Did you jump on to the "TRASH" train...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Did you jump on to the "TRASH" train...

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:12 pm

gallus wrote:also watched the trash tour recently, the posing during the solos is pretty cringe worthy but T-bone & Alice make up for it
I thought Pete Friesen was the highlight of the band members on the Trashes The World video. :rock:

Guitarist-wise, Pete to me is like Kane to Matt. :p
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

mac_534
Trash
Trash

Post by mac_534 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I was introduced to Alice just prior to the release of Trash, I first came across Billion Dollar Bbaies, Love it to death, Raise your fist... and Constrictor. Trash was the first time I was able to buy an Alice album on release and as a 16 year old I loved it. The Trash tour was the first time I was fortunate enough to see Alice when he came to Belfast and for me it was amazing, I was able to fight my way to the front row and I loved every second of it. These days I never listen to Trash and I do hate it when people chant for Poison to be played at the shows, however, the importance of where this album put Alice certainly can't be over-estimated and I certainly wonder that if we hadn't had Trash would we still be seeing Alice...?
Got a synthetic face, got some scars and a brace...

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Well I have to say...I think all Alice's albums have been in perfect timmimg. He did the scare thing in the begining...got our attention. He did the "hair metal" when it was popular. And has keep his name in the BIZ. Trash was nessary. Its what was going on at that time. It was just what he needed.
I think Alice is on top of everything. He is getting fantastic reviews with this tour. The world loves it....so far ! :rock:
I have been a fan since 1974 or 75. Long time !
I didnt jump on the TRASH train...always been here. :alice:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:00 am

I think he was influenced by the 'hair - metal' bands, but it doesn't matter because (as I already said), he (and the original band) influenced them to begin with. Listen to "Billion Dollar Babies" - some of the production on it sounds like it might have been produced in the eighties, for example. A_MichaelUK.

Yes, you are correct. He was ahead too. Just never behind.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:02 pm

BellaDonna wrote:I think he was influenced by the 'hair - metal' bands, but it doesn't matter because (as I already said), he (and the original band) influenced them to begin with. Listen to "Billion Dollar Babies" - some of the production on it sounds like it might have been produced in the eighties, for example. A_MichaelUK.

Yes, you are correct. He was ahead too. Just never behind.

BD
I agree he came before it and inspired it and all that garbage but he should have stayed away from that scene and went back to what got him there. Prove that you are an innovator instead of a follower. Thats all he did. Went to a style that was following a scene. Hell emo is big these days. I'm sure he has inspired a few of those bands. You want Alice to do an emo record. Hell no you don't. That would be as ridiculous as doing something like a record called "Trash".

Same thing to me.

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 pm

I was happy with Trash. All the hair metal bands were trying to be sexy...and thankfully...Alice was looking like a Billion Bucks and did a sexy album too. And it worked ! Also with "My Temptation" it worked ! :love: Some guys just look stupid trying to be cute. Not our Alice. :love:

Im happy Alice had touched on everything and proved he can do every type of music. :clap:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 pm

>but he should have stayed away from that scene and went back to what got him there.

What good would that have done him in commercial terms though?

>Hell emo is big these days. I'm sure he has inspired a few of those bands. You want Alice to do an emo record.

Go back and listen to "I'm Eighteen", "Nobody Likes Me" and "Alma Mater", because "emo" is pretty applicable to those songs. It goes to show how ridiculous some of these labels are.

>That would be as ridiculous as doing something like a record called "Trash".

You sound like you missed the irony in that title.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 am

If Alice was following a trend at the time of Trash there is nothing new or necessarily wrong in that.

He followed trends in the early eighties abandoning his "horror" image, reflecting the New Wave post punk sound and using more technology in music featuring synthesisers, sequencers and the CMI fairlight drum computer and as far as I am concerned (and have posted before) produced some of the best and most intriguing music of his career.

Without wishing to sound too Gok Wanesque being "bang on trend" isn't necessarily such a bad thing especially if as Andy comments it brings commercial success or produces great music.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:34 pm

[quote="A_MichaelUK"]

>Hell emo is big these days. I'm sure he has inspired a few of those bands. You want Alice to do an emo record.

Go back and listen to "I'm Eighteen", "Nobody Likes Me" and "Alma Mater", because "emo" is pretty applicable to those songs. It goes to show how ridiculous some of these labels are.

quote]

Very good point

Diane
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Diane » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 pm

I didn't exactly jump on the "Trash" train, but it was what got me back listening to Alice.

I fell in love with his music when WTMN came out. I was around 7. Well, see, I loved Vincent Price and when my brother brought the album home and I heard him on there, I just had to listen to the rest of it. And, of course, Alice hooked me right away. In the next few years, I made sure my brother or I got his other albums. :alice:

Then high school hit, the early 80s, and sadly, I let myself get into some music that I now hear and wonder 'what was I thinking?'. lol Senior year, I got back to rock music, but for whatever reason, didn't look to see if there was anything new by Alice. Then a few years later, I heard 'Poison'. And I was SO excited that he was still making music, I ran right out and bought it. Eventually got a couple I had missed, although I'm still missing some from the early 80s. Yes, "Trash" is not one of my favorite albums/cds, but there are some songs on it that I like. However, I do know that if he hadn't made "Trash", I probably would have missed out on finding him again for a few more years. :(
It's just the little things...

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Understand all you say Diane. I have just listened to the album, first spin for a year or so. I really enjoyed it. Lots of sing-a-long stuff and plenty of 'Alice Menace'along the way.
...And personally, I don't care.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Devils Food wrote:I tried to watch "Trashes The World" last night but I had to turn it off. I felt like I was watching a Skid Row concert. Way too many guys flipping their hair. I have now been reminded why I was embarrassed during the hair metal Alice days.

This made me laugh quite a bit. Desmond Child always had a sanitized sound that you either loved or hated. I prefer Trash to the Kane Robert's stuff I suppose. The New York Dolls had a brilliant song called Trash and where probably the biggest influence looks wise on the hair bands.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:43 am

>The New York Dolls had a brilliant song called Trash and where probably the biggest influence looks wise on the hair bands.

Who influenced The New York Dolls, though?

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:56 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>The New York Dolls had a brilliant song called Trash and where probably the biggest influence looks wise on the hair bands.

Bowie, Stones, Stooges, T-Rex

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Devils Food wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:>The New York Dolls had a brilliant song called Trash and where probably the biggest influence looks wise on the hair bands.

Bowie, Stones, Stooges, T-Rex
I think it was more like The Stones, Alice Cooper and the Stooges. I think Andy was trying to point out that Alice Cooper was one of the major influences on the New York Dolls.
Last edited by glamprincess on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 pm

I got into Alice around 1971-72 so "Trash" for me was a little lame after living through the brilliance of the original Alice Cooper Group.
I've noticed that there is a distinct ratio of hair height to quality of music on Alice's records. Early on when his hair was relatively flat his records were amazing.
Later on, his Aqua-Net enhanced hair appeared on the records that were not so good.
I'm just afraid that with his new record, "Beehive" this unsettling trend will continue...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:50 pm

>Early on when his hair was relatively flat his records were amazing.

Back then, almost everyone's "hair was relatively flat". Besides, Alice was also known for his 'ratty' hair look, as well.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Early on when his hair was relatively flat his records were amazing.

Back then, almost everyone's "hair was relatively flat". Besides, Alice was also known for his 'ratty' hair look, as well.
Not everyones...

http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/graphics/wishnik.jpg

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:00 am

When you 'help to set a trend' you can't 'back away' when it 'takes off'. You 'go with the flow'... You have to: responsibility. Never behind: always remain ahead..

Trash was great. Still is. Commercial or not. I don't care: I loved it for what it was and the enjoyment I STILL get from it today.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 am

I got into Alice early on too, so 'Trash' was a very welcome album, and (I think) a reprise for Alice and Alice fans alike.

'Poison' was a well deserved single success; whatever it may have looked like, it was all 'par for the course' at that time, with Alice just managing to take things a step or two further, either lyrically or theatrically.

[Interestingly, I work with a guy (11 years younger than me), who consistently raises his eyes to the top of his head whenever I 'talk Alice' - and when he does this, he hates me reminding him, that he is actually one of the many that went out and bought 'Poison'!!]

Whatever the trends, whatever they are labelled as, (they tend to change even more quickly these days - or is that just me getting older?), I have a good feeling about this Tour, the way it has launched, and the reactions so far - he is certainly back in the fore front theatrically, and the success of an Alice album on the level of Trash, would be no bad thing right now, in my view.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.