"School's Out" - Limited Edition Audio Fidelity Gold CD!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

"School's Out" - Limited Edition Audio Fidelity Go

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:44 am

Legendary mastering engineer Steve Hoffman will be remastering "School's Out" in a limited edition Gold CD for Audio Fidelity. No word on a release date at this point.

Check out his post from today at:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... p?t=164308

This is an amazing treat to have Steve do this album. He is very meticulous and goes to extraordinary lengths to get the absolute best sound possible from the original master tapes.

It doesn't get any better than this folks!

:clap:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:13 am

It will be a treat because I thought both this album and killer will very flat mastered CD’s. Isn't Steve Hoffman best know for straight digital transfers to disk with the most bare bones manipulation?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 am

Malchik wrote:It will be a treat because I thought both this album and killer will very flat mastered CD’s. Isn't Steve Hoffman best know for straight digital transfers to disk with the most bare bones manipulation?
Actually, the original Alice CDs aren't all that bad... compared to the way modern CDs are compressed to ridiculous proportions those discs hold up fairly well. But Steve will take them to another level.

Steve doesn't do anything he doesn't have to do... and he has done flat transfers when he thought that was the best course of action. One thing to remember is that 35+ year old tapes often need tweaked in order to make them truly sound like they are supposed to.

Steve works mostly in the analog domain and tweaks until he gets what he calls his "breath of life".

The guy has a following that's unparalleled in the industry.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 am

Another thing... given these are limited editions... don't wait around to order if interested whenever they become available (which I'm guessing will be in mid-2009).

Just check Ebay to see what the original DCC Gold Compact discs go for... Steve did all of those and they go for premium prices... some for insane prices.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Steve posted today that this next series of discs will be released "starting in January".

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:14 pm

Steve is often open to suggestions on special things to include.... not always doable but you never know... is there anything from the School's Out era that might be worth including.... like a single edit that is significantly different? Or an alternate cut (doubtful but worth asking)?

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:59 am

What ever is in the archive would make a great addition to the album as long as it's from the Schools Out sessions. I have a feeling it will be a straight set list album to preserve it's authenticity. At least this is how Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab handled these editions.

EDIT: Grammar.
Last edited by Malchik on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:14 am

Malchik wrote:What ever is in the archive would make a great addition to the album as long as it's from the Schools Out sessions? I have a feeling it will be a straight set list album to preserve it's authenticity. At least this is how Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab handled these editions.
Usually is... but Steve has occasionally added additional tracks so it's not out of the realm of possibility although I don't know what kinds of clearances he has to get in order to do so.

Rocketdog
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocketdog » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm

That's great news, but I wish it were Love It To Death or Killer getting that treatment instead. Out of the three, School's Out is my least favorite album.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Well, if we all buy it it increases the chances of them doing more. They are a small company so sales truly matter.

This will be the definitive release of "School's Out".

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm

SCHOOL'S OUT took longer than the others to grow on me, but I really can't say I like it less than any of the others except KILLER which is my favorite Alice Cooper album of all time.

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:SCHOOL'S OUT took longer than the others to grow on me, but I really can't say I like it less than any of the others except KILLER which is my favorite Alice Cooper album of all time.
I'll go along with that. Halo Of Flies is still my all-time favorite Alice tune.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 am

Killer is so....Killer !
It and Love It T Death are in my top 5 albums of all time.
But Schools Out will be a treat for the lucky folks who get one. :alice:
Last edited by daytripper63 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:05 am

I wonder if these remaster sessions will be used on a future box set we're all excited for.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:08 am

I would think all the remastering done on the box set project and Steve Hoffman's project have no relation.

BTW, is this an "official" release or what? Not too familiar with "Audio Fidelity." Just curious.
Me = Winning

Rocketdog
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocketdog » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:36 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Well, if we all buy it it increases the chances of them doing more. They are a small company so sales truly matter.

This will be the definitive release of "School's Out".
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll still be buying it anyway. I've already got a goodly amount of other MFSL and DCC Gold Discs, and this one needs to join that collection.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:I would think all the remastering done on the box set project and Steve Hoffman's project have no relation.
Almost certainly.
WickedYoungMan wrote:BTW, is this an "official" release or what? Not too familiar with "Audio Fidelity." Just curious.
Yes, they license the material from the label.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Mr Insincere, when you talk about 'Limited Edition' what does that mean exactly. I have never heard of this guy but like WickedYoungMan I am curious. Will we see it on Amazon for example? Will we have to queue around the block the night before to secure a purchase?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:34 am

Amazon should stock it... they are stocking their previous releases (search on "Audio Fidelity").

Other online sellers will also stock it. You can also check out their website at www.audiofidelity.net where they'll also be selling it.

You'll be able to order it probably at multiple places online...

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:53 am

Great, thanks for that, I'll keep my ears and eyes open.