Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Is The Mega Box set Dead?

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:19 am

I'm sure it is. Hoffman has just completed " Schools' Out "
with " Killer " on the way and no doubt " Love It To Death " following. We've has BDB's and WTMN remastered with bonus cuts along with FTI, Pretties etc on Rhino Encore. So who's gonna shell out again for a mega box?

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Re: Is The Mega Box set Dead?

Post by aliceclone12 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:25 am

You know i actually forgot all about teh mega box set, and now i'm angry! :angry:
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:04 pm

pitkin88 wrote:So who's gonna shell out again for a mega box?
Counting my pennies as we speak.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Counting my pennies as we speak.

As I'm counting my nickels!

How cool would it be if all of the Sickthings of the world would band (pun intended) together and fund/produce a Mega Box Set?
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:42 pm

SKULLBOY wrote:

How cool would it be if all of the Sickthings of the world would band (pun intended) together and fund/produce a Mega Box Set?

Would be nice but with the re-issues, remasters out there plus the cost of shipping etc it would be impracticle. I think this ship has sailed. Is anyone in contact with Renfield so we could ask what's going on? I love the idea of the Steve Hoffman masters as that is the best sounding cd we'll ever get but I'm disappointed with no bonus cuts. Maybe one day we'll be able to get unreleased tracks, 45 versions etc via download.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 pm

SKULLBOY wrote:

Now that's a good idea, I'd pursue it but I don't want to incur the wrath of certain sanctimonious types. :evil:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 am

>but I don't want to incur the wrath of certain sanctimonious types.

It's not the "sanctimonious types" you have to be worried about. It's the Canadian Department Of Justice.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:30 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>but I don't want to incur the wrath of certain sanctimonious types.

It's not the "sanctimonious types" you have to be worried about. It's the Canadian Department Of Justice.

I seriously doubt anyone has to worry about the Canadian
Department of Justice. I know for a fact that certain so called " Sanctamonius types " here have been trading boots since the early 80's as I've traded with them!!

There's a fan label called " Purple Chick " that has produced a huge set of all Beatle known outtakes. These are FREE and not for SALE. The sets are Beatle albums re-dux which means you get Sgt Pepper stereo/mono,Outtakes, 45's mixes and variations from around the world. The label has been mentioned in Rolling Stone and The New York Times
for its amazing archiving of Beatle material. When the Beatles released " Live at the Beeb " they appealed for any FANS out there to let them know if they had any tracks The Beeb didn't. A lot of the fan tracks turned up on the
OFFICIAL album. Hmmnnn I seem to remember Renfield asking for us to do something similar here for the Mega Box. I don't remember any warning about staying clear of the Canadian government though.

A nice thread here would be an album by album re-dux starting with Pretties listing all the known outtakes etc that would be listed as bonus tracks.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:22 pm

>I seriously doubt anyone has to worry about the Canadian Department of Justice.

You know what I meant, though.

>I know for a fact that certain " Un
Sanctamonius types " here have been trading boots since the early 80's as I've traded with them!!

So have I, but that has nothing to do with this discussion. No - one said anything about "trading". Go back and read what Skullboy said and the reply from Toronto Bob to his suggestion. Also, if Toronto Bob is allowed to refer to me as "sanctimonious" (and let's not pretend he wasn't), then I'm allowed to remind him that it's not a good idea in relation to the idea that Skullboy put forward (which was probably just an idle thought and not meant seriouly). In other words, anyone here is free to take a shot, as long as I can respond in similar vein.

>These are FREE and not for SALE.

That's totally irrlevant, as I think you know. Only the copyright holder can authorise the release of a recording (and I'm sure you know that). Read the small print on any CD or piece of vinyl you own.

>A lot of the fan tracks turned up on theOFFICIAL album.

I know all that, but you're missing the point and confusing things. The Beatles project you referred to was, indeed, "OFFICIAL". The project Skullboy mentioned would not be. Do you not see the difference?

>Hmmnnn I seem to remember Renfield asking for us to do something similar here for the Mega Box.

So what? I have provided something from my collection for use by Alice Cooper, but that has nothing to do with the suggestion that Skullboy mentioned. You're getting confused. The box set was an "OFFICIAL" project. The project Skullboy mentioned would not be. Why are you comparing an "OFFICIAL" project" with something that would not be?

