Is The Mega Box set Dead?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Is The Mega Box set Dead?

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:34 pm

>I don't think I've mentioned contracts once.

Actually, you kind of did. In an earlier post, you referred to "the Warner clock" (BellaDonna can tell you if she wants an apology). Also, as I said before, "the factual quote from the guy doing the re-masters" destroys your entire argument. In other words, rather than being GRATEFUL that Warner Brothers, allowed this material to be re - mastered (in the quality that you are SO desperate to have), you BLAME "the management team" for not coming up with the idea. Interesting set of priorities. You are very, VERY confused.

>I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Of course you are - just try to keep your prejudices out of it and stick to the facts.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 pm

>You can criticise "Alice & Co" about the back catalogue all you want. It won't change the fact that, as has been explained over and over, it generally isn't their fault.

Also, I am willing to bet that there is HARDLY an artist out there who has released EVERYTHING they have ever recorded, which means that if there ARE artists out there who STILL have un - released material, then according to the logic shown by pitkin88, it is the ALL the managers of ALL those artists that should be blamed.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:57 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Looks like the management team played NO part in Steve Hoffman's " School's Out "

Exactly, which kind of destroys your entire argument.

Interesting the idea came from a fan in the industry.

He's not just any "fan" though. That's the difference.

>Thank goodness we have someone who cares how CLASSIC albums should be heard and presented.

I agree, but I hope you don't think Steve Hoffman is not going to be paid for his work!

It backs up my argument that's why I posted it. Hoffman is a FAN. Of course he'll get paid what a ridiculous comment.
He's hardly going to get rich off a run of $2500 copies. It's partly a labour of love and you know it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I don't think I've mentioned contracts once.

Actually, you kind of did. In an earlier post, you referred to "the Warner clock" (BellaDonna can tell you if she wants an apology). Also, as I said before, "the factual quote from the guy doing the re-masters" destroys your entire argument. In other words, rather than being GRATEFUL that Warner Brothers, allowed this material to be re - mastered (in the quality that you are SO desperate to have), you BLAME "the management team" for not coming up with the idea. Interesting set of priorities. You are very, VERY confused.

>I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Of course you are - just try to keep your prejudices out of it and stick to the facts.

Talk about spin. LOL. Now I've kind of referred to something. Who's very confused and grasping at straws? Where are these FACTS you keep talking about?
Seeing as you have have hot line to Renfield perhaps you could ask him if he'd like to do a Q and A. Seriously, do you think I'm afraid to ask a question?. If he'd respond I would but I doubt he would ( not that I think he's afraid of my question but if he regularly responds to fans then we could have cleared this up no problems ). Here's what

I'll do. If it's ok with the board I'll send the link to this thread to Renfield and he can weigh in.
For the record i'm grateful for some stuff and very unhappy about other stuff. I guess I " desperately " care
more than you and others. My bad.

Also for the record I don't hate Renfield or the management team.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>You can criticise "Alice & Co" about the back catalogue all you want. It won't change the fact that, as has been explained over and over, it generally isn't their fault.

Also, I am willing to bet that there is HARDLY an artist out there who has released EVERYTHING they have ever recorded, which means that if there ARE artists out there who STILL have un - released material, then according to the logic shown by pitkin88, it is the ALL the managers of ALL those artists that should be blamed.

I am talking solely about Alice NOT other artists. Please explain " generally ". When did I say I wanted EVERYTHING released? I would have liked to hear the 26 minute so called " Super Group " doing Cocanut but Renfield said it was unlistenable. I'll take his word.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 pm

From what I've read, I think Marshall is the bigger Alice Cooper fan.

I've never heard Steve wax poetic over Alice as he does other artists and he never posted any sort of note on the mastering of the SO sessions like he has some of the artists he is into (Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, etc).

Still, don't kid yourself, they are in business to make money although there is a genuine love for what they do.

A while back, they were soliciting for suggestions of artists to do on Audio Fidelity and Alice Cooper was a common request. I'm sure that had something to do with it, too.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 pm

I still don't understand why of all people Ren would STILL be getting the blame for something he has ZERO control over. The defense is certainly from no "allegiance" it is just being fair and stating the facts. I certainly have praised but expressed criticism as well. I don't care all that much for the new album myself, I enjoy the live concerts now but am praying for a return to a bigger and different show,

To be blunt, if Shep had complete control over a product's release and thought that it would be financially worth it, we'd probably be seeing it and about a hundred more things out there now. That's part of his job description, why not? But alas the world doesn't spin around like that.

The topic has sort of gotten removed from its original intent, which was to discuss the Mega Box Set. The Mega Box Set was being held up due to, and I quote "RECORD COMPANY POLITICS." I don't think this lends to any sort of "blind" allegiance.

As for management having control over an archived release that someone feels is a "shoddy product," I do want to add to this. "The Nightmare Returns" DVD came out two years ago and had a moronic tracklisting because it listed "Im Eighteen" as "18 (Little Flower at Ulysses.)" It was also a rather "bare minimum" released except for the upside that it had a bonus video. It was released by Universal Music. I passed that error info along to Ren to see if they had any info on it and the response I got at the time led me to believe that they may have *known* that Universal was planning a release, but that was as far as it went! Unless I am mistaken, it sounded like Universal released this possibly without even sending an advanced copy along to Alice's people. Obviously if Alice's people had it their way, especially Ren, extra care would have been given to that release and the tracklisting would have been corrected and there may have been even more added to the release. Maybe, maybe not, doesn't matter.

To lend even further credence to how minimal control an artist can have over their own material, it might be important to read some music/entertainment news sometimes. Not too long ago, there was a band or artist who were furious with their record label for releasing a greatest hits album that they never approved of. Also I want to post this excerpt from a recent news article (which is about the Smashing Pumpkins suing their record label,) which is actually a long the lines of a comment Andy has stated repeatedly but this is straight from the horses mouth sorta...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/ma ... feed=music
While disputes between artists and labels are nothing new, the tension is expected to increase as the music industry looks for new revenue streams.

The Beatles famously refused to have their music used in advertising but recently Sony Publishing, which owns the rights to their back catalogue, said it would allow it for the first time.
I just don't know how much more clear it can be. I have nothing to gain or lose personally by pointing this out, but blame for the lack of archival or "shoddy" material is certainly being blindly thrown in the wrong direction.
Me = Winning

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:22 pm

>It backs up my argument that's why I posted it. Hoffman is a FAN.

But he's a "FAN" with POWER (which is based on his skill and reputation). He's not an ordinary fan in the way that just about everybody else is. You make him sound like he just walked in off the street or something and somehow got handed this project.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:23 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I guess I " desperately " care
more than you and others. My bad.
I think it's quite presumptuous of you to say you care more than the rest of us.

More likely, the rest of us simply understand and are more willing to accept the realities of the situation than you are.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:30 pm

I don't think Alice and management can be blamed for anything. However long it takes to get this project done with whoever has the rights is up to forces that may be out of their control. There was a wait with the first box set, and I'm not comparing this to that delay... but lets just see what happens. I'd rather think of the possibilities than the process it takes.

The fact both Shep and Renfield are long-time folks with Alice (along with other people, of course), I'm sure what can be done is being addressed. If it's a long haul with this project, it's reassuring to know there's already a commitment there from those around Alice. Lets just see where this goes, that's all.

*yoda*
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:31 pm

>Talk about spin.

Show me where there is "spin"?

> Who's very confused and grasping at straws?

You need to explain who you're referring to because BellaDonna, glamprincess, Remarkably Insincere and Si all kind of agree with what I've been saying.

>Where are these FACTS you keep talking about?

Read almost every post from me in this thread.

>Seeing as you have have hot line to Renfield

Idiotic. There is no "hot line". I told you how you can contact him, if you want to.

> perhaps you could ask him if he'd like to do a Q and A. Seriously, do you think I'm afraid to ask a question?.

Sort of, because you've had about a week to contact him but you haven't done so yet (longer if you include the time from when the 'mega - box' was first announced).

>If he'd respond I would but I doubt he would

ASK HIM YOURSELF THEN.

>( not that I think he's afraid of my question but if he regularly responds to fans then we could have cleared this up no problems ).#

Again, you're speaking from a position of ignorance, because he did exactly that for about five or six years and mainly got a load of aggravation from it from ignorant people like you who made even more idiotic accusation than you did.

> For the record i'm grateful for some stuff and very unhappy about other stuff.

How interesting. You've been finally qualified your earlier statement. I wonder why.

>I guess I " desperately " care more than you and others. My bad.

How long - suffering you are.

>Also for the record I don't hate Renfield or the management team.

I don't think I implied that. All I asked was that you provide evidence for your accusations. I'm still waiting.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:35 pm

>I am talking solely about Alice NOT other artists.

But why is Alice any different to any "other artists"? Why does he have to be treated differently?

>Please explain " generally ".

Neither Si nor I used that word in the excerpts you quoted, so I don't understand what it is that you are trying to say.

>When did I say I wanted EVERYTHING released?

So what DO you want to be made available? Just the things that YOU want?!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:38 pm

We are just going round in circles. The facts of the situation have been stated and it seems the "other side" aren't going to except them for whatever reason. I don't see any point in continuing this any further as it's just going to decend into more and more flaming.

Topic Locked.