Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

likeamonster
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Rock&Roll Hall Of Fame

Post by likeamonster » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:47 am

Hey! What do think about it?
Kiss isn't in there and Alice Cooper isn't in there too. But they put Madonna and Michael Jackson in the ROCK&ROLL Hall Of Fame! :x ::((: :nono:

It is unfair because the music of Madonna and Michael Jackson (of course they are famous and of course they are great artists,too) isn't Rock&Roll.
BUT: If I see those bands which are in the "hall" I think Alice Cooper and Kiss are too great for it.....
:alice: He's back :alice:
The man behind the mask
And he's out of control

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Rock&Roll Hall Of Fame

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:12 pm

Welcome to the board, Likeamonster.

This subject has been thoroughly discussed many times over. And not just by us SickThings! If you copy and paste these words...

rock and roll hall of fame alice cooper

...into your favorite search engine, you will find countless articles, blogs, and websites dedicated to this subject.

My feeling is that the RRHOF inductees are selected by a board of music snobs and critics. They like to excercise their highbrow intellect by naming some obscure, and likely less influential, artists as opposed to more popular and deserving ones.

AND, for my money, Alice should be the first one inducted. Hall of FAME?? His accomplishments are numerous. His influence has been felt by the entire world of rock music - including KISS. His a household name to this day. You don't hear Woody Allen dropping KISS' name like he did here in "Annie Hall...."
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Raketnet/ ... Cooper.mp3

The Hall of Fame has little meaning until they start living up to their own name. Rowwrrrr.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 pm

I was just thinking the other day that we needed another RRHOF thread... ;)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 am

Are we talking about the "Hall Of SHAME" ::((:
I believe there is a display devoted to Alice...I have never been there.
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:13 am

Alice himself likes to joke of how it would be a disgrace to be inducted. He doesn't care much about the subject I'd say.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:31 pm

It baffles almost everyone. Alice Cooper was the first glam band, the first to really project theatre in rock and the first to change song subject matter into much darker themes. Cooper was the first to do promo video and a video album. Alice himself was the first to have deliberatley 'rattled' hair, ripped jeans and safety pins. In total then; Cooper added a whole new dimension to rock and roll which has influenced COUNTLESS people. IF THAT IS NOT STRONG CRITERIA FOR INDUCTION INTO A ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME, then the RRHOF is an utter joke!!!!!

P.S Cooper's comment of being 'over qualified' was a suitable mickey take of it!!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:42 pm

>I believe there is a display devoted to Alice

That's the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Museum which is different to The Hall Of Fame.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Of course Coop belongs for many reasons, but spawning Kiss is not one of them.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Dannorama wrote:Welcome to the board, Likeamonster.
This subject has been thoroughly discussed many times over. And not just by us SickThings! If you copy and paste these words...
rock and roll hall of fame alice cooper
...into your favorite search engine, you will find countless articles, blogs, and websites dedicated to this subject.
My feeling is that the RRHOF inductees are selected by a board of music snobs and critics. They like to excercise their highbrow intellect by naming some obscure, and likely less influential, artists as opposed to more popular and deserving ones.
AND, for my money, Alice should be the first one inducted. Hall of FAME?? His accomplishments are numerous. His influence has been felt by the entire world of rock music - including KISS. His a household name to this day. You don't hear Woody Allen dropping KISS' name like he did here in "Annie Hall...."
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Raketnet/ ... Cooper.mp3
The Hall of Fame has little meaning until they start living up to their own name. Rowwrrrr.
Well said Danno. This topic has been discussed numerous times. There's no question that Alice Cooper should have been nominated and inducted many many years ago. His name almost always comes up when there are public polls about "who should be in but isn't?" and he has even been the biggest vote-getter at times. There's also been anonymous members who have revealed that other members of the nominating committee are sometimes letting personal "reasons" influence their votes. Sad but true.....

There once was a rock n' roll hall of fame
Which should have been renamed the hall of shame
Because it was so unnerving
The way they would ignore the more deserving
Proving that they are all so LAME!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks, Glam...

Glad you agree. And that was an excellent limerick! Reminds me of this one...

There once was a lady from Kent
Whose nose was terribly bent.
One day she chose
to follow her nose,
and nobody knows where she went!

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 am

I found 8 search results in the Museum for Alice Cooper.
http://www.rockhall.com/search/results/ ... 5cfe4889e/
But he is just too COOL to be there. :rotfl:
Thanks for your help A_MichaelUK.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:31 am

The Hall of Shame, for the most part, seems to have a problem with glam and hard rock bands (which Alice during various times in his career could be considered either one of those). They were correct to put AC/DC and Black Sabbath in and this year Metallica, though there are other hard rock bands that should have went into the Hall before Metallica. Alice definitely belongs, as well as Bowie, Nugent, Iggy and the Stooges and you could even make an argument for Motorhead. I will be the first to admit artists like Madonna have made strong musicial impacts but the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to honor rock music, instead they disgrace.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:46 am

Dannorama wrote:Thanks, Glam...
Glad you agree. And that was an excellent limerick! Reminds me of this one...
There once was a lady from Kent
Whose nose was terribly bent.
One day she chose
to follow her nose,
and nobody knows where she went!
:rotfl: :rotfl:
And thanks, Danno!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 am

cooperrocks wrote:The Hall of Shame, for the most part, seems to have a problem with glam and hard rock bands (which Alice during various times in his career could be considered either one of those). They were correct to put AC/DC and Black Sabbath in and this year Metallica, though there are other hard rock bands that should have went into the Hall before Metallica. Alice definitely belongs, as well as Bowie, Nugent, Iggy and the Stooges and you could even make an argument for Motorhead. I will be the first to admit artists like Madonna have made strong musicial impacts but the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to honor rock music, instead they disgrace.
For the record, David Bowie did get inducted into the Hall of Fame many many years ago, I think around 1993. I do think David Bowie was deserving but he was not more deserving than Alice Cooper. Bowie, on the other hand, though is much more a part of the rock establishment and I believe he is friendly with Jann Wenner.

And while it's good that bands like AC/DC and Metallica have gotten in, it makes absolutely no sense for either of these bands to get in before Alice Cooper when Alice Cooper started long before them, in the late 60s. It's especially ridiculous that Metallica has gotten in before Alice when you consider that Metallica got started about 15 years AFTER Alice Cooper!

alienspice
Killer
Killer

Post by alienspice » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:49 am

The Museum actually has a bunch of Alice stuff...the leopard boots, a bowler hat, a guillotine, and I think even an electric chair, though it hasn't been on display the last few times I've gone.
Alice himself is everywhere in all the video montages and interview clips. The museum certainly reflects the sense that Alice Cooper is a huge part of rock and roll history.
The hall of fame aspect is really a huge joke, I think. Better that they don't induct him now that it's been so long he's been snubbed.
you look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:45 pm

give the kid a break.induct him.

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:30 pm

When ...or IF they do induct him, It will be the biggest CELEBRATION they have ever had. :alice:

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Just one more quick note on this subject...

Take it away, Ozzy!

In a 1999 letter to the Hall of Fame, Ozzy famously told the institution to "Just take our name off the list. Save the ink. Forget about us. The nomination is meaningless, because it's not voted on by the fans. It's voted on by the supposed elite for the industry and the media, who've never bought an album or concert ticket in their lives, so their vote is irrelevant to me." He added, "Let's face it, Black Sabbath has never been media darlings. We're a people's band and that suits us just fine."

I am happy to see that someone else feels the way I do about the shambolic induction process.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:10 am

I've said it before... I like the fact that Alice has been rejected for the HOF year after year. Makes him more appealing as an outsider (to me anyway).
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:23 am

THATS IT SHOEY ! :clap:
And just like Glamprincess said....Outrageous ! :clap:
As in this picture.....He is just too cool.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm88 ... 249f-1.jpg