> I don't remember any warning about staying clear of the Canadian government though.

You're not following this. The box set was an "OFFICIAL" project. The project Skullboy mentioned would not be.

>A nice thread here would be an album by album re-dux starting with Pretties listing all the known outtakes etc that would be listed as bonus tracks.

You have a short memory. Go to my last post at:
http://www.alicecooperpics.co.uk/Sickth ... 8&start=40

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:25 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>I seriously doubt anyone has to worry about the Canadian Department of Justice.

You know what I meant, though.

>I know for a fact that certain " Un
Sanctamonius types " here have been trading boots since the early 80's as I've traded with them!!

So have I, but that has nothing to do with this discussion. No - one said anything about "trading". Go back and read what Skullboy said and the reply from Toronto Bob to his suggestion. Also, if Toronto Bob is allowed to refer to me as "sanctimonious" (and let's not pretend he wasn't), then I'm allowed to remind him that it's not a good idea in relation to the idea that Skullboy put forward (which was probably just an idle thought and not meant seriouly). In other words, anyone here is free to take a shot, as long as I can respond in similar vein.

>These are FREE and not for SALE.

That's totally irrlevant, as I think you know. Only the copyright holder can authorise the release of a recording (and I'm sure you know that). Read the small print on any CD or piece of vinyl you own.

>A lot of the fan tracks turned up on theOFFICIAL album.

I know all that, but you're missing the point and confusing things. The Beatles project you referred to was, indeed, "OFFICIAL". The project Skullboy mentioned would not be. Do you not see the difference?

>Hmmnnn I seem to remember Renfield asking for us to do something similar here for the Mega Box.

So what? I have provided something from my collection for use by Alice Cooper, but that has nothing to do with the suggestion that Skullboy mentioned. You're getting confused. The box set was an "OFFICIAL" project. The project Skullboy mentioned would not be. Why are you comparing an "OFFICIAL" project" with something that would not be?

> I don't remember any warning about staying clear of the Canadian government though.

You're not following this. The box set was an "OFFICIAL" project. The project Skullboy mentioned would not be.

>A nice thread here would be an album by album re-dux starting with Pretties listing all the known outtakes etc that would be listed as bonus tracks.

You have a short memory. Go to my last post at:
http://www.alicecooperpics.co.uk/Sickth ... 8&start=40
Who said I was talking about anything that was unofficial? I never implied anything that said we should do it illegally, I was merely implying that if we all raised enough money we could perhaps convince certain labels to make the album, since it usually boils down to money. I of course was not seriously saying we should, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't jump in on something like that if it were to come about.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:38 pm

>Who said I was talking about anything that was unofficial?

Well, Toronto Bob did, otherwise he wouldn’t be worried about the “sanctimonious types”, which he mentioned. I just followed his lead.

>I never implied anything that said we should do it illegally,

I didn’t even consider it to be a serious idea, irrespective of whether it was legal or not.

>I was merely implying that if we all raised enough money we could perhaps convince certain labels to make the album, since it usually boils down to money.

I don’t think that raising the funds is relevant, unless you intend to license the material and release it yourself and you’d certainly need a lot of money for that.

>I of course was not seriously saying we should,

I didn’t think so either, as I said.

>but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't jump in on something like that if it were to come about.

It’s a good idea in principle.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I don't think i ever thought this box set would materialise, atleast not in the time-frame that they initially suggested. I live in hope that someone somewhere is spending many hours painstakingly going through all the master tapes and remastering all the albums (all the straight and WB ones anyway)

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Excuse my ignorance here, are we talking about that 'Warner Bros 16 CD box set' of remastered stuff?? Yeah, shame that hasn't happened. Excuse my ignorance once again, but can someone remind me what HAS actually been remastered and how to obtain it please?

Going back to the box set; we thought it was so imminent that had an official competition (prompted by Renfield) for the name of the package once here didn't we???

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:49 pm

>Going back to the box set; we thought it was so imminent that had an official competition (prompted by Renfield) for the name of the package once here didn't we???

I think that was on a different forum.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:06 pm

>Excuse my ignorance here, are we talking about that 'Warner Bros 16 CD box set' of remastered stuff??

Yes.

