Alice say's "You gotta play the hit's", but....

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice say's "You gotta play the hit's", but....

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:00 am

mattcoddington wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Matt, I don't believe we could do it to the penny but ball park could be done with some research. I don't have time right now but I know someone who has contracts from another band similar in size.
nope. won't work. doubtful you would even come close, let alone to the penny. not a jab at you necessarily - so many variables change every single year that it's not something that could be compiled by a fan.

I guess we'll never know as we cannot compare our guesses
to any official figures.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:13 am

pitkin88 wrote:I guess we'll never know as we cannot compare our guesses to any official figures.
huh? i don't have to guess. and i do know. however, this information, obviously, is NOT for public consumption.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 am

Aaarg... I logged onto my MySpace and I see Damon is giving away song titles they're playing.

He listed one song they bounced out of the set and another that sounds killer.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 am

I saw that too. Haven't seen either live.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:37 am

what a party pooper.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 am

Shoesalesman wrote:I saw that too. Haven't seen either live.
I saw the one live and the other I don't think he's ever done live.

Figures, that's the one they bounced... but the other is a personal favorite of mine so I can't be upset.

I was actually trying to avoid knowing the songs for this one since I'm seeing the first show.

Normally, I wouldn't bother if I'm seeing shows deeper in the tour.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 am

where are these being posted? maybe i'll tell toby to yell at him.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah I wanna know the songs too
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:38 pm

obviously pure speculation as you have NOTHING to base this on. and as andy said, you're wrong.

might be best to avoid this topic, seeing how no one here knows of alice's financial situation in detail.
I wrote; ' I'm not sure' and 'I believe'. If I said I believed in an intelligent driving force in the cosmos, that would be a fact that I believed..it could not be wrong. I know what I believe and I know what I am not sure about, really.

I'm not sure it is 'a business' as such anymore as Alice said he doesn't do it for the money anymore at all. Even if he does make money on these tours (and I never said he didn't!), it is not with business motivation according to the man himself. BUT I'm confident that Andy and Matt think they know more about Alice than Alice himself...even if that does seem somewhat rather disturbing to most of us.

Anyway, what I was getting at was that whilst it is a 'business', the goal is not one of profit maximisation, and therefore song selections will not be based with this in mind. Besides, I really don't think this comes into the equation in this case. I believe Alice will play what the majority will want to hear, what suits the set, the band, himself and that will have no bearing on generating ticket sales.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:58 pm

The only thing we can be sure of is that Alice is there for money - why would a record company invest in him otherwise?

As to whether Alice personally is there for the $'s for not, why should we care? I'm baffled as to why any fan would want to know how much tours are making for those working on them?

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Gunner wrote: I'm not sure it is 'a business' as such anymore as Alice said he doesn't do it for the money anymore at all. Even if he does make money on these tours (and I never said he didn't!), it is not with business motivation according to the man himself. BUT I'm confident that Andy and Matt think they know more about Alice than Alice himself...even if that does seem somewhat rather disturbing to most of us.
I think when Alice said that he doesn't need to do it for the money that he meant that he already has plenty of money so that he could afford to retire if he wanted to. That does not mean that he is not still making lots of money from touring. Not the same thing. Only that he is already rich enough to quit if he wanted to. I am sure he enjoys still making money too after all, it is how he makes his living. I think he just meant that he loves performing and it is not ONLY about the money. No offense, but in your original post you did say that you thought his tours made little or no money at all. Personally, I believe Alice does quite well.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:40 pm

>I wrote; ' I'm not sure' and 'I believe'. I

I know that - that’s not what I asked. I asked you why you “think” the way that you do and with such authority.

>I'm not sure it is 'a business' as such anymore as Alice said he doesn't do it for the money anymore at all.

Let’s take that to its illogical conclusion. Are you saying that he does it for free?!

>Even if he does make money on these tours (and I never said he didn't!), it is not with business motivation according to the man himself.

That doesn’t make it less of a “business”, though.

>BUT I'm confident that Andy and Matt think they know more about Alice than Alice himself..

I recommend you don’t put words in my mouth, if you don’t mind.

>if that does seem somewhat rather disturbing to most of us.

I think some of your posts are very “disturbing”.

>Anyway, what I was getting at was that whilst it is a 'business',

That’s a contradiction because in this very post you wrote “I'm not sure it is 'a business' as such anymore”, but now you’re saying that it is. You’re very confused.

>the goal is not one of profit maximisation,

Who says?! Just because Alice may not NEED the money does not mean he does not want to make MORE money, if the opportunity arises.

> and therefore song selections will not be based with this in mind.

That makes absolutely NO sense at all. On that basis, Alice would play songs from “Zipper Catches Skin” only.

