Pretties for you! Your thoughts!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Darren
Killer
Killer

Re: Pretties for you! Your thoughts!

Post by Darren » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:21 am

I like this album. It isn't perfect but it was recorded in 3 days...and it was the first time they had ever recorded an album. They produced it themselves, Frank did not do a whole lot if I am not mistaken.

There is some amazing stuff being done on there. I really think some of that guitar work is underrated. Again, keeping in mind how quickly this was done I think they did a great job. Levity ball was kinda cool as well. A lot of volume and tempo changes. I thought they played very well together even then.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:59 am

>They produced it themselves, Frank did not do a whole lot if I am not mistaken.

It was produced by Ian Underwood, according to Michael Bruce's book.

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:51 am

At first I didn't like it much but the more I listened it, the more I started to like it.
I'd even say it's better than Lace and Whiskey :blues: Not bad at all

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Wow, what does that tell you about Lace And Whiskey ???

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:17 pm

I never have completely been able to get into Pretties For You but the album has grown on me in recent years. It is sort of like early 80's Alice. I remember at the time I didn't particularly like the "new" Alice sound, but I discovered a new found appreciation for those albums in the mid 90's. Now Special Forces and Dada are two of my favorite Alice albums ever. PFY and Easy Action both have their moments as all Alice albums do (I legitimately like all phases of Alice) but they would still fall in my bottom five along with Muscle of Love (I know a lot of you like that album on this site), Lace and Whiskey and I hate to say it the new album (there are only three tracks on the new one that I really dig). I may be in the minority but I like the Constrictor album and The Eyes of Alice Cooper.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 pm

I know what you mean about L&W. I really like that album, but more for what it COULD have been, never mind, its still a good listen and 'Its Hot Tonight' is a truely great opener.

Gonna put PFY and EA back in the CD stack tomorrow.
...And personally, I don't care.

Sadogoat
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Sadogoat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:05 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:Wow, what does that tell you about Lace And Whiskey ???
OR, what does it tell you bout Pretties For You. :p
Pretties for You 7/10
Lace and Whiskey 6½/10

My God makes the final half points for Lace And Whiskey, really a great song, best on the album.

18ForBritainOnly
Killer
Killer

Post by 18ForBritainOnly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:45 pm

From Pretties For You I enjoy listening to "Sing Low, Sweet Cheerio", "Today Mueller", "Fields Of Regret", "Levity Ball", and "Changing,Arranging".

I enjoy all the songs from Easy Action. It took a while for "Shoe Salesman" to grow on me. :laugh:

Alexis
Trash
Trash

Post by Alexis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:58 pm

I find Pretties For You difficult to warm up to, but I respect it for what it is; psychadelic, random, and the work of a young experimental group before they found greatness. It is rather interesting when you look at it from that perspective. It's hilarious to hear Alice say that when they performed live in these early days, people used to walk out!

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 pm

Haven't listened to either in years, since my turntable was banished into the attic.

Bought them both after hearing SO and Killer. Remember finding both difficult but EA the easier of the two. Must have liked something as I later went out and bought School Days as well.

As Parish said earlier, having heard those first two, who would have thought that the next lp would be an absolute classic.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

I've never been able to get into PFY, but I really enjoy EA. A lot of strong material on there.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

CountryMetalPunk
Trash
Trash

Post by CountryMetalPunk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 am

I can't get enough of Pretties, or EA. Them, LoitD, and Killer (plus the first 3 Stooges albums) are my all-time favorites.