> but can someone remind me what HAS actually been remastered

"Billion Dollar Babies" and "Welcome To My Nightmare".

>and how to obtain it please?

Try the link to Amazon at:
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks.
Don't think it was actually, I'm going back 4/5 years and I'm pretty sure Renfield requested this through sickthingsuk!? :/

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 am

It's a shame really that the back catalogue hasn't been treated better. All it would take really is some guidence and proper leadership to set this ship right and for whatever reasons Alice/Shep/Toby or whoever else is in charge, is unwilling to do the job right.

The Good:
Billion Dollar Babies Deluxe Edition
Billion Dollar Babies DVD Audio
Welcome to My Nightmare DVD Audio
Welcome to My Nightmarer remastered with extra tracks
Impending Audio Fidelity release of School's Out and eventually Killer
DVD Releases of WTMN, GTSYAAC and TNR
50% of The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper

The Bad:
No Mega-box set
No re-mastering of individual titles with bonus material (excluding B$B and WTMN)
No DVD of TSCOAC (that could easily include Anaheim '77 as a bonus)

The Ugly:
The uneventful re-release of PFY and EA by Rhino - a label usually known for releasing all kinds of great previously unissued/hard to find material (Yes, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Wild Man Fischer, The Stooges, Captain Beefheart etc.)
The endless best of type compilations that noone could possibly interested in
50% of The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper

I met Alice in 1994 and asked him about a box set, he said "We're working on it - should be out by Halloween" Well we all know how long that took - April of '99 - close Al, but not quite.

I suspect we'll wait even longer (forever?) for any comprehensive Box Set. I also stated something to this affect way back, when rumours of a mega box set were being discussed here. The Alice camp occasionally deliver the goods but never in a timely fashion.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 am

Gunner wrote:
Don't think it was actually, I'm going back 4/5 years and I'm pretty sure Renfield requested this through sickthingsuk!? :/
Andy is right, it was on a different forum. Names for the (original) box set were suggested to Renfield back in the 90s on the original Sickthings list, not SickthingsUK. (It was for the original box set which was released nearly 10 years ago.)

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:42 am

Toronto Bob wrote:It's a shame really that the back catalogue hasn't been treated better. All it would take really is some guidence and proper leadership to set this ship right and for whatever reasons Alice/Shep/Toby or whoever else is in charge, is unwilling to do the job right.

I met Alice in 1994 and asked him about a box set, he said "We're working on it - should be out by Halloween" Well we all know how long that took - April of '99 - close Al, but not quite.

I suspect we'll wait even longer (forever?) for any comprehensive Box Set. I also stated something to this affect way back, when rumours of a mega box set were being discussed here. The Alice camp occasionally deliver the goods but never in a timely fashion.
I'm not an expert on what goes on with this stuff, but I don't think the fault lies with the Alice camp as has been suggested. There are other parties involved like the record companies, for instance. For example, it was not due to the Alice camp that the original box set was so delayed. I seem to recall that some of the delay was due to having to get the rights to all the songs from Alice's various record companies in order to have such a comprehensive box set.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 am

glamprincess wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:It's a shame really that the back catalogue hasn't been treated better. All it would take really is some guidence and proper leadership to set this ship right and for whatever reasons Alice/Shep/Toby or whoever else is in charge, is unwilling to do the job right.

I'm not an expert on what goes on with this stuff, but I don't think the fault lies with the Alice camp as has been suggested. There are other parties involved like the record companies, for instance. For example, it was not due to the Alice camp that the original box set was so delayed. I seem to recall that some of the delay was due to having to get the rights to all the songs from Alice's various record companies in order to have such a comprehensive box set.
I'm no expert either but if Alice and Alice's personal management have such little control over the Alice Cooper back catalogue, that still is their fault. I'm not sure what control we're talking about here. It would appear that Alice has control enough to release live albums such as Montreux and Brutally Live that contain all sorts of old songs. Control enough for GTSYAAC and the deluxe B$B album to be released, so I'm not convinced that it's a "record company" thing. That's always an easy out. As far as commercial potential goes, my guess would be a deluxe version of LITD, KILLER, MoL, SO, would outsell any new project, so the hold up must be something else. Something that noone really can know (except Alice himself and Shep) and hasn't been mentioned yet.