"Alice Cooper's Anonymous" early 80's fanzine

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

ULTRALATEX
Trash
Trash
Location: EAST KILBRIDE(SCOTLAND) if ever visiting,let me know and I'll buy you a beer

Re: "Alice Cooper's Anonymous" early 80's fanzine

Post by ULTRALATEX » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:42 am

ah memories........I remember the excitement of the brown envelope from the postman and reading all the Alice info and wondering how does this guy know all this stuff.Then the internet came along and through the years I was in contact with Andy and I've now been in his company on quite a few occasions and a nicer guy you could not meet.I admire his knowledge on Alice and his dedication to following Alice.So Andy,just a wee thank you for ACA all those years ago.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:12 am

[quote="A_MichaelUK>How many did you do in the end, I remember looking forward to the 'next' one but then didn't see anymore.

I think there were ten, but I'm not sure.

quote]

Sorry to correct you mate but there was 11 - even 12 if you include your special Constrictor issue .

Your Nightmare Returns tour diary was the standout ! But again they were all truly excellent !

Ross

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:05 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:On another note, don't you think in a way these are a part of AC history and should be preserved in some fashion?

No, I don't! That's very flattering, though? Are you after something?
I disagree Andy.
Reading this, and your comments about the fanzine in the past, I don`t think you still realise what a lifeline these things where to some of us. There really wasn`t much AC to read at that point. I think, without wanting to sound over the top, that they had a part in changing my life, and certainly surely changed yours through the contacts you made.

I actually think, and as you know always have thought, that it should be available.
Maybe once the text is up (which has been all ready to go up for over 10 years now), I can start trying to add the photos back into it as obviously they would be much better quality now that was possible back then.
for.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:34 am

I have a copy of every single one of those fanzines and bought them as soon as they were available. Also, at the time, Andy became a kind of 'pen pal' to a small extent as often he wrote an accompanying letter (to which I would reply) with the fanzine for me. He is modest as well, there are pictures of him hanging out with Alice.

Also, I agree with Si, these fanzines were an amazing source of Alice info at the time. In the UK from 1975 -1981 we got virtually nothing on Alice!!!

I reckon my fanzines are worth a bit!???!? :/

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

>would be something to see it from an early 80s >point of view, having no idea of what still was >in store for Alice and the fans.

That's actually an interesting point in that, when the first issue came out, Alice was taking a break from music, but as has been already said, there was so little coverage of him at that time, that the public didn't know he was even taking that break to begin with, so I don't think it even occured to me that all this time later, he would still be as active and productive as he is.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:25 am

> wondering how does this guy know all this stuff.

I 'borrowed' it from other publications!

> and a nicer guy you could not meet.

Yes you could.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 am

>I don`t think you still realise what a lifeline these things where to some of us.

That's awfully kind of you to say so, but actually, I am aware of that (but hopefully not in an arrogant way). I put the fanzine together pretty much for the reason everyone has mentioned. There was almost literally no coverage (again, for the reasons mentioned). At that time, we had gone through the punk thing, then there were the artists that came out of the period immediately after punk, then there were the New Romantics and also the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, then you had the revival of hard rock in America with the 'hair - metal' bands and I began to notice the influence of Alice Cooper in a lot of the above but for the most part, neither (he nor the band) never got any credit. So that was what really made me want to put the fanzine together. I also used to write to the music press and complain when they'd write an article but not give Alice any credit. I think I did know there were others like me out there who wanted to see Alice get the credit he deserved (kind of like the people who go on about the Rock And Roll HallOf Fame, for example).

> I think, without wanting to sound over the top, that they had a part in changing my life,

I didn't know that. That's humbling.

>and certainly surely changed yours through the contacts you made.

Without question. One thing led to another as they say.

>I actually think, and as you know always have thought, that it should be available.

I think the main problem I have with the fanzine is that it is so primitive in it's appearance, but again, I could only use the resources and tools available (which was part of the punk ethos of 'doing it yourself'). Also, the writing style is something I would change if I could and let's not go into the factual errors.

