Pass the Gun Around!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Pass the Gun Around!

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm

I've listened to DaDa probably 50 times, and somehow I've always managed to tune out the wonderful guitar solo in the middle. I just listened to the album and was blown away when that solo hit. I feel like I've never heard it before. WTF is wrong me? How could I have missed that? It is fantastic. Such a great album too. It truly is one of my favorites of Alice's solo years.

criss
Killer
Killer

Re: Pass the Gun Around!

Post by criss » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:54 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:I've listened to DaDa probably 50 times, and somehow I've always managed to tune out the wonderful guitar solo in the middle. I just listened to the album and was blown away when that solo hit. I feel like I've never heard it before. WTF is wrong me? How could I have missed that? It is fantastic. Such a great album too. It truly is one of my favorites of Alice's solo years.
I gotta agree its a fantastic album , up there with the great Coop albums . Pass the gun around is a epic tune and the solo is an amazing bit of guitar work . Its a shame nothing from this album was done live as there are many highlights to be had .

Funny you mention pass the gun around Steve Crayn recently worked the entire song out ( Thanx Steve , great job ) and im almost thru tabbing the solo .

Da Da the trak is a weird bit of cooperism , but sets the scene for the twisted ride that is da da the album . The album is well worth a listen if some fans out there have nt heard it .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:53 pm

I think it is my favourite Cooper album actually, the only thing wrong with it is the fact that it needs real drums and just generally beefing up a bit in the mix. Also, Alice doesn't sound that well on it either, he sounds 'weak'!??

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I totally agree. Fantastic album just slightly let down by the 80s vibe on the production which has prematurely aged it somewhat.

What a great theme though, still love that album,

and yeah, that solo on the Pass The Gun Around is a proper hair raiser! Love it!

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Pass The Gun Around still manages to lull me into a false sense of security on the fade out at the end so that I jump out of my skin on the gunshot! :clap:
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Pass The Gun Around has fantastic guitar work in it - an emotional solo with a sense of urgency to it. One of my faves on Dada next to Former Lee Warmer.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 pm

I was reading on a site a while back that the drums on Da Da were enhanced by a drummer named Richard kolinka . I to always thought that all the drums where from the fairlight . Im now a bit stumped anyone have any thoughts

Richard Kolinka - Drums on Former Lee Warmer, Scarlet and Sheba , Pass the gun around
John Anderson - Drums on Fresh blood
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:38 pm

It is an interesting debate. I have always thought that the drums lacked any urgency, energy or drive on Dada and have an old fashioned feel .... even when it came out. Just asumed it was due to the programming.

I agree Pass the Gun Around is a highlight track with some excellent guitar work.

Gunners observations mirror mine in so far as, cracking album as it is, it could have been better with a better mix. Appreciate that Alice was not exactly in tip top shape and the lack of energy shows.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:53 pm

>I was reading on a site a while back that the drums on Da Da were enhanced by a drummer named Richard kolinka . I to always thought that all the drums where from the fairlight . Im now a bit stumped anyone have any thoughts

If you read the back of the album cover, it is clearly explained.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 pm

Railwayman wrote:It is an interesting debate. I have always thought that the drums lacked any urgency, energy or drive on Dada and have an old fashioned feel .... even when it came out. Just asumed it was due to the programming.

I agree Pass the Gun Around is a highlight track with some excellent guitar work.

Gunners observations mirror mine in so far as, cracking album as it is, it could have been better with a better mix. Appreciate that Alice was not exactly in tip top shape and the lack of energy shows.
Regarding the drums, yeah, they lack the usual flair compared to other Coop recordings, but I've always considered Dada to be more "orchestra" than usual five-piece band (to me anyway). Certain songs on Dada have an "epic" application (like Might As Well Be On Mars has if I had to compare them to something) where they're really bold and cascading.

And I like how Dada's mixed. :grin:

It has a multi-layered feel and care to it without being too honey-coated. I think this is the reason why Dada works for me.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 pm

You know, I wonder if I had realised about Richard Kolinka. I guess if I have read it once I had forgotten about it.

He was with the band "Téléphone" which was really huge when I was in my teens. I wasn't such a big fan but all my schoolmates would talk about them all the time. They were sort of the French Stones if you like.

