Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Elected used in new TV Ad

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Walkers Crisps are using it, great ad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2 ... -crisps-ad
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Elected used in new TV Ad

Post by Dannorama » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:56 pm

First let me say "great find!" I love it when people throw Alice into the mix.

Now, let me put on my Simon Cowbell hat.

Personally, I think that ad is a mess.

Rule 1: never use a recognizable number merely as a "bed." I found myself listening to the song, and completely missing the message. If nothing else, they should have mixed out Alice's vocal until they came to the "Elected" chorus. With all the people shouting, the announcer reading, and Alice singing verses, the ears are way too busy for easy absorption. Plus, speaking of "busy," the imagery was confusing as hell!

Otherwise, great job...
;)
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Hehe, i love it
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 am

Grocery store rumbles are the best! :laugh:

Thanks steven_crayn.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:27 am

Always nice to see Alice's music....but I agree that its too busy. I found myself looking for a sale on potatoes.
Nice find .....Thanks !
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:47 am

Anyone have an idea how much an artist gets paid when they use a song in an ad? I heard that Bob Seeger got over a million for " Like A Rock " being used by Chevy. I doubt Walkers have Chevy money but it's nice to see Dennis/Neal/Mike and Glen's estate getting a cheque.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:52 am

May depend on the deal and some factors involved within it.
Me = Winning

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 am

Dannorama wrote:
First let me say "great find!" I love it when people throw Alice into the mix.

Now, let me put on my Simon Cowbell hat.

Personally, I think that ad is a mess.

Rule 1: never use a recognizable number merely as a "bed." I found myself listening to the song, and completely missing the message. If nothing else, they should have mixed out Alice's vocal until they came to the "Elected" chorus. With all the people shouting, the announcer reading, and Alice singing verses, the ears are way too busy for easy absorption. Plus, speaking of "busy," the imagery was confusing as hell!

Otherwise, great job...
;)

Stop bloody moaning Dan, we like our adverts `messy`
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:33 am

Baz wrote: Stop bloody moaning Dan, we like our adverts `messy`
Sorry Baz. Sorry everyone! I get compulsive when I see stuff like that. It's just like the improper use of our elegant language. I have to correct it!!

Must... Correct!
Must... Correct!
Must... Correct!

Okay, I'm better now.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:34 am

Great add!!

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:17 am

Superb Ad!

I think 'Elected' is only a distraction from the visual cause we are all fans. I doubt your average person would notice it?!

And I agree with Baz-turd - us Brits like 'messy' and 'chaos' :clap:
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:18 pm

I think 'Elected' is only a distraction from the visual cause we are all fans. I doubt your average person would notice it?!
I agree. However, when there is a break in the 'narrative' later on and you hear Alice yelling 'Elected' (in that spine shivering gritty snarl of his - that sounded so better in the 'drunken' early 70'!), 'Joe Public' must, once again, sub-consciously think of the timeless legend that has now 'outlived' most of his illegitimate offspring...........like that excuse for a 'shock rock' band..KISS for example.

You know, Alice has worked hard in the last 10 years to promote Alice Cooper and he is really once again 'a household name' to the point now where he is used to promote many things that he would not have been. If he had retired in the mid 90's say (or even the mid 80's when he could have done), he would be very much forgotten and only really remembered by the likes of us here!!

From the Inside
Trash
Trash

Post by From the Inside » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 pm

The ad is good but the music just isn't LOUD enough :rock:

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 pm

From the Inside wrote:The ad is good but the music just isn't LOUD enough :rock:
i agree as followers of the snake eyed one we can pick out the first few bars of the song in an instant but it just seems like light background music and hard to make out to the unanitiated ear.
still any alice on the telly is good.
i'm guilty an i think i've been framed anyway

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:09 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Anyone have an idea how much an artist gets paid when they use a song in an ad? I heard that Bob Seeger got over a million for " Like A Rock " being used by Chevy. I doubt Walkers have Chevy money but it's nice to see Dennis/Neal/Mike and Glen's estate getting a cheque.
Walkers Ad agency would pay to licence the song from the owner, now I know from experience Ad agencies will pay around £30,000 for an unsigned artist so for someone like Alice Cooper you can multiply that.

Also every time the song is used on TV the songwriter will get royalties which I can tell you amounts to thousands of pounds.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm

>Also every time the song is used on TV the songwriter will get royalties which I can tell you amounts to thousands of pounds.

I think (generally) that the advertising agency will know in advance how many times the advertisement is going to be used (because they're the ones buying the advertising space), so that might already be included in the fee that is paid. However, if the advertisment is shown for longer than planned (if it's a very successful campaign) then, yes, I can see further royalties being paid.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:51 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Anyone have an idea how much an artist gets paid when they use a song in an ad? I heard that Bob Seeger got over a million for " Like A Rock " being used by Chevy. I doubt Walkers have Chevy money but it's nice to see Dennis/Neal/Mike and Glen's estate getting a cheque.
Walkers Ad agency would pay to licence the song from the owner, now I know from experience Ad agencies will pay around £30,000 for an unsigned artist so for someone like Alice Cooper you can multiply that.

Also every time the song is used on TV the songwriter will get royalties which I can tell you amounts to thousands of pounds.

Thanks for that. The boys are getting close to retirement age so I'm sure they are happy with the money coming in from commercials. " School's Out ', " Elected " hmmnn " No More Mr Nice Guy " next. :rock: