how popular is Alice in the US

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Re: how popular is Alice in the US

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 pm

sycuan is about 800-850. that was in 2002. brand new venue and alice was the first rock show to perform there.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm

mattcoddington wrote:the golf thing doesn't help the cause, though.
I totally agree. And calling his autobiography "Golf Monster" as well as devoting half the book to discussing golf.... was not exactly welcomed by more casual fans as well as general rock fans. In fact, the reactions on Metal Sludge were downright hostile.

Sparticus
Killer
Killer

Post by Sparticus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:58 pm

recoop wrote:Spartacus i think said there was no comparison between Alice and Aerosmith live...Spartacus did you mean Alice was a lot better and how? Haven't seen Aero live so would welcome your views..(I would have just highlighted your actual words spartacus but I have no idea how to do it...tuition welcomed)
Yeah, I meant that Alice blew Aerosmith out of the water. Aerosmith was my first live concert, was just a casual fan, but knew most of their songs. I thought it was a pretty good concert, until I saw Alice.

I was probably less of an Alice Cooper fan going into his concert than I was of Aerosmith going into theirs...and I was so blown away by The Coop that I was hooked, got onto iTunes, and bought just about all of his music catalog.

I just felt that Alice got the crowd involved way more than Aerosmith. I'm not saying if you're an Aerosmith fan, you won't enjoy the show...so don't let me discourage you! :laugh:
If you call that guilty...then that's what I am

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Sparticus wrote:
recoop wrote:Spartacus i think said there was no comparison between Alice and Aerosmith live...Spartacus did you mean Alice was a lot better and how? Haven't seen Aero live so would welcome your views..(I would have just highlighted your actual words spartacus but I have no idea how to do it...tuition welcomed)
Yeah, I meant that Alice blew Aerosmith out of the water. Aerosmith was my first live concert, was just a casual fan, but knew most of their songs. I thought it was a pretty good concert, until I saw Alice.

I was probably less of an Alice Cooper fan going into his concert than I was of Aerosmith going into theirs...and I was so blown away by The Coop that I was hooked, got onto iTunes, and bought just about all of his music catalog.

I just felt that Alice got the crowd involved way more than Aerosmith. I'm not saying if you're an Aerosmith fan, you won't enjoy the show...so don't let me discourage you! :laugh:

The same thing happened to me, I was/am a big Aerosmith fan and had tickets to see Aerosmith and Alice both in the same month..but for me, it was Chuck that kept me going back.. :love:
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:10 pm

I saw Aerosmith two nights ago. They played 80 mins, 16 songs. They dropped Dream On and Sweeet Emotion from printed set list because of Tyler's reinjury. Lost out on the scheduled Meet and Greet with Tom Hamilton I won on the radio station because he just had surgery and missed the show. Brad was back.

Lots of lights/video, and Joe can still play, but no way is Aerosmith as much fun or rock as hard as Coop. $200 for 80 mins is the biggest ripoff in rock.

ZZTop on the other hand provides the same value and fun as Coop and stole the show from Aerosmith, IMHO.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Jaded wrote:but for me, it was Chuck that kept me going back.. :love:
i know what you mean. ask him to do his 'napoleon dynamite' impression.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:24 am

mattcoddington wrote:alice still sells out his venues on a consistent basis, even going so far as selling out entire legs of tours.
Odd. Europe maybe? Concert attendance boxscores in the U.S. seem to suggest otherwise.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:27 am

what box scores?

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 am

Billboard publishes box scores and get reposted to sludge or Blabbermouth.