Now I want to listen to Dada again. It's also one of my all time faves.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like Dada. It is one of the albums I listen to more than some other others. I just think it could have been even better with the talent involved. Songs like No Mans Land, Scarlet and Sheba and Fresh Blood, good songs that they are, lack some kind of intensity/energy they may have seen in earlier Coop. It's like he is on cruise control or something.

No doubting that Former Lee Warmer and that line ...'Candle lit puddles...' is pure classic Coop, one of thee great lines.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:00 pm

[quote="Railwayman"]Don't get me wrong, I like Dada. It is one of the albums I listen to more than some other others. I just think it could have been even better with the talent involved. Songs like No Mans Land, Scarlet and Sheba and Fresh Blood, good songs that they are, lack some kind of intensity/energy they may have seen in earlier Coop. It's like he is on cruise control or something.

Agreed. I think Dada is lyrically brilliant but stale in production. Maybe that was the production style he was after at the time, but I think if there were less hired guns on it and more real band members, it would have gone in a harder and more energenitic direction. Would have loved to see how this would have turned out with the likes of Ryan Roxie or Kerri Kelly in the mix.

smanomega
Killer
Killer

Post by smanomega » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 pm

The Solo on Pass the gun around is AWSOME unfortunatly it's SO "Borrowed" from David Gilmour that it hurts IMHO but thats OK cause DAVID is a guitar god. Maybe it was EZRIN'S doing who knows... Great song though real great ending as for the record... It's great in spots (DADA,PASS, FORMERLEE) AND it's horrible in spots ( DYSLEXIA,- the whole ba ba ba ba bum keyboard thing kills this song FRESH BLOOD, the lyrics are fine the presentation is awful NO MANS LAND)

Atlanta Santa
Trash
Trash

Post by Atlanta Santa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 pm

That was actually the first (and only) song I liked from DADA for a long time!

Like many others I had my problems with that record at first. Especially when I listened to it at the age of 13 or so. Because I only knew a few Alice records and it was a big step from albums like TRASH to the experimental synthesizer sound of DADA. Today it is one of my favorites.

By the way: I think it would be interesting to hear the songs in question from DADA and the complete CONSTRICTOR album rerecorded with real drums...
:rock:
I got a job in atlanta in a mall playing santa

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:14 pm

criss wrote:
TeresofBlood wrote:I've listened to DaDa probably 50 times, and somehow I've always managed to tune out the wonderful guitar solo in the middle. I just listened to the album and was blown away when that solo hit. I feel like I've never heard it before. WTF is wrong me? How could I have missed that? It is fantastic. Such a great album too. It truly is one of my favorites of Alice's solo years.
I gotta agree its a fantastic album , up there with the great Coop albums . Pass the gun around is a epic tune and the solo is an amazing bit of guitar work . Its a shame nothing from this album was done live as there are many highlights to be had .

Funny you mention pass the gun around Steve Crayn recently worked the entire song out ( Thanx Steve , great job ) and im almost thru tabbing the solo .

Da Da the trak is a weird bit of cooperism , but sets the scene for the twisted ride that is da da the album . The album is well worth a listen if some fans out there have nt heard it .
I've just emailed Si with the chords to the song so it should be up on the site soon, in the meantime i have also uploaded it here

Pass The Gun Around (chords)
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 pm

The drums on DaDa are mainly (and quite clearly) programs embellished with live drums in parts. I think the drum machine almost spoils 'Enough's Enough' with that mechanical feel - especially with the fills. That aside, it's a pure Cooperques theme and one of his very great works.

smanomega
Killer
Killer

Post by smanomega » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:13 am

yes too true of ALL his "dark era" or "Blackout period" albums BUT Especially this one .Enoughs enoughs a GREAT song but the drums kill it if not for the lyrical content of the song it would be unlistenable to a rack fan like myself.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm going to have to put Dada back in. While I know that it's not all live drums, I never thought about that being a problem. So, it still won't be for me! But...I'll have to give it another spin this week. I guess I just thought the drums fit into the overall feel of the album. :alice:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:20 pm

While I know that it's not all live drums, I never thought about that being a problem.
It isn't if it's got an '80's new wave' vibe going on, but DaDa didn't really, it was just essentially good ol' hard rock with farty bon tempi drum machine going on.