Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Si, Shoesalesman

User avatar
RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:38 pm

excerpt from http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=122616

Alice Cooper: "Michael Jackson was easily as influential as James Brown, and that's saying a lot. We had Vincent Price in common. I used him first on 'Welcome To My Nightmare' in 1975, and he later used him on 'Thriller'. Nobody moved like Michael, he was truly the King of Pop."
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Parish » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:58 pm

I dont think he was the "King of Pop" at all.

The Jackson 5 had a phenomenal run of number ones and Michael Jackson had a few but they were all nothing special except for one, Billie Jean.

That was his "School's Out" if you will. I could name a dozen more artists that could wear that moniker more accurately.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Be interested to see your nominations.LOL. What the hell is the " King of Pop " anyway?

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Parish wrote:I dont think he was the "King of Pop" at all.

The Jackson 5 had a phenomenal run of number ones and Michael Jackson had a few but they were all nothing special except for one, Billie Jean.

That was his "School's Out" if you will. I could name a dozen more artists that could wear that moniker more accurately.
This has got to be one of the most stupid things I have ever read.

Are you for real?

Just a few number ones as a solo artist?!

Try 13 number one singles in his solo career—more than any other male artist if you discount the double A sides that Elvis had at number 1.

750 million records worldwide, making him the world's best selling male solo pop artist including the biggest selling album of all time in Thriller estimated at around 60-65 million sales worldwide.

13 Grammy awards.

Then if you look at him as a live performer and what he did with video he was undoubtedly a genius in a world where that word is overused.

You say 'Billie Jean' was the only special song he ever recorded , what about 'Got To Be There', 'Ain't No Sunshine', 'One Day in Your Life', 'Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough', 'Rock With You', 'Human Nature', 'Man In The Mirror', 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' to name just some.

Then look at the stuff he recorded with his brothers
'I Want You Back', 'ABC', 'The Love You Save', 'I'll Be There', 'Never Can Say Goodbye', 'Lookin' Through the Windows', 'Doctor My Eyes', 'Show You the Way to Go', 'Blame It on the Boogie'.

Think the King Of Pop title is merited don't you!
Another Cold Beer by Steven Crayn on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify featured on TV

User avatar
daytripper
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1527
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:02 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by daytripper » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Yes he was the King Of Pop in my eyes.
Just like Alice is the King Of Shock. :clap:
But you cant say Elvis insn't the King of anything. :rotfl:
Because he was the KING of everything...and still reining !
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:45 am
Location: Finland

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:02 pm

I was quite sad after reading news about his death. I am not a huge fan but he had some great pop songs and you can't deny he was phenomally succesful artist who was also forerunner when it comes to music videos. Probably the second most succesfull artist right after The Beatles. Many of his songs are covered to death by countless artists.

I still think he had quite a personal style to make pop music. Nobody sounds like Micheal Jackson except when bands try to cover his songs. Today's pop scene is definately horrible. Artists sell more albums by their looks, tits and a huge marketing machine than their actual music. Just look Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue at the top of the charts. The whole scnene lacks every nuance originality.

I personally prefer Elton John as a pop genious. But I have nothing against calling Michael Jackson the king of pop bacause he has undoubtedly achieved alot.

Jacknife_Johnny
Killer
Killer
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Jacknife_Johnny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Whatever your feelings towards the bloke, it seems to me that he did have personal deamons he was battling, I think the tragic thing is now we'll be witness to the inevitable 'vultures gathering' with untimely haste becasuse the cash cow has gone.
:alice:
I would never join a club that would have me as a member!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:47 am

Jacknife_Johnny wrote:Whatever your feelings towards the bloke, it seems to me that he did have personal deamons he was battling, I think the tragic thing is now we'll be witness to the inevitable 'vultures gathering' with untimely haste becasuse the cash cow has gone.
:alice:


The " cash cow " is just beginning. He will be worth more dead than alive.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:32 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by BellaDonna » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:26 am

Regardless of what your or MY opinion of Michael Jackson was (and I freely admit: mine isn't kind)... Alice put it 'kindly'. Maybe he KNEW the guy - or not...- I didn't at any rate....

I prefer to leave it that way.

Rest in peace.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

User avatar
scotty
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:50 am
Location: US,ohio
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by scotty » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:36 am

they also had slash in common! :rock: michael used him on "give in to me",and I know I don't need to list alice's tracks with him on there.

User avatar
Gunner
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:20 am

At first I was shocked and a little sad, my first reaction was all the crap that he had from the media probably took its toll. THEN, I learned that he owed $500m, had blown about a billion dollars on material posessions, could not function as a being unless he was drugged up to the eyeballs and all this whilst he sang about what a bad place the world was - I have diminished respect.

With respect to his music; he was talented and good dancer etc...but in my opinion was overrated. His music never exactly 'broke new ground' did it? People make people like this 'Gods' and not only does it destroy the artist, but it is a sad reflection on how little is in their own lives!

The guy had natural rhythm, could write a good dance/pop tune, could sing well..the rest is just nonsense!!! You hear about how he invented video etc...but wasn't 'Elected' the first promo..and how many people need to find out that he got the idea of using Vincent Price from 'Welcome To My Nightmare'???

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Gunner wrote:At first I was shocked and a little sad, my first reaction was all the crap that he had from the media probably took its toll. THEN, I learned that he owed $500m, had blown about a billion dollars on material posessions, could not function as a being unless he was drugged up to the eyeballs and all this whilst he sang about what a bad place the world was - I have diminished respect.

With respect to his music; he was talented and good dancer etc...but in my opinion was overrated. His music never exactly 'broke new ground' did it? People make people like this 'Gods' and not only does it destroy the artist, but it is a sad reflection on how little is in their own lives!

The guy had natural rhythm, could write a good dance/pop tune, could sing well..the rest is just nonsense!!! You hear about how he invented video etc...but wasn't 'Elected' the first promo..and how many people need to find out that he got the idea of using Vincent Price from 'Welcome To My Nightmare'???


I think The Beatles doing " Rain " is regarded as the 1st promo video. I believe it was shown on Ed Sullivan along with another song that escapes me.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5383
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 pm

>I think The Beatles doing " Rain " is regarded as the 1st promo video. I believe it was shown on Ed Sullivan along with another song that escapes me.

I don't want to go too far away from the subject, but just as promotional films existed before "Elected", I think they also existed before "Rain" as well. There were short films made by jazz artists in the thirties and forties, for example. I think the significance of "Elected" was that it may have been the first promotional film to have something resembling a story - line, as opposed to being a film of a performance, or footage which had nothing to do with the song. Also, some might argue it predicted the very fast edits you saw in later promotional films and videos on MTV (with MTV being, apparently, an influence on "Miami Vice", for example).

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:59 am

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Jason » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:58 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Gunner wrote:At first I was shocked and a little sad, my first reaction was all the crap that he had from the media probably took its toll. THEN, I learned that he owed $500m, had blown about a billion dollars on material posessions, could not function as a being unless he was drugged up to the eyeballs and all this whilst he sang about what a bad place the world was - I have diminished respect.

With respect to his music; he was talented and good dancer etc...but in my opinion was overrated. His music never exactly 'broke new ground' did it? People make people like this 'Gods' and not only does it destroy the artist, but it is a sad reflection on how little is in their own lives!

The guy had natural rhythm, could write a good dance/pop tune, could sing well..the rest is just nonsense!!! You hear about how he invented video etc...but wasn't 'Elected' the first promo..and how many people need to find out that he got the idea of using Vincent Price from 'Welcome To My Nightmare'???


I think The Beatles doing " Rain " is regarded as the 1st promo video. I believe it was shown on Ed Sullivan along with another song that escapes me.

It was "Paperback Writer"!

I was never a fan of Michael Jackson, but just the same, condolences to his family. 50 isn't very old in the overall scheme of things.
"Same as always, different as ever"

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:59 am
Location: Still Outside Your Bedroom Window

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:10 am

Ironic "The Beatles" have been brought up when Michael Jackson owns a huge chunk of "The Beatles" songs/publishing rights. Something like 200+ songs I had heard.
Me = Winning

User avatar
Gunner
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Gunner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:45 am

I suppose 'Rain' (Beatles) was the first promo in a way, but pop video evolved and you have to say that if we are talking about developing 'visuals' in pop/rock then Alice Cooper HAS to be pretty much at the top in terms of influence. The 'Elected' film was innovative, I suppose the next one was 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen, but to call 'Jackson' creator of pop video is inaccurate propaganda and we all know that here.

User avatar
Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Maurice » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:54 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:Ironic "The Beatles" have been brought up when Michael Jackson owns a huge chunk of "The Beatles" songs/publishing rights. Something like 200+ songs I had heard.
Yes, ironic and very interesting too. Even if this is a bit off Topic, some clarification is always useful, and you may like to read more about it here;-

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

User avatar
Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Maurice » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:01 am

A_MichaelUK wrote: Also, some might argue it predicted the very fast edits you saw in later promotional films and videos on MTV (with MTV being, apparently, an influence on "Miami Vice", for example).

I would agree that, on re-watching the video, I get a sense of a very modern (or 'current'even), style of camera editing. The kind that keeps you 'wanting' by showing very short but interesting clips in fast succession.

It seems certain to me that it was way ahead of its time in that regard, anyway.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

User avatar
Gunner
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Gunner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:35 am

What, you mean like the trailers for X-Factor and movies etc?? Oh, how I detest that bombardment of images in quick succession - edited with images out of context to play with your mind and make you think what they want you to think!!

User avatar
Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:45 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Alice comments on Michael Jackson

Post by Maurice » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Gunner wrote: What, you mean like the trailers for X-Factor and movies etc??
Possibly, but I don't think that particular style is at all limited to just those applications.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

Post Reply