Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:Ironic "The Beatles" have been brought up when Michael Jackson owns a huge chunk of "The Beatles" songs/publishing rights. Something like 200+ songs I had heard.
That's right he bought the Beatles songs rights published by ATV Music think it was 241 songs.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Gunner wrote:
With respect to his music; he was talented and good dancer etc...but in my opinion was overrated. His music never exactly 'broke new ground' did it? People make people like this 'Gods' and not only does it destroy the artist, but it is a sad reflection on how little is in their own lives!

The guy had natural rhythm, could write a good dance/pop tune, could sing well..the rest is just nonsense!!! You hear about how he invented video etc...but wasn't 'Elected' the first promo..and how many people need to find out that he got the idea of using Vincent Price from 'Welcome To My Nightmare'???
With the help of producer Quincy Jones The 'Off The Wall' & 'Thriller' albums did break new ground, blending a strong Jazz influence into such a commercial context which had never been done with as much success before.

As for video he certainly took it to a new level with Thriller with the help of John Landis and the American Werewolf In London influence.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:Ironic "The Beatles" have been brought up when Michael Jackson owns a huge chunk of "The Beatles" songs/publishing rights. Something like 200+ songs I had heard.
That's right he bought the Beatles songs rights published by ATV Music think it was 241 songs.

I believe he sold them back to Paul McCartney a few years ago, right before they forclosed on the neverland ranch.
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:20 pm

I dont know if he sold them back to Sir Paul but I have heard he did sell off half of what he owned. Newsbroadcasters are speculating that his will says he is giving the rest back to him "as a token to rid the bitterness between the two". One day we may find out.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:06 am

Jaded wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:

I believe he sold them back to Paul McCartney a few years ago, right before they forclosed on the neverland ranch.

This is incorrect.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:10 am

I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:22 am

With the help of producer Quincy Jones The 'Off The Wall' & 'Thriller' albums did break new ground, blending a strong Jazz influence into such a commercial context which had never been done with as much success before.
Sorry, I don't buy that at all. When they say 'he changed pop music', just how exactly?
As for video he certainly took it to a new level with Thriller with the help of John Landis and the American Werewolf In London influence.
Nah, Adam Ant took it to a 'new level'. Anyway, the claim is 'he created pop video', a 'new level' is a different claim. The guy was very overrated and over credited for stuff. We feel the need to create 'gods' like these.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Gunner wrote:
Sorry, I don't buy that at all. When they say 'he changed pop music', just how exactly?

Nah Adam Ant took it to a 'new level'. Anyway the claim is 'he created pop video', a 'new level' is a different claim. The guy was very overrated and over credited for stuff. We feel the need to create 'gods' like these.
I'm going to have to agree with Gunner here. While I think Michael Jackson was a hugely talented singer and performer, I do think the media has exaggerated his importance and turned him into some kind of godlike figure to the point that it's gotten ridiculous.

I think the reason may have to do with the fact that disco caused rock/pop music to have a dearth of superstars and the media wanted another "superstar" so they pounced on Michael Jackson and went overboard with the accolades. Michael Jackson did indeed have some great songs, but he did not have nearly as many great songs as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones yet media-types have even taken to calling him "the greatest entertainer in the world". While he was a great entertainer, calling him the greatest is going overboard and giving him some mythical status.

Michael Jackson is an example of how the media takes a talented entertainer and overrates him to the point of turning him into some godlike creature. And Alice Cooper is at the other end of the spectrum: he is a talented entertainer too but the media now underrates his role in rock history.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Billie Jean is Michael's School's Out I'll give him that but after that song what else did he do?

Rock With Me?
Beat It?
Wanna Be Startin' Something?
Thriller?
Ben?

Even if I gave you those five songs (all are just O.K. songs) how is he the "King of Pop"?

His work with the J5 was phenomenal but on his own I just don't get it.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:23 am

Michael Jackson is an example of how the media takes a talented entertainer and overrates him to the point of turning him into some godlike creature. And Alice Cooper is at the other end of the spectrum: he is a talented entertainer too but the media now underrates his role in rock history.
Excellent post Glam. Jackson was and still is (probably even more) completely 'Deified'!!

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:55 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
This has got to be one of the most stupid things I have ever read.

Are you for real?

Just a few number ones as a solo artist?!
Everything you have listed excluding his work with the J5 I thought was incredibly lame, sorry just my opinion. Album sales mean nothing as proven by the Britney Spears of the world. Doesnt make them a "great artist"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:01 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Behind Paul McCartney's back which in retrospect was a normal position for this perv...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:14 pm

>Behind Paul McCartney's back which in retrospect was a normal position for this perv...

Without meaning to get further away from the point of the thread, that's not what happened.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: Without meaning to get further away from the point of the thread, that's not what happened.
It was done in an underhanded and questionable way....again familiar territory for this repeat offender.

Oh yeah and

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/ ... 68x496.jpg ::((:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 am

>It was done in an underhanded and questionable way

Again, it was not. That portion of the catalogue was open to all to bid. Jackson outbid Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono who put in a joint bid. Just because the identity of the bidders may have been private does not mean there was anything "underhanded and questionable".

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 pm

He bid against his "friend" and rightful owner of the songs out of greed to help pay off mounting debts from his bizarre existence.
Last edited by Parish on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:32 pm

>He bid against his "friend" and rightful owner of the songs out of greed to help pay off mounting debts from his bizarre existence.

I'm happy to debate this further, but it's clear that you know almost nothing about this subject.

>"You say potato I say potahta, lets take the boys pants off"

You have been asked not to post sexual material like that:
> 3. You agree, through your use of this message board, that you will not use it to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Message Board management holds the final say in what violates these conditions. Remember, it might not offend you, but it may offend someone else.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: Remember, it might not offend you, but it may offend someone else.
Agreed, my apologies to the board. FYI, I've heard that exact joke as well as many others which were way worse all over the radio, T.V. & Internet in the past week. It was posted not to offend but to make the board chuckle a bit.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:52 pm

I think this thread is going off topic a little however i think i need to say something. Andy is quite correct, there was nothing 'underhanded' about the way Jackson bought the rights to some of the Beatles back catalogue, as has been mentioned, it was an open auction. Whatever Sir Paul may have expressed in the media should not be taken as gospel.

My favourite artist is and always will be Alice however i also have a tremendous amount of respect for the work of Michael Jackson. The term 'The King Of Pop' was handed to Jackson from Diana Ross i believe, and i have no problem with that title. His music broke new ground, not just for pop but also black music, RnB, Hip Hop and rock to some extent. His production techniques and those of Quincy Jones are unquestionably some of the best in the music industry.

And no-one produced a quality long-form video like Thriller before Jackson.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm

If a "friend" of yours was trying to do something would you...
A) Try and help them
or
B) Bid against them

I just dont see the fuss, like I've stated elsewhere on this board, Billie Jean was Michael's Schools Out. After that I dont see any other song that was that great.

And your right no-one produced a quality long-form video like Thriller before John Landis.

Oh and by the way Landis was/still is suing Jackson for non payment of Thriller related rights.

Yeah, he was such a great artist and friend to all...