Pass the Gun Around!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Pass the Gun Around!

Post by Luney Tune » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Pass the Gun around is a really great song, maybe the best on DADA. DADA ia a strange, but also a very good album, always liked it.. Not your typical Alice album though.
It`s all in this luney tune....

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Pass the gun around is one of his best closing songs. It is a really climatic ending to my favourite Alice Cooper album. Other great endings include Inmates, Cleansed by fire, Killer, Grande Finale, Roses on white lace, Wind-up toy, I am the spider and My God.

I don't think Alice has done anything even close this unique and weird after DaDa. When I think of his 70's albums I notice they were more unique and weird. There surely were more twists and unexpected moments then. I am not saying Alice is as unique as Frank Zappa or Pink Floyd. But I don't remember myself hearing some other band and thinking ''Oh this song is a total Dead babies rip off!'' or ''This certainly sounds a lot like Steven and Ballad of Dwight fry'' A lot of his weirdness has disappeared during the years but I still think Alice is more unique than Mötley Crue or many newer bands.

Alice has always had his own black sense of humour and approach. Don't get me wrong I like his albums of this decade, but even though ACAS was catchy, energetic and entertaining I found the story to be incredibly cliche compared to DaDa or Goes to hell for example.

But Alice you will always be my hero! :8):

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:28 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:Pass the gun around is one of his best closing songs. It is a really climatic ending to my favourite Alice Cooper album. Other great endings include Inmates, Cleansed by fire, Killer, Grande Finale, Roses on white lace, Wind-up toy, I am the spider and My God.

I don't think Alice has done anything even close this unique and weird after DaDa. When I think of his 70's albums I notice they were more unique and weird. There surely were more twists and unexpected moments then. I am not saying Alice is as unique as Frank Zappa or Pink Floyd. But I don't remember myself hearing some other band and thinking ''Oh this song is a total Dead babies rip off!'' or ''This certainly sounds a lot like Steven and Ballad of Dwight fry'' A lot of his weirdness has disappeared during the years but I still think Alice is more unique than Mötley Crue or many newer bands.

Alice has always had his own black sense of humour and approach. Don't get me wrong I like his albums of this decade, but even though ACAS was catchy, energetic and entertaining I found the story to be incredibly cliche compared to DaDa or Goes to hell for example.
I agree very much with this post. Many of his album closers are terrific, and Alice from 1969-1983 had mostly interesting and unpredictable albums. His turn to corporate rock is a bit banal by comparison. Post Dada has yielded a couple of very good records (RYFAY, TLT) but alot of formulaic corporate rock. ACAS is a step in the right direction, hopefully his next album will be even better.

And I agree that Pass the gun around is a cool tune that gives us a glimpse into "Sonny's" soul.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Not your typical Alice album though.
There is no such thing as a 'typical' Alice album, but actually, I would have to say that Dada is VERY Cooperesque and not strange for Alice at all. How is it very different to WTMN, Lace & Whisky, From the Inside and Goes to Hell? Other than it has a slight synthesizer feel to it?

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 am

Gunner wrote:
Not your typical Alice album though.
There is no such thing as a 'typical' Alice album, but actually, I would have to say that Dada is VERY Cooperesque and not strange for Alice at all. How is it very different to WTMN, Lace & Whisky, From the Inside and Goes to Hell? Other than it has a slight synthesizer feel to it?

I agree there is nt many typical cooper albums , they all have there own twists and turns . I guess you could call a few albums similar style wise or extentions of the same theme brutal planet/dragonTown , Flush the fashion /Special Forces

Ill go along with TorontoBob and say Da Da does stand out to me as focused unusual, experimental and unique . A lot of the albums since Da Da to me lack true depth , almost like the coop was scared to venture into Unknown territory ( following trends ? , centered on making money ? ) There are still lots of quality, meaningful songs but to me many seem over polished , written by studio musicians , lack that cooperism zing something along those line anyway .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Da Da does stand out to me as focused unusual, experimental and unique . A lot of the albums since Da Da to me lack true depth , almost like the coop was scared to venture into Unknown territory ( following trends ? , centered on making money ? ) There are still lots of quality, meaningful songs but to me many seem over polished , written by studio musicians , lack that cooperism zing something along those line anyway .
ABSOLUTELY CRISS!!!!! The heavy metal, hair rock albums and even TLT and beyond ALL try to sit in with current trends to an extent. It's as though Alice want to try and play it safe if you like. The same with the stage show. I often tell people how original Alice was and really it's hard to convince them on the evidence of his work from 1986 onwards!!!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 pm

>>It's as though Alice want to try and play it safe if you like. The same with the stage show.

I'm quoting myself here, but unfortuantely I HAVE to say that being 'anethesized' in some way aids Cooper creativity. Let's face it, that's how it started - Alice was born out of a beer bottle!????

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 pm

I hope you are not suggesting that Alice should have one final binge.

I guess it must be extraordinarily difficult to remain original, unique and cutting edge creative after pretty much 40 years. Would have liked ACAS to have been more of a group effort to try and harness the potentially different slants on the Cooper theme from what had evolved into a tight band.

Is Alice giving us what he thinks we want or what he wants?

Swerving effortlesly back to the 'last song' chat. We have had some classics ... I Love The Dead, My God, Going Home ... we should start a poll

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 am

I guess it must be extraordinarily difficult to remain original, unique and cutting edge creative after pretty much 40 years.
Yeah, but the originality ended at Welcome To My Nightmare!!! 7 years or so!
I Would have liked ACAS to have been more of a group effort to try and harness the potentially different slants on the Cooper theme from what had evolved into a tight band.
I would have liked ACAS to be an album I wanted to play more than once!!!!
Is Alice giving us what he thinks we want or what he wants?
A bit of both maybe?

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:33 pm

ABSOLUTELY CRISS!!!!! The heavy metal, hair rock albums and even TLT and beyond ALL try to sit in with current trends to an extent. It's as though Alice want to try and play it safe if you like. The same with the stage show. I often tell people how original Alice was and really it's hard to convince them on the evidence of his work from 1986 onwards!!![/quote]

The hair metal albums sound very dated these days , but i thought they where great back in the day . And i guess sale wise they where a obvious move at the time . Dick wagner said the coop is at his best leading not following trends too .

Alice was born out of a beer bottle!????

A beer bottle or 4 or so the story goes

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Gunner, come on that's unfair. Even I, a dyed in the wool ACG stalwart, have listend to ACAS more than once.

WTMN, a peak for me, should have been followed by more ACG efforts but that never happened and it's a shame although that need not necessarily have resulted in continued guaranteed success. I like to think that the succes of WTMN would have further galvanised the rest of the gang to climb greater heights although I have to accept that perhaps the group had come to a natural end anyway. Alice has tried to surround himself with creative people trying to harness his ideas but it is not the same as a group and people do move on.

Regarding originality, 5 brains are better than 1 in most cases.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Regarding originality, 5 brains are better than 1 in most cases.

And a case of beer

smanomega
Killer
Killer

Post by smanomega » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:40 am

I bet no one says NO to Alice these days and thats sad, because it's never been the same since. The original group was fresh for it's time but by 78' Alice was done with any solo originality.He started fading as early as76' go goes to hell had great tracks and a variety but wasn't anything new besides from bongos ,chinese gongs and "sandancers" 77' dissmal music But i bet he wanted it that way or at the very least let it be that way. anyways I wonder "how much" creative output/input is alowed into the Alice cooper machine we now know..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 am

>I wonder "how much" creative output/input is alowed into the Alice cooper machine we now know..

Try reading some of the information at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/interviews/index.php