In fact, I have some in front of me from a few midwest dates in 2006.
Artist/Event: ALICE COOPER
City/State: Kettering, OH
Venue: Fraze Pavilion For The Perf Arts
Date: 7/20/06
Attendance: 2,922
Capacity: 4,221

City/State: Toledo, OH
Venue: Stranahan Theatre
Date: 7/9/06
Attendance: 1,689
Capacity: 2,232

City/State: Champaign, IL
Venue: Virginia Theatre
Date: 7/6/06
Attendance: 1,406
Capacity: 1,406

Artist/Event: ALICE COOPER/ FIREBALL MINISTRY
City/State: Las Vegas, NV
Venue: House Of Blues
Date: 8/13/06
Attendance: 778
Capacity: 1,800

City/State: Columbus, OH
Venue: Lifestyle Communities Pavilion
Date: 7/8/06
Attendance: 1,175
Capacity: 2,200
I had numbers from various years going back to 2002 up to last year.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 am

some of those figures look very suspect to me. also keep in mind that a 'sell out' show does not necessarily mean attendance was 100%. 'sell out' could simply means that all tickets have been sold/given away, etc. in fact, it is no secret that venues will often times take the last remaining tickets and start giving them away on the show day, just so they can say the show was 'sold out.'

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

mattcoddington wrote:some of those figures look very suspect to me.
Why?
also keep in mind that a 'sell out' show does not necessarily mean attendance was 100%. 'sell out' could simply means that all tickets have been sold/given away, etc. in fact, it is no secret that venues will often times take the last remaining tickets and start giving them away on the show day, just so they can say the show was 'sold out.'
Yes, if they get that far. Generally the shows I've been to usually looked to be about what the Billboard Boxscores would publish.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:49 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:Why?
i was at a couple of those shows, and *if* i remember correctly, the final numbers were different. not saying those numbers are wrong, they just appear to be off from what i remember.
WickedYoungMan wrote:Yes, if they get that far. Generally the shows I've been to usually looked to be about what the Billboard Boxscores would publish.
like i said above, 'looks' has nothing to do with a sell out. especially since people never stay in their seats. and believe it or not - many people who have tickets, never even show up!!!

ex. a certain venue has 500 tickets they need to get rid of. they canvas the streets giving them all away. how many of those people will actually show up? it's a crap shoot, but i would guess that most do NOT show up. although the show has now been 'sold out', attendees will still notice empty seats.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:50 am

i have actually received tickets to shows in this manner. they weren't shows that i would have bought tickets for, but since they were free, i went. of course this depends on the venue and artist's policies, etc.

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 am

Matt:

I would love to see him play either the Palace Of Auburn Hills or our outside amphitheater, DTE Energy.
I think Alice could easly fill these venues.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:20 am

like i said above, 'looks' has nothing to do with a sell out.
No, but they do have to do with what I saw at a venue and the number that Billboard reported as the final number, which is what I was alluding to. In fact I believe it was mentioned that the papered tickets and all of that are included in those attendance numbers, but that's been a while back.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:25 am

WickedYoungMan wrote: No, but they do have to do with what I saw at a venue and the number that Billboard reported as the final number, as I alluded to, which is what I was alluding to. In fact I believe it was mentioned that the papered tickets and all of that are included in those attendance numbers, but that's been a while back.
it's always possible. and obviously my examples were not related to those specific shows, or any alice shows for that matter. i was speaking about general business practices that go on behind the scenes at shows.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:25 am

Billie1966 wrote:Matt:

I would love to see him play either the Palace Of Auburn Hills or our outside amphitheater, DTE Energy.
I think Alice could easly fill these venues.
I would think that is very unlikely to happen to be honest.

DTE holds 15,000
Auburn Hills holds 23,000 people
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:29 am

no way. put alice in a 2k-3k indoor theater. no alice show, especially the theater of death show, should be performed outside.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:16 am

>In fact I believe it was mentioned that the papered tickets and all of that are included in those attendance numbers, but that's been a while back.

In my experience (and I've witnessed this a few times), every ticket has to be accounted for in some way. If the artist receives a flat fee (irrespective of how many tickets are sold), then the artist's management and booking agent will probably be less concerned with any tickets not accounted for. It then becomes the promoter's responsibility and as with any business, they have to safeguard against any lost revenue.

In the sixties and seventies, artists were continually being cheated by unscrupulous promoters who would sell, say, ten thousand tickets but tell the artist only eight thousand were sold. Actually, the book "Billion Dollar Baby" goes into this in some detail.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:41 pm

mattcoddington wrote:no way. put alice in a 2k-3k indoor theater. no alice show, especially the theater of death show, should be performed outside.
Great... two out of the three shows I have tickets for are outside.

:guntohead:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."