Chop, Chop, Chop

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Chop, Chop, Chop

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 am

cooperrocks wrote:I respectfully disagree. I love the entire RYFAY album.

Constrictor and RYFAY polarize a lot of fans. Lyrically both are very poor and Kanes ham fisted noodlings run rampant over everything.I always felt that Alice Cooper was a hard rock act not heavy metal one ( which these two albums undoubtably were ). A lot of fans got on board here as there was a proper stage show with a budget unlike the night club act act of Special Forces. I'm not sure what Alice thinks of RYFAY but he doesn't seem to play many of the songs live these days.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 am

The live shows imo sounded great thanks to Kane and to Arthur Funaro.
Personally I don't see Alice nor as a hard rock act nor as a heavy metal one, Alice created a league of his own.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Lyrically poor?! Gail is some of the best lyrics Alice has ever written IMO. ROWL is also great lyrically.

I have no source to quote but I'm sure I read somewhere the reason Alice doesn't do any material from RYFAY or Constrictor is (supposedly) because none of the guitarists can get the Kane Roberts sound and therefore not do them any justice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I have to chime in here as well. I think RYFAY is a Brilliant Album. Right there in my top 5

B$B
RYFAY
Killer
LITD
SCHOOL'S OUT

Constrictor was a little too demo sounding for my tastes..But a few good songs. "Raise" smokes the latter. IMO.

Chop Chop Chop(Heck... the trilogy as well) hits ya like a freight train..Ken K Mary....What a monster!!!
I wish Alice would or could go back to a CD like just once. know I am a loner on this one. Classic Alice and the Kane years were my favorite.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm

guilty65 wrote:I have to chime in here as well. I think RYFAY is a Brilliant Album. Right there in my top 5

B$B
RYFAY
Killer
LITD
SCHOOL'S OUT

Constrictor was a little too demo sounding for my tastes..But a few good songs. "Raise" smokes the latter. IMO.

Chop Chop Chop(Heck... the trilogy as well) hits ya like a freight train..Ken K Mary....What a monster!!!
I wish Alice would or could go back to a CD like just once. know I am a loner on this one. Classic Alice and the Kane years were my favorite.
According to your top 5 your fave era looks like Cooper/Buxton/Bruce/Smith and Dunaway.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Gorehound wrote:Lyrically poor?! Gail is some of the best lyrics Alice has ever written IMO. ROWL is also great lyrically.

I have no source to quote but I'm sure I read somewhere the reason Alice doesn't do any material from RYFAY or Constrictor is (supposedly) because none of the guitarists can get the Kane Roberts sound and therefore not do them any justice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere.

I read this too and posted something to that affect. I was asked for proof by our resident expert here.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm

An example of lyrically poor:

Don't like your smile
Don't like your clothes
Don't like your hair
And I don't care about your ruby-pierced nose

Oh for the brilliance of Former Lee Warmer.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm

But an example of genius lyrics from RYFAY:

"Some people call me the Ripper..stole my modus operandi from the movie screen...she's just a celluloid stripper...just another bloody player in my splatterfilled dream....women on the street want money when we meet, i take'em for a little ride..." CHILLING!!

Besides my top 5 has RYFAY at the top:

Raise Your Fist and Yell
Killer
Along Came A Spider
Welcome to My Nightmare
Brutal Planet
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 pm

guilty65 wrote:Classic Alice and the Kane years were my favorite.
Even though Heavy Metal Alice isn't exactly my all time favorite period, I think Kane was the right fit for Alice at the time. Constrictor got me into Alice's back catalog so I have a bit of a soft spot for Kane because he was there at my introduction to Alice.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

ConstrictorRules
Trash
Trash

Post by ConstrictorRules » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 am

Constrictor and Raise Your Fist and Yell were my first introduction to Alice, so they'll always have a soft spot for me. But, even after listening to all of Alice's albums, when I really want to turn up the juice, I listen to RYFAY! Chop, Chop, Chop is incredible!

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 am

Constrictor and RYFAY were my first introduction to Alice as well. That voice, instantly hooked me. Even though I don't consider those two albums the all time best of Alice, I still think they were important albums. They instantly put Alice back in the into the game so to speak. The tours of course had something to do with that success as well. Alice proved he could still go...but I think he was almost typecast into the blood and guts character (if I remember correctly)he said something like "Another Blood and Guts Album and I would have been Slayer"

However, RYFAY will always be a favorite album of mine because it was by far the most played album of Alice's when I was a young lad in my impressionable years. (look what you did to me Alice) But it got me into everything else he had done before then.

I think "Chop Chop Chop" is one of THE greatest song titles of all time.

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 am

guilty65 wrote:I wish Alice would or could go back to a CD like just once. know I am a loner on this one. Classic Alice and the Kane years were my favorite.
Nah you're not a loner Guilty, I'd love another RYFAY type album.

It ranks in my top 5 too, love it!
Flesh fanatic psychopath

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:13 pm

RYFAY was at the time a very good move , copyed the general metal vibe of the time and got the coop a new generation of fans . All the albums he did around this period where all good albums at the time , but to my ear sound very dated . They do have a few good tunes but overall very generic tunes and lacking in something special . But hey what do i know , i love the Flush the fashion to Da Da period and many hate those albums .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:43 am

Probably the worst Alice album cover.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:59 am

CONSTRICTOR is largely doodoo, but RAISE YOUR FIST AND YELL is a great album.

Yes, it's different, but isn't that part of what makes Alice so fun?

If we wanted all the albums to sound the same, we'd be AC/DC fans. :rotfl:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

guilty65
Killer
Killer

Post by guilty65 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:04 am

pitkin88 wrote:
guilty65 wrote:I have to chime in here as well. I think RYFAY is a Brilliant Album. Right there in my top 5

B$B
RYFAY
Killer
LITD
SCHOOL'S OUT

Constrictor was a little too demo sounding for my
tastes..But a few good songs. "Raise" smokes the latter. IMO.

According to your top 5 your fave era looks like Cooper/Buxton/Bruce/Smith and Dunaway.
Yeah that's why put RYFAY in with the classicks. I think it's that good. The cover art is pretty lame. The playing on it is just blazing.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 am

Raise Your Fist And Yell is my favorite album of all time
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER