Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice on the OGWT

Post by glamprincess » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote:
glamprincess wrote: That's funny because I'm another big Alice fan who was originally a big David Cassidy fan. Why we switched from David Cassidy....to Alice Cooper....is a mystery in itself!
Ha ha ha! Thats really funny. I was also a big DC fan. Saturday afternoons watching the 'Partridge Family' was definately the highlight of the weekend!

I seem to remember being 14 and then 16 when I first saw Alice. I think in that two year gap DC faded from the scene? Either that or his 'pretty boy' looks couldn't hold a candle to the smouldering Alice!

What'd ya think gals?
I definitely agree with you HB. And as I said in my previous post, Alice was just so much cooler.
I think it's funny, HB, that you are also a member of the "I switched from David Cassidy to Alice Cooper" fan club!
What's really hilarious is that my mom didn't like my David Cassidy fixation that much because she thought, get this.....that David Cassidy's hair was too long!!! So imagine how thrilled she was when she found out I switched from David Cassidy to....Alice Cooper!!!! Ha ha ha ha.

miss.bliss
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by miss.bliss » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Strangely enough I have never thought AC particularly sexy (shock horror ....I will probably be totally slated for that comment!) At a certain point as a kid you wake up to the world around you and the Partridge Family songs become meaningless and the lyrics of an AC song seem far more relevant(Schools Out at the time) Also my mum approved of DC and I suppose in some vague attempt at rebellion I decided to adore his complete antithesis whilst she carried on humming along to 'could it be forever' whilst loading the washing machine and making pastry.
I'm so scared your little head will come of in my hands

blackwidow2008
Trash
Trash

Post by blackwidow2008 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Gunner wrote:This does prompt a question of a psychological and somewhat philosphical nature:

Why do women prioritise physical appeal as criteria for enjoying the work of a particular musical artist and men do not at all?
Don't you find men do the same thing? - and to an even greater extent!

daytripper
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:53 pm

It's true...girls can become famous just by shaking their arse. :smack:

No need to do this :rock:
No need to be a great singer.
Dont have to write anything. Just look good doing it. :devil:
* for being a brat, refusing to act your age*
* http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63 *

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 am

glamprincess wrote:
I definitely agree with you HB. And as I said in my previous post, Alice was just so much cooler.
I think it's funny, HB, that you are also a member of the "I switched from David Cassidy to Alice Cooper" fan club!
What's really hilarious is that my mom didn't like my David Cassidy fixation that much because she thought, get this.....that David Cassidy's hair was too long!!! So imagine how thrilled she was when she found out I switched from David Cassidy to....Alice Cooper!!!! Ha ha ha ha.
Those were the days! I can't remember my mother having any sort of opinion on DC, but I CLEARLY remember her reactions to Alice! They were not good!

I am also sure that I missed the said interview that has been the topic of this thread. I was sixteen, and knelt right in front of the tv with the sound as low as it would go. I was willing Alice to hurry up and come on, when my mother stormed downstairs and switched the tv off. I was furious.
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote: Those were the days! I can't remember my mother having any sort of opinion on DC, but I CLEARLY remember her reactions to Alice! They were not good!

I am also sure that I missed the said interview that has been the topic of this thread. I was sixteen, and knelt right in front of the tv with the sound as low as it would go. I was willing Alice to hurry up and come on, when my mother stormed downstairs and switched the tv off. I was furious.
That's a bummer, that your mom didn't let you watch the Alice interview on television. I would have been so upset if my mom would have done that.

And speaking of the good ol' days HB, do you remember how people thought Alice Cooper was gay or bisexual back in those days? My dad was uncomfortable with Alice at first, because he was convinced that Alice had to be gay. Like a lot of people back then, my dad could not believe that a man would have a woman's name, long hair and wear makeup if he was actually straight. But my dad was accepting of my Alice fandom once he discovered that Alice was actually hetero. My mom, on the other hand, was still not crazy about Alice and couldn't imagine why her sweet little girl had become such a fan of this mascara'd man with a woman's name......

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:48 pm

glamprincess wrote:
And speaking of the good ol' days HB, do you remember how people thought Alice Cooper was gay or bisexual back in those days? My dad was uncomfortable with Alice at first, because he was convinced that Alice had to be gay. Like a lot of people back then, my dad could not believe that a man would have a woman's name, long hair and wear makeup if he was actually straight. But my dad was accepting of my Alice fandom once he discovered that Alice was actually hetero. My mom, on the other hand, was still not crazy about Alice and couldn't imagine why her sweet little girl had become such a fan of this mascara'd man with a woman's name......
Yes Glam I do remember! Funnily enough, it never occurred to me that any of the band could be gay. In fact, I never even thought it odd him having a girls name either. It kinda all seemed perfectly normal to me and I just thought other people didn't 'get it'.

Men/boys with long hair was quite acceptable in the 70's too - it was the fashion. I always thought most men looked far more attractive with long hair!

My mother still hates Alice though, if I ever mention him she will say 'Isn't he dead yet?!' Ha ha ha.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote: Yes Glam I do remember! Funnily enough, it never occurred to me that any of the band could be gay. In fact, I never even thought it odd him having a girls name either. It kinda all seemed perfectly normal to me and I just thought other people didn't 'get it'.

Men/boys with long hair was quite acceptable in the 70's too - it was the fashion. I always thought most men looked far more attractive with long hair!

My mother still hates Alice though, if I ever mention him she will say 'Isn't he dead yet?!' Ha ha ha.
HB, I agree and I knew the Alice Cooper band weren't really gay also. I think most of the fans knew that the band weren't really gay. I should have been more clear and pointed out that it was more the parents and teachers who tended to think the band were a bunch of transvestite freaks.

HB, I also always thought most men looked far more attractive with long hair! And long hair is definitely part of the whole rock star look. In fact, I tend to think that rock stars with short hair don't look like rock stars, they look like accountants instead! It reminds me of something David Lee Roth used to say during Van Halen's heyday. He used to say that rock critics preferred Elvis Costello to Van Halen because rock critics tended to look more like Elvis Costello!

My family are all okay with Alice nowadays. They even think it's kinda funny that I'm still a fan after so many years. I guess they figured that Alice Cooper wasn't such a bad influence after all because I turned out okay...ha ha ha ha. Your mom is funny. Tell her that he's got more energy onstage than guys half his age! Ha ha ha.

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:48 am

glamprincess wrote:

HB, I agree and I knew the Alice Cooper band weren't really gay also. I think most of the fans knew that the band weren't really gay. I should have been more clear and pointed out that it was more the parents and teachers who tended to think the band were a bunch of transvestite freaks.

HB, I also always thought most men looked far more attractive with long hair! And long hair is definitely part of the whole rock star look. In fact, I tend to think that rock stars with short hair don't look like rock stars, they look like accountants instead! It reminds me of something David Lee Roth used to say during Van Halen's heyday. He used to say that rock critics preferred Elvis Costello to Van Halen because rock critics tended to look more like Elvis Costello!

My family are all okay with Alice nowadays. They even think it's kinda funny that I'm still a fan after so many years. I guess they figured that Alice Cooper wasn't such a bad influence after all because I turned out okay...ha ha ha ha. Your mom is funny. Tell her that he's got more energy onstage than guys half his age! Ha ha ha.
I understood what you meant about the whole 'gay' thing. It was the parents hang-up rather than us kids! I didn't make that clear in my reply.

The Elvis Costello/Van Halen analogy is funny too. I still to this day think that the rockers that have kept all their own hair (and still sport it long), always look the youngest, fittest and have the most modern outlook and seem to be 'up to date' with the world etc. I know there are a few exceptions, but on the whole, most of them look pretty damned good!

I always thought it was a great shame when Bruce Dickenson shed his lovely locks. Although he would probably have some of his commercial passengers fleeing for the nearest emergency exit if they saw all that waist length hair under a pilots cap!! :laugh: :rotfl:

As for my mother - well, lets not go there! :p

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:29 am

Well that certainly got the girlies talking, all you have to do is mention men's looks ;) And they call men shallow!! :p

I was 7/8 when my world was rocked by this 'thing' called Alice Cooper, very impressionable age (never recovered) I was. I definately thought that Alice could be gay and a baby killer. It scared me, but I loved the music and so followed it. I thought he was gay because in 1973 to dress in women's clothes/underwear, call yourself 'Alice' and sing 'Mary Ann i thought you were my man' was a definiate sign, it scared me to death and blew my little mind!!

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
That's not taken from a bike mag is it?? :grin: ;)

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:34 am

It's true...girls can become famous just by shaking their arse.
Not only do females (In GENERAL) place importance on the looks of the 'musician(s)' they favour, BUT, when it comes to their turn in the music business, they nearly ALWAYS use sex and glamour to sell their product. Men tend to be much less 'basic' with their image.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:39 am

I also always thought most men looked far more attractive with long hair!
Most women think so too (but don't always declare it). When asked, I've never met a women in my life that objects to long hair on a man at all. It's men that go for that stupid short hair lark - I think they think it makes them look miltary and/or hard when in fact it makes them look like they can't be arsed having hair!

blackwidow2008
Trash
Trash

Post by blackwidow2008 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Gunner wrote:Well that certainly got the girlies talking, all you have to do is mention men's looks ;) And they call men shallow!! :p
Generally we are!

moonshadow
Dada God
Dada God

Post by moonshadow » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Gunner wrote:
I also always thought most men looked far more attractive with long hair!
Most women think so too (but don't always declare it). When asked, I've never met a women in my life that objects to long hair on a man at all. It's men that go for that stupid short hair lark - I think they think it makes them look miltary and/or hard when in fact it makes them look like they can't be arsed having hair!

You're right, men with long hair, mmmmmm, yes please! :grin:
You've got to trust your dreamers heart
Nobody else will tell you when you fall apart.

miss.bliss
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by miss.bliss » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:16 am

OOOOOOOOOOH Yes!

What do you do if your man had long hair when you met him but recently cut it all off?

MS do you think we are now sounding very shallow?!?!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I am suddenly feeling very follically discriminated against. Where's my knit hat?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

miss.bliss
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by miss.bliss » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:18 pm

If your an AC fan I think having no or little hair is just fine ......its kind of locks by proxy. :x

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote: The Elvis Costello/Van Halen analogy is funny too. I still to this day think that the rockers that have kept all their own hair (and still sport it long), always look the youngest, fittest and have the most modern outlook and seem to be 'up to date' with the world etc. I know there are a few exceptions, but on the whole, most of them look pretty damned good!
I totally agree HB! :clap:

johngolby
Trash
Trash

Post by johngolby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi all - although I'm new to this forum I do like to read some of the posts every so often and just happened to see this thread started by gunner, er five years ago. If this is of any interest, I know exactly what you're referring to because I saw it, it wasn't Bob Harris interviewing Alice on the OGWT because he didn't join untill September of the same year. This interview was done around early June with the previous presenter Richard Williams who later went on to edit the Melody Maker. I don't remember the chat being more than 10 minutes with a very casual AC in a tweed jacket of all things, I stayed up that Tuesday night thinking the band were going to play a couple of numbers but it was just him on a promo visit. At the end of the interview they showed the heavily edited Miami footage that turned up on You Tube not that long ago. Talking of You Tube, a couple of years ago someone posted up Be My Lover as well as the Under My Wheels performance from the 1971 OGWT (since pulled) plus a run through of Is It My Body that I'd never seen before so it's possible the interview from the following year that you're asking about still exists although I have never seen it again. I'd missed the Rainbow concert in '71 by a hare's breath so made sure I got to the Empire Pool gig in 1972, I was 16 yrs old... Bloody Hell !