>Besides, I really don't think this comes into the equation in this case. I believe Alice will play what the majority will want to hear, what suits the set, the band, himself

I agree, except that it not what you wrote in your post.

>and that will have no bearing on generating ticket sales.

Ask David Bowie about his 1995 tour.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Gunner wrote:I wrote; ' I'm not sure' and 'I believe'.
i know what you wrote, and you are still wrong.
Gunner wrote:I'm not sure it is 'a business' as such anymore as Alice said he doesn't do it for the money anymore at all.
do you know what the definition of 'business' is? it has nothing to do with someone's intent. it has to do with one's actions. non profit organizations are still considered businesses.
Gunner wrote:Even if he does make money on these tours (and I never said he didn't!),
actually, you kinda did.

"he does this for the pure fun of it and makes very little ****(if any)****~ money"
Gunner wrote:it is not with business motivation according to the man himself.
so, he doesn't know what he's doing? shep and toby don't know what they're doing either?
Gunner wrote:BUT I'm confident that Andy and Matt think they know more about Alice than Alice himself...
what a silly statement. you're wrong again.
Gunner wrote:even if that does seem somewhat rather disturbing to most of us.
who else do you speak on behalf of? this is the first i've heard of it. although with alice's memory being a little 'selective' at times, it is possible that andy and i know more than alice about certain things. so what?

Gunner wrote:Anyway, what I was getting at was that whilst it is a 'business',
huh? you just wrote that it ISN'T a business anymore!!!
Gunner wrote:the goal is not one of profit maximisation, and therefore song selections will not be based with this in mind.
oh so they are trying to fail? why are you mixing song selection in with this? goofy.
Gunner wrote:Besides, I really don't think this comes into the equation in this case.
then why bring it up?!?!?!?!?
Gunner wrote:I believe Alice will play what the majority will want to hear, what suits the set, the band, himself and that will have no bearing on generating ticket sales.
you sound like you know more about alice, than alice.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:The only thing we can be sure of is that Alice is there for money - why would a record company invest in him otherwise?

As to whether Alice personally is there for the $'s for not, why should we care? I'm baffled as to why any fan would want to know how much tours are making for those working on them?
exactly! especially because it's nobody's business.

Alice Creeper
Trash
Trash

Post by Alice Creeper » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:47 am

steven15322 wrote:What I am saying is yes you gotta please the casual fan but you can also please the diehards there are plenty of hits he can do and make the casual fan happy and enough room to include a couple of obscure songs.
Yes this right here somes it up Yeah we know hes gotta perform the same old tired hits 2 Million times to appease the Casual fans but he should throw in some new stuff and heres a good list.

1 Return Of The Spiders
2 Long Way To Go
3 Black Ju Ju
4 Yeah, Yeah , Yeah
5 Luney Toon
6 Hard Hearted Alice
7 Big Apple Dreamin
8 Never Been Sold Before
9 King Of The Silver Screen
10 Headlines
11 Tag Your It
12 I Am The Future
13 Zorros Ascent
14 Make That Money
15 Former Lee Warner
16 I Love America
17 Life & The Death Of The Party
18 The Great American Success Story
19 Freedom
20 Lock Me Up
21 Prince Of Darkness
22 Time To Kill
23 Chop, Chop ,Chop
24 Gail
25 Roses On White Lace
26 Dangerous Tonight
27 Might As Well Be On Mars
28 Hurricane Years
29 Little By Little

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:27 am

I just stumbled on this thread... can't say I've read it all, but a lot of interesting debate for sure and a dilemma for any "veteran" performer with a strong back catalog - play for the masses or the hardliners?

I must say I can't make my mind up. A local (Danish) performer has some material that's considered so much part of the country's DNA that he's actually been rewarded a lifetime grant by the state! (And yes, that is a silly idea). Said performer refuses to play this stuff live as he's "already done it"... I can't figure out if that's the greatest act of courage or the greatest act of snobbery I can think of...

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:52 pm

I dont think it would hurt to have a track like hard hearted alice in there. Personally I dont care either, if he wants to play his hits it still gets me buzzing! the problem alice has is that he has too many hits that he has to pack in to the set. lets be honest he has to play poison, schools out and eighteen i cant imagine going to a gig where he wouldnt. although i dont think the live poison has been a good enough rendition since a fistful of alice.

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 pm

He should clone himself, then do three tours at the same time:
*Hits from the AC group
*Hits from the seventies
*Hits from the eighties

And by "hits" I mean the best stuff... not necessarily the stuff that got most attention. It's great he's playing "Clones" so much at the moment, btw!

Kristian
Killer
Killer

Post by Kristian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Those statics don`t mean much I'm afraid. They only count what is in the Setlist.fm database, which doesn`t include many shows.