Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Jacknife_Johnny
Killer
Killer

Re: New album on the way!

Post by Jacknife_Johnny » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:48 pm

I feel sorry for the Dragonlady, just sharing her excitement and boom! lol

Any album from Alice is good news as far as I'm concerned!
:alice:
I would never join a club that would have me as a member!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Jacknife_Johnny wrote: Any album from Alice is good news as far as I'm concerned!
:alice:
exactly, and it doesn't matter who produces it. one more.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:No, I'm quite sincere when I say that there is no way it could match 71-74.

Not that I wouldn't be interested in it, should it ever happen.
it's happened twice (gbmw and xmas pud) and neither were outstanding performances. after seeing those two events, there is NO way a reunion would help boost alice's career. sure, they could record an album and it would probably sell a few copies. sure, they could tour together and sell a few tickets. but the sales and reaction would pale in comparison with what alice is doing today. in fact, it would take him back a few steps. why do you think it hasn't been done already? it's about what alice and his manager want. they do what's best for ALICE COOPER. they do this for a living, you know! they want to please the masses, not the minority. and sorry to say - we are not the masses. we've already gone over this in other topics. so there's nothing wrong with dreaming of a reunion between alice and his old band. dream away. but don't fool yourself into thinking it will help alice cooper's career.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:10 pm

steven15322 wrote:As for a producer yes I think one can make a impact if the material that is presented is good and you have a producer with a vision that can or will push the artist to better heights then yes it can make an impact.
exactly!!! which goes back to my statement that an alice cooper album will not sell solely based on the producer! most important is alice's lyrics and music. then it's up to alice, the producer and whoever - to make that a successful realty.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:52 pm

Another new album sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing the good news Dragonlady :clap:
Flesh fanatic psychopath

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Can't wait! Thanks Dragonlady. :rock:
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:59 pm

I don't understand how Alice can be considered to be creatively burnt out - especially in the light of his recenty statement of already having a few songs written for a new album so soon after another album, as well as ready to begin a new world tour in just under a week. How is that creatively burnt out?

However much I dislike Along Came a Spider, I don't see how it shows any lack of creativity.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:38 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:I don't understand how Alice can be considered to be creatively burnt out - especially in the light of his recenty statement of already having a few songs written for a new album so soon after another album, as well as ready to begin a new world tour in just under a week. How is that creatively burnt out?

However much I dislike Along Came a Spider, I don't see how it shows any lack of creativity.

I think Alice has been re-hashing some stuff over the years
along with the stage show. I wouldn't say he's burnt out but it's getting a bit old. ACAS lacked imagination. Serial killer ( yawn ). Even the title had been used for a movie. As for a new album on the way I think we won't see one until the middle of next year.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Wasn't it The Last Temptation that had a working title of Along Came A Spider? Correct me if I'm off-base here. The movie came out in 2001, I believe, seven years after TLT.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Yes, ACAS was used for TLT too. And Alice said, can't remember where, that the idea for the album came 15 years ago. Maybe it was the same history and at some point he decided to change everything? Well, that only he can answer.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Wasn't it The Last Temptation that had a working title of Along Came A Spider? Correct me if I'm off-base here. The movie came out in 2001, I believe, seven years after TLT.
Based on a book that came out in 1993.

Regardless, that phrase has been in existence since long before that...

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Miss_Muffet

The rhyme first appeared in print in 1805, in a book titled Songs for the Nursery. Like many such rhymes, its origins are unclear. Some claim it was written by Dr. Thomas Muffet (d.1604), a sixteenth-century English entomologist, for his stepdaughters; others claim it refers to Mary, Queen of Scots (1543-87), who was said to have been frightened by religious reformer John Knox (1510-72).[2] The former explanation is speculative and the latter is doubted by most literary scholars, who note that stories linking folk tales or songs to political events are often urban legends.[1]
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Maybe the name did apear somewhere before Alice used it, but does that mean a lack of criativity? Stephen King's Dark Tower was based on a poem, but it a really great serie of books. Many music and book or any kind of art "copy" older ones, a name is meaningless compared to the mensage that is told and the history behind the mensage, taking a name that was used by some other person doesn't make the album more or less imaginative.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:40 pm

yeah, elements of his stage show where getting old - Mr Nice Guy at #2 in the setlist for the past 6/7 years, the 3 way drum solo been on and off for that long too ... re-hashing of backdrops and stageprops.

However I don't think it's because he was running out of ideas, but because he found a sweet spot where certain things work. Mr Nice Guy is excellent at #2, especially after the thrill of his stage entrance which works with a lesser known song. Think it's been more of a 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' mentality over these past years that accounts for this same-ness, rather than running dry of ideas.

Which I think is proved by ACAS as it's unlike many of Alice's past albums for many years, quite innovative when considering the storyline and look - especially in what's been released around now too by other bands... whereas The Eyes seemed to be different by riding the wave of old garage rock that many other bands where doing around that time (White Stripes, The Darkness).

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:yeah, elements of his stage show where getting old - Mr Nice Guy at #2 in the setlist for the past 6/7 years, the 3 way drum solo been on and off for that long too ... re-hashing of backdrops and stageprops.

However I don't think it's because he was running out of ideas, but because he found a sweet spot where certain things work. Mr Nice Guy is excellent at #2, especially after the thrill of his stage entrance which works with a lesser known song. Think it's been more of a 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' mentality over these past years that accounts for this same-ness, rather than running dry of ideas.

Which I think is proved by ACAS as it's unlike many of Alice's past albums for many years, quite innovative when considering the storyline and look - especially in what's been released around now too by other bands... whereas The Eyes seemed to be different by riding the wave of old garage rock that many other bands where doing around that time (White Stripes, The Darkness).

The beginning 5 songs of the show seem to be auto pilot. At least Alice doesn't need to rehearse them I guess.The later Ramones sets suffered like this with the same block of songs in a row. The crutch on 18 is beyond boring. Why are people clapping for a crutch?. I'm sure there's some symbolism there that Matt or Andy could explain.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 pm

pitkin88 wrote: I think Alice has been re-hashing some stuff over the years
along with the stage show.
well, alice is known for sticking with certain stage/show elements for a few years straight. as already mentioned, once they find something that works, they are often content with leaving it alone.
pitkin88 wrote:I wouldn't say he's burnt out but it's getting a bit old. ACAS lacked imagination. Serial killer ( yawn ).
granted - a serial killer with a twist. i thought the twist was pretty neat. just my opinion though. execution was obviously lackluster.
Last edited by mattcoddington on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:12 pm

pitkin88 wrote:The beginning 5 songs of the show seem to be auto pilot. At least Alice doesn't need to rehearse them I guess.
i believe it's all about dynamics. hit the audience first with songs they know. try out some new stuff, then go into more known songs and throw in some odd balls.

however, with this new tour, those rules may get thrown out the window.
pitkin88 wrote:The crutch on 18 is beyond boring. Why are people clapping for a crutch?. I'm sure there's some symbolism there that Matt or Andy could explain.
i believe it's symbolizes older people (who sometimes have problems getting around). at the end alice usually throws the crutch signifying that he's not really old and he doesn't need it. at least that's the story i've heard. it's helps to illustrate the contrast between a 'baby's brain' and an 'old man's heart.'

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:18 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:yeah, elements of his stage show where getting old - Mr Nice Guy at #2 in the setlist for the past 6/7 years, the 3 way drum solo been on and off for that long too ... re-hashing of backdrops and stageprops.
if you compare each different TOUR (not year), then you might find there is a vast difference in stage elements, such as the things you mentioned - props, back drops, solos etc. and alice has said in the past that some props are just synonymous with 'alice cooper.'

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:23 pm

[quote="mattcoddington"]if you compare each different TOUR (not year), then you might find there is a vast difference in stage elements, such as the things you mentioned - props, back drops, solos etc. and alice has said in the past that some props are just synonymous with 'alice cooper.'[/quote]

I'm not sure about 'vast' differences. Between Eyes of Alice tour (even the mini tour before the Eyes album), Dirty Diamonds and the Psycho-Drama - Nice Guy has been #2 in setlist, rather similar stage sets of the drums and stairs and his stange entrance at the top of them. The sound of the songs being similar across those tours too... (18 sounds really different between Nightmare Returns / Special Forces / Live in the Flesh and Trash tours) but not much different over these recent past few tours. Then there's the build up of the executions, and how they are performed - be it the gallows or guillotine (although these 2 deaths illustrates one of the few vast differences I can think of between the tours of the past few years).

When comparing Psycho-drama to The Eyes, there are big differences in the look, but doesn't take much digging to see that the structures are very similar in terms of set layout and setlists.

What vast differences have there been?

Really enjoyed these tours that I speak of, they've been brilliant - so this is no complaint in terms of how little they've changed. Just more of an observation really.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 am

Wow..I didn't know there was this much negativity towards ACAS on here...in my top 5 albums, its number 3 (behind Killer and then at #1 Raise Your Fist and Yell). I think its a insanely great concept...a serial killer with multiple complications...a religious revelation...falls in love with his 8th intended victim...the great twist at the end...some of those lyrics are downright brilliant...Catch Me If You Can: "Which limb will I choose...Which one gets sawn in half...which leg would you lose to an arachnophobic psychopath....the 10 min video that goes along with this theme...its bloody brilliant!

I will defend ACAS to the very end...Alice is on a creative roll...2 albums that deal with the fate of Earth (BP and Dragontown), 2 classic rock sounding albums...a return to his horror roots (ACAS)...and now, new album????...this should be a great time to be a Cooper fan....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 am

ElectedPlus wrote: What vast differences have there been?
different set lists, different back drops, different props (snake, execution, calico's role, etc), different musicians. those are pretty major in my book.