him before then with songs like Eighteen, Schools Out etc but started buying his albums in 79 when I picked up From The Inside in a cut out bin for 2.50 :grin: and that started my Alice album buying.

By the time Trash came out I had had all the albums and I thought Trash was so so. I wasn't thrilled with it and didn't play it much..Though when it went big I was happy for Alice to be having the success he was having especially after the obscure 80s albums with no airplay (though I really like those albums alot)

Then Hey Stoopid came out and though it didn't sell as well as Trash I feel is is a much much better album.

I kinda wonder what would have happened if Trash hadn't come out? Maybe if it hadn't we wouldnt be setting here right now looking forward to these awesome tours year after year? Any opinions on this?
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Devils Food wrote:It pains me deeply that that time period actually influenced people to become an Alice fan.
Why would it pain you deeply? I'm sure there are many fans that came on board during that time that noticed Alice because of that song and then went on to explore the rest of his catalog and become big(ger) fans of that.

In fact, I've known many of those types of fans... people who liked the current stuff at the time but came to really discover and love the rest of his material.

I fall into that category myself...
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm

>I would cringe when "Poison" would come on the radio. They played that thing every damn hour

We know. You told us that yesterday, but thanks anyway.

>It pains me deeply that that time period actually influenced people to become an Alice fan.

There I was thinking I was the most pretentious person on this board.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:43 pm

> Maybe if it hadn't we wouldnt be setting here right now looking forward to these awesome tours year after year?

Exactly.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:48 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:> Maybe if it hadn't we wouldnt be setting here right now looking forward to these awesome tours year after year?

Exactly.
Totally agree. Trash isn't my favourite of Alice's albums but in terms of what it has meant for Alice and his fans in the big picture, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Desmond Child gets massive respect from me for playing his part in the mainstream re-introduction of Alice in that period.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 pm

I see nothing wrong with Alice putting out a more commercial album and getting a big radio hit. Commercial success is important in order to sustain one's rock music career in the long haul. It's because of the big hits that Alice Cooper is still able to tour every single year, so we should be glad that he had those big hits.

As for Alice being part of the "hair metal" scene with Trash, remember that Alice heavily influenced and played a pioneering role in both the metal and glam genres. Just because some of the "hair metal" stars were not as talented as Alice was not Alice's fault. He still had every right to partake in that genre since he was the forerunner. And the fact that he got a big commercial hit while doing it was a big bonus and much deserved. Alice never stopped being Alice though. He was always cool, no matter what.

TonyfromNH
Killer
Killer

Post by TonyfromNH » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Devils Food wrote:It pains me deeply that that time period actually influenced people to become an Alice fan.
Why would it pain you deeply? I'm sure there are many fans that came on board during that time that noticed Alice because of that song and then went on to explore the rest of his catalog and become big(ger) fans of that.

In fact, I've known many of those types of fans... people who liked the current stuff at the time but came to really discover and love the rest of his material.

Honestly Devil's Food, I too DID feel that way at one point, but then I looked at it like RemarkablyInsincere has stated: That song was probably a portal to his other material that the "Trash" people were not familiar, but upon listening to it, LOVED IT, and wish they had given it a chance earlier.

As A_MichaelUK had insinuated, I guess it would be pretentious to feel that way, but I too did. Now not at all. Turning my child onto Alice has given her a true passion for something. Regardless of how she got "here", she is at least "here.'
I love a waitress who loves to...flirt!

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 am

Alright folks I'll tell you what. I have a VHS copy of "Trashes The World" that I only watched one time years ago. I will pop that thing in later tonight and give it a watch with an open mind and see what it does for me. I'm willing to at least give it another shot. Hopefully it gets it done.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:08 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:I'm sure there are many fans that came on board during that time that noticed Alice because of that song and then went on to explore the rest of his catalog and become big(ger) fans of that.

I did the exact same thing when Constrictor came out; really got into the back catalog, and when Trash came out I was full-swing into Alice's character and music. There was a time indeed when Trash was my least favorite album, but now I've come to respect its place in Alice's history.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

18ForBritainOnly
Killer
Killer

Post by 18ForBritainOnly » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:10 am

glamprincess wrote:As for Alice being part of the "hair metal" scene with Trash, remember that Alice heavily influenced and played a pioneering role in both the metal and glam genres. Just because some of the "hair metal" stars were not as talented as Alice was not Alice's fault. He still had every right to partake in that genre since he was the forerunner.
My sentiments exactly glamprincess.