> I can start trying to add the photos back into it as obviously they would be much better quality now

Are you sure about that? The pictures I used were photo - copies which were stuck onto the page and then photo - copied again during the reproduction, so the quality wasn't great to start with. If I had the original pages, the quality would be just a bit better, but I'm not sure that I do. I don't want to discourage anyone and I have been thinking about it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:46 am

>He is modest as well,

I’m blushing.

>there are pictures of him hanging out with Alice.

I have to say, there is one image which didn’t turn out well, but it’s still a favourite (taken in Birmingham after one of the shows there), of me and Alice where he is in full make – up and still in his costume.

>I reckon my fanzines are worth a bit!???!?

Their monetary value is precisely nothing, I’d say!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

Up till now I've been hoping one day for a DVD of Alice's in concert gig in US71/72 to be produced..and also a DVD of David Live(lp) gig that Bowie won't release...but now I have a third thing to hope for..that Andy gives permission for these to be presented on this site..personally I don't care even if there are factual errors,lower quality photos...its one of those times when we have to hope the author agrees to reissue of past work-hope that last bit works and Andy agrees :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:15 am

>hope that last bit works and Andy agrees

The other thing to be aware of or remember (I don't remember if it has been raised) is that a lot of the information and pictures in the fanzines have appeared online over the years, in different forms. So, if you've read a lot about Alice since, say, 1995, then you won't find much in the fanzines that's new.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:24 am

It's often the case that people like Andy tend to be modest. When I started this thread I expressed my admiration and I would like to express the same about the people who run this site.

I have been visiting for a long time now but only started contributing to the forum last week (due to my fear of technology!!). I don't know who is / are responsible for the site but it is magnificent- great historical content, up to the minute news, tremendous attention to detail and an opportunity to engage in debates and exchange opinions about Alice Cooper with other fans.In the early 80's this was something we could have only dreamed of. It really is superb and in my opinion "head and shoulders" above the official sites.

So let me express not only my admiration but also my gratitude to those who clearly put such a lot of effort into this site so that fans like me can enjoy it!!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:14 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>
> I can start trying to add the photos back into it as obviously they would be much better quality now

Are you sure about that? The pictures I used were photo - copies which were stuck onto the page and then photo - copied again during the reproduction, so the quality wasn't great to start with. If I had the original pages, the quality would be just a bit better, but I'm not sure that I do. I don't want to discourage anyone and I have been thinking about it.
To avoid confusion, I was meaning the original pics, NOT scaning them from the fanzine (which would be pointless), but the original sources.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Robbie wrote:I don't know who is / are responsible for the site but it is magnificent- great historical content, up to the minute news, tremendous attention to detail and an opportunity to engage in debates and exchange opinions about Alice Cooper with other fans.In the early 80's this was something we could have only dreamed of. It really is superb and in my opinion "head and shoulders" above the official sites.

So let me express not only my admiration but also my gratitude to those who clearly put such a lot of effort into this site so that fans like me can enjoy it!!
Thanks!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 pm

If we put it online, I would suggest Andy write a new short introduction, so that he can point out that there are some errors etc. and maybe a little history. Then it can be an "archive" piece rather then anyone using it for factual info, although of course it's more correct then incorrect.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:21 pm

>I would like to express the same about the people who run this site.

No. Let's talk about me only.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm

> I was meaning the original pics, NOT scaning them from the fanzine (which would be pointless), but the original sources.

They would be extremely difficult to find as they are all from various publications and are all packed away.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

MAybe, but I'm pretty sure we can find many of them around. I have thousands of pics sitting here on the computer already. Bet a fair few in the fanzine are already around.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:31 pm

>MAybe, but I'm pretty sure we can find many of them around.

If you want to make the effort to effort to find them, I'm most certainly not going to stand in your way.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:28 pm

nurserozetta wrote:
Sorry to correct you mate but there was 11 - even 12 if you include your special Constrictor issue .

Your Nightmare Returns tour diary was the standout ! But again they were all truly excellent !

Ross
I had not read the Constrictor issue and the Nightmare Returns tour diary because those had not been put online when I was reading the fanzine online. When I was reading them, all that was available were the years 1971-1976. I didn't even know there was more stuff.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:29 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I would like to express the same about the people who run this site.

No. Let's talk about me only.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: