Deluxe Editions

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Deluxe Editions

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:51 pm

It's a perfect world and Warner and Alice's management ask for your help in coming up with some deluxe versions. They can be up to 5 cds per album. What would you like to bonus cuts, live shows/tracks would you like to see. I'd like to start with the band stuff first. No particular order. I'd like to start with Billion Dollar Babies first as there's a lot of stuff out there.

This is meant to be a fun thread where some knowledge can be passed around and we can get an idea of exactly what is out there.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Deluxe Editions

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:42 pm

>This is meant to be a fun thread where some knowledge can be passed around and we can get an idea of exactly what is out there.

Go ahead. Make sure you do "start with Billion Dollar Babies first as there's a lot of stuff out there."

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Pretties for You
Studio Outtakes
01) Girl You're Still Nowhere
02) Living
03) Sing Low Sweet Cheerio
04) Elected original version (later becomes Reflected)
05) No Price Tag
06) Wonder Who's Loving Her Now
07) Talk Talk
08) Apple Bush
09) Changing Arranging
10) Fields of Regret (alt lyrics sans Killer quotes)
Live
Any show that's not the Toronto R'n'R Revivial show or The Whisky would be welcome, but I would say a complete version of Don't Blow Your Mind would make for a good example of how
cacophonous the band was from time to time.

Easy Action
Live
Any complete show would be most welcome. Stand out tracks would be the original arrangement of I'm Eighteen and love that Lay Down & Die/Black Juju medley

Love It to Death
Studio Outtakes
01) Fields of Regret (with Killer quote)
02) I'm Eighteen
03) Black Juju
04) Is It My Body/My Very Own
05) Second Coming/Ballad of Dwight Fry
06) Sun Arise
Live
If only one live track could be released, then surely the encore Return of the Spiders has to be the pick

Killer
Studio Outtakes
01) Desert Night Thing
02) Be My Lover
03) Halo of Flies
04) You Drive Me Nervous
05) Killer
Live
A complete live show would be the best as this is a dynamite tour for the Coopers but if only 1 cut could be released I'd pick Yeah Yeah Yeah, as it gets dropped after this tour, never to return.
I find the Killer demos the most interesting. The radically different lyrics of HoF and Desert Night Thing and the different arrangement of You Drive Me Nervous makes these
recordings essential.

School's Out
Studio Outtakes
01) School's Out
02) Luney Tune
03) Gutter Cat vs The Jets
04) Blue Turk
05) My Stars
06) Public Animal #9
Live
Again a complete show would be terrific, as this and Killer represent the high mark for the band in concert but if only selected tracks were to be released then my vote goes for
Halo of Flies and what is my favorite arrangement of I'm Eighteen which sounds it borrows from Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and has the insane vocals of Alice. Absolute monster!
The studio outtakes from SO are fine but are more just rough versions of the album, not as radically different like the Killer material.

Billion Dollar Babies
Studio Outtakes
Well if the All Star Jam is really unlistenable than I don't know what else there is, maybe the Quad version of Sick Things.
The Deluxe version is a thing of beauty so it's difficult to add anything.
Live
A complete show would be nice but not essential, maybe if they had the tapes rolling when Flo & Eddie joined them for "A Hard Day's Night".

Muscle of Love
Studio outtakes
01) Man with the Golden Gun
02) Teenage Lament
03) Woman Machine
04) Never Been Sold Before
05) No Respect for the Sleepers (different take than the one on the LaCoAC set)
06) Workin' Up a Sweat
07) Hard Hearted Alice
08) Baby Please Don't Stop (a bit maligned but actually not a bad song - I think it sounds a bit like a Doors throw away tune)
Live
Any show from the too brief B$B Holiday tour, but if only a few cuts were included, then the MoL material done live (BAD, HHA and WUaS)
One of the cool things about the MoL outtakes is that they aren't sweetened (no horns, lacking all those background vocals) so the bare essence of the tunes come through.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:38 am

Phew!! Nice start Toronto Bob.

Billion Dollar Babies. Deluxe

Disc 1) Rhino Remaster

Disc 2) Billion Dollar Babies ( quad mix )

Disc 3) Billion Dollar Babies ( Dvd audio )

Disc 4) Rhino Billion Dollar Babies live show complete with encore.

Disc 5) 45' mixes and bonus cuts:
Elected 45:(25 seconds shorter than album version )
Hello Hurray 45: ( 73 seconds shorter )
Billion Dollar Babies ( 39 seconds shorter )
Generation Landslide ( Son Of )from BDB Rhino
Coal Black Model T ( From BDB Rhino )
Slick Black Limousine
Unfinished Suite ( unused intro from flexi )
Generation Landslide ( alt mix to above )ends with Neal's cymbal crash
Last edited by pitkin88 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:57 am

Muscle Of Love Deluxe Box

Disc 1 Muscle Of Love Remaster with Bonus Cuts
45 mixes Teenage Lament ( 23 seconds shorter than album )
Muscle of Love ( 20 seconds shorter than album )

Disc 2 Muscle Of Love quad. I've not heard this but I believe it's not as different a mix as say BDB's quad.

Disc 3 Muscle of Love studio outtakes ( courtesy of TB )
01) Man with the Golden Gun
02) Teenage Lament
03) Woman Machine
04) Never Been Sold Before
05) No Respect for the Sleepers (different take than the one on the LaCoAC set)
06) Workin' Up a Sweat
07) Hard Hearted Alice
08) Baby Please Don't Stop Neal Smith vocal.(Live
Any show from the too brief B$B Holiday tour, but if only a few cuts were included, then the MoL material done live (BAD, HHA and WUaS)
One of the cool things about the MoL outtakes is that they aren't sweetened (no horns, lacking all those background vocals) so the bare essence of the tunes come through.
* I should that they are the best sounding outtakes out there

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 am

>Billion Dollar Babies. Deluxe

I'm confused. You wrote:
"What would you like to bonus cuts, live shows/tracks would you like to see." However, some of the stuff which you listed in your last post has already been released.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:48 am

>One of the cool things about the MoL outtakes is that they aren't sweetened (no horns, lacking all those background vocals) so the bare essence of the tunes come through.

Don't forget that some of the stuff which is referred to as "outtakes" might not be "outtakes", but rehearsal recordings.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:35 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>One of the cool things about the MoL outtakes is that they aren't sweetened (no horns, lacking all those background vocals) so the bare essence of the tunes come through.

Don't forget that some of the stuff which is referred to as "outtakes" might not be "outtakes", but rehearsal recordings.
Absolutely, these recordings are often referred to as demos but really they could be either rehearsals, work tapes or outtakes. Just kind of a generic term. To my ears, none of them sound polished enough to have been considered to be the version that would of gone on the album instead of the version that ended up being released.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Billion Dollar Babies. Deluxe

I'm confused. You wrote:
"What would you like to bonus cuts, live shows/tracks would you like to see." However, some of the stuff which you listed in your last post has already been released.

Sorry. You can just list bonus cuts or you can list official stuff too to make up a box.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:02 pm

>Just kind of a generic term

For the purposes of this thread, perhaps, but if you want to consider yourself something of a 'completist', I think specific descriptions should be used.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Just kind of a generic term

For the purposes of this thread, perhaps, but if you want to consider yourself something of a 'completist', I think specific descriptions should be used.
Well it's this thread I'm commenting in, so it's entirely appropriate and I'm not particulariy concerned with being considered a completist. I like what I like and pursue what I'm interested in and leave the rest alone. And I'm interested in hearing music. I love hearing different recordings and different arrangements in particular. I am not interested in being considered some sort of expert. Just a fan pursuing an interest and wanting to benefit from the collective knowledge base of the Alice Cooper community and maybe even contributing to that communtiy once in a while.

For me to state uneqivocally what are rehearsals, what are demos, and what are outtakes would take a consesus on the definition of those terms and then to have reliable information on the recording sessions (documentation of studio bookings, first hand accounts by Michael, Dennis, Neal, Alice, the recording engineers and session producer)none of which I have, nor did I suggest otherwise.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:31 pm

>Well it's this thread I'm commenting in, so it's entirely appropriate and I'm not particulariy concerned with being considered a completist.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to you, though.

>I like what I like and pursue what I'm interested in and leave the rest alone.

>You’re being very defensive, for some reason.

> Just a fan pursuing an interest and wanting to benefit from the collective knowledge base of the Alice Cooper community and maybe even contributing to that communtiy once in a while.

I never said there was anything wrong with any of that.

>For me to state uneqivocally what are rehearsals, what are demos, and what are outtakes would take a consesus on the definition of those terms

Actually, for people who have been collecting for a long time, there already is a “consesus” (or “consensus”, which is what you meant). If you look at some collecting publications, those different terms are often explained very well.

>and then to have reliable information on the recording sessions (documentation of studio bookings, first hand accounts by Michael, Dennis, Neal, Alice, the recording engineers and session producer)none of which I have, nor did I suggest otherwise.

That’s all true, but since it may not be clear which type of recording you may be referring to and since you only wanted to use “kind of a generic term” (which I can understand), I think that rather than use “Outtakes”, you can say “different version” or “previously un – released version”, if you don’t know exactly what you’re referring to. I only mention it because some people might waste time looking for an “outtake” of “Apple Bush” when in fact, it doesn’t exist because you what you’re referring to is something else (like a rehearsal recording, rather than an actual attempt at a final recording). I’m not trying to be pedantic, but, for some people, it does make a difference.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:23 am

For no particular reason I was looking through old threads and thought - too bad some good posters seem to have gone away (I can't imagine why), and I came across my first encounter with "the boss"

Anyway - basically nothing has changed, I was responding to a thread and contributing to discussion about music and the fluffer was being his usual tedious self.

Should have taken my suggestions back then for the box set.

hywel where are you?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:12 pm

From Toronto Bob:
"I was responding to a thread and contributing to discussion about music and the fluffer was being his usual tedious self."

Have some self - respect. All I did was point out that some of your terms weren't precise enough - it was nothing personal but you were the one who chose to be upset about it, which kind of might be why you have revived the thread.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Please this is a fun thread and stop fighting.

In the KILLER boxset is 100% the St. Louis show from the Old School boxset.

I would also love to get a cd/box of the pre Alice Cooperstuff : Spiders/Nazz/Earwigs/solo singles and contibutions.
It will never happen but we can dream.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:14 am

For a fan like myself , who has every official release , and a smattering of bootlegs , this is a great topic ...

Thanks for the info so far ...

I look forward to reading more ....

philouze
Trash
Trash

Post by philouze » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06 am

Ah, what the hell, let's dream a little:

From The Inside:

Disc 1 : remastered album
Disc 2 : demos/studio sessions (yeah, even snippets from unreleased songs.. I take it all!!)/No Tricks
Disc 3 : live recording featuring Jacknife Johnny and For Veronica's Sake (he played them on a few dates at the beginning of the Madhouse Rock tour, if my memory serves me right)

All right, wake up now. :laugh:
F.T.L.O.Y.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:17 pm

philouze wrote:Ah, what the hell, let's dream a little:

From The Inside:

Disc 1 : remastered album
Disc 2 : demos/studio sessions (yeah, even snippets from unreleased songs.. I take it all!!)/No Tricks
Disc 3 : live recording featuring Jacknife Johnny and For Veronica's Sake (he played them on a few dates at the beginning of the Madhouse Rock tour, if my memory serves me right)

All right, wake up now. :laugh:
Don't forget "All strapped"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:23 pm

I have zero interest in that album though it could certainly be expanded and All Strapped Up should have a release. I would think a demo must exist for that.

philouze
Trash
Trash

Post by philouze » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:42 am

mestreech wrote:Don't forget "All strapped"
I figured All Strapped Up would be on the Live disc. But, as Pitkin said, if a studio recording exists, then yeah, let's put it on the second disc, alongside with Locked Up Lullaby (which I have never heard).
F.T.L.O.Y.