Yes, I'm 33 years old, so now everyone knows my story.

After being hooked on Alice during Trash I expected the rest of his material to sound the same. :laugh: I purchased RYFAY, and was disappointed that the music didn't sound the same. However, it is still great music that I couldn't resist to want to hear. So yeah, he got me during Trash, and he got me again at the "Alice" stage of each album.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:05 am

I saw Alice on the Muppet Show, I was 6 - maybe 7 years old. That was the first time, I know I've said that here before, so please forgive: I'm answering the question.

What made him 'stick'? Well... I guess it was the world I was in: mother into TV and not humans, a child into horror movies (what I was exposed to) and someone who was "Dracula" in "real life" (ok, muppets to a 6 yr old were "real life"!) ...

Anyway, I think it was easy to see at that time (6 or 7) that he was 'different'. I was too (not through any fault of my own!).. Birds of a Feather...

He 'stuck' and later I liked the different music genres he explored, because, simply: it was 'different'.

I loved it all: the music changed as I did growing up - he was never 'behind' - always 'on time', always 'current'. I try to keep up now for my son: Nickleback, BuckCherry etc...My son has ALWAYS listened to Alice: because simply - I do. I passed it down to him. Oddly enough: he likes Alice's "smooth voice" - he does not like Alice 'growling' through songs... That's his preference...Hmmmmph...

I Love Trash...it's a favorite, but then again: that time frame was one of my favorite 'times'...nostalgia....I guess that makes me the "old generation", huh?

Ok, now I'm teary!!! :smack:

Much Well,
BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 am

>I will pop that thing in later tonight and give it a watch with an open mind and see what it does for me.

I think you've misunderstood this. No - one is saying you have to like "Trash". It's just that you should be just a little bit less elitist (how ironic, coming from me) about it. It was a very important album for Alice, irrespective of whether you like it or not.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:03 am

>he was never 'behind' - always 'on time', always 'current'.

I think he was influenced by the 'hair - metal' bands, but it doesn't matter because (as I already said), he (and the original band) influenced them to begin with. Listen to "Billion Dollar Babies" - some of the production on it sounds like it might have been produced in the eighties, for example.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 am

I consider myself very lucky in so much as I was twelve in the summer of 1972 which was a great time to be on the cusp of being a teenager. Glam rock was probably at it's peak and in that summer we had at number one or in the top ten "Take Me back Home" and "Mama weer all Crazee now" (spelt something like that!!)by Slade, "You Wear it Well" by Rod Stewart when he had real credibility,"Metal Guru" and "Children of the Revolution" by T.Rex, "Starman" by David Bowie, "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople.....and of course striding like a colossus across the airwaves "School's Out"! Summers don't get much better (I know "Puppy Love" ruined it somewhat but let's not be greedy!).

After indulging in my little bit of wistful nostalgia to my point. I was just delighted when "Poison" charted because for me, who had loved the early 80's Alice it was just brilliant to see him back on the T.V. and radio again after such a long absence. So if it took a commercial sounding hit to get Alice back where he belongs I really didn't mind and if as a result he developed a whole new younger fan base from "Poison" I mind even less. I tend to agree with those who suggest that it may well be the reason why Alice can continue to tour so successfully.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Robbie. Snap! I couldn't have said it better myself. I too was 12 in 1972 and lived with all the music you mention!

I am glad Alice put out Trash, not only is it a great album, but it put him back where he belongs, at the centre of rock culture.

To go back to the original question as to what gets kids in to Alice, my view is that its because his music is so catchy and rebelious. Our kids could sing along to every song on Psycho Drama (exept for MOL!)
...And personally, I don't care.

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:20 pm

I tried to watch "Trashes The World" last night but I had to turn it off. I felt like I was watching a Skid Row concert. Way too many guys flipping their hair. I have now been reminded why I was embarrassed during the hair metal Alice days.

gallus
Trash
Trash

Post by gallus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Similar story/time to Remarkably. In my case, a rich friend had satellite TV and saw freedom n man behind the mask vids...small town and only place to buy music was woolworths (RIP), which had a vinyl copy of greatest hits. loved it, started trying to play bass after hearing the stuff lol..... then trash came along and loved it also but was about 14 so too young, skint and far away to see the tour.
also watched the trash tour recently, the posing during the solos is pretty cringe worthy but T-bone & Alice make up for it

cheers