beatles/Alice photo connection

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

beatles/Alice photo connection

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 am

30 mins into last nights All you Need is love tv prog..there was apicture of the beatles in white suits..holding baby dolls with separate heads..in background it said ...Beatles..Yesterday and Today...maybe an lp cover...also raw meat in picture...wonder if David Bailey had seen these shots prior to Billion Dollar Babies photo shoot...similar theme..but with a different twist..all good

Finally, when does episode 16 of all you need appear with alice?

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: beatles/Alice photo connection

Post by Maurice » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:00 am

recoop wrote:30 mins into last nights All you Need is love tv prog..there was apicture of the beatles in white suits..holding baby dolls with separate heads..in background it said ...Beatles..Yesterday and Today...maybe an lp cover...also raw meat in picture...wonder if David Bailey had seen these shots prior to Billion Dollar Babies photo shoot...similar theme..but with a different twist..
Actually Shoey (Shoesalesman) posted 'List of the Day' from a Canadian web page or some other publication a few pages back, re Controversial album covers.

It is a Beatles album cover shown here from that list;-

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/listoftheday_ ... _CqKNZys2R

The cover was more recently parodied with the cd cover for 'Butchering The Beatles'.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 am

See, I knew it! The Beatles WERE unoriginal after all.
Me = Winning

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Here's the list again from that old thread...

http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/lis ... bum-covers

That Beatles cover made #3.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 am

A truly horrible album cover in every sense, even down to the cheesy smiles on those stupid faces!!

With respect to recoop's comments, I think that cover may well have subconsciously influenced Bailey - yes!

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 am

So far, I cannot find the photographer who is credited with 'the Butcher shots' of which there are approximately 11 known to be in existence from the studio sitting.

I understand that this was The Beatles 10th Album, and was a 'compilation'.

Apparently, the idea was their (The Beatles') own, being a 'pop-art satire', and the portrayed grins are supposedly 'sadistic' (?).

The cover was 'pulled' after some 200,000 were released, and those that were printed and not released were re-covered, making the 'First State' condition of the 'original' album extremely valuable indeed.

Needless to say, it became infamous in being a 'good example of bad taste', (something which Alice Cooper latterly became synonymous with), Sir Joseph Lockwood (Chairman of EMI Worldwide) decided upon the recall following many objections from the American DJ fraternity.

The AC band were already connected with the dismembering of baby dolls on stage by the time Billion Dollar Babies came to fruition, so in some ways it seems like an obvious link, particularly in view of the kind of publicity obtained from such a studio photo session.
My God.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:19 am

You do write well M, have you considered editing the online Alice Cooper Wikipedia article?
and the portrayed grins are supposedly 'sadistic' (?).
They certainly are! One could argue that being played 'She loves you' is sadistic too!!

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Very kind of you to say, and I do love writing, but no, that particular task hadn't occurred to me, but with a love like that, you it can't be bad! :grin:
My God.

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Maurice wrote:Very kind of you to say, and I do love writing, but no, that particular task hadn't occurred to me, but with a love like that, you know it can't be bad! :grin:
Too late to edit so I have had to correct it - maybe I shouldn't have bothered? ::((:
My God.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:19 am

You need a break and you could be a PAPERBACK WRITER!! :8):

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 pm

maurice,the photographer for the butcher cover is robert whitaker!

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:32 pm

scotty wrote:maurice,the photographer for the butcher cover is robert whitaker!
Cheers scotty! Thanks for that. His name came up as a Beatles photographer, but I couldn't link him to that session.
My God.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 am

you bet buddy.my musical loves are coop and the beatles,and a dash of kiss! :love:

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Re: beatles/Alice photo connection

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:19 pm

recoop wrote:
Finally, when does episode 16 of all you need appear with alice?
As I mentioned months ago More 4 will air the episode featuring Alice rather appropriately in the late hours of Hallowe'en Friday Night/ Saturday Morning October 31st/November 1st.

Starts 12.40am and It is also repeated for 1 week on Catch Up TV via Virgin Media.

Info from All You Need Is Love Website

Episode Sixteen

Whatever Gets You Through The Night (Glitter Rock)

This Episode takes place almost entirely on stage; fans are always seen from the performer’s point of view. Thus, we begin to feel and experience first hand the pressures being put upon various individuals by the music industry. We are backstage with David Bowie as he makes himself up for a performance. We watch Alice Cooper ritualistically smashing up a doll, while the fans shriek for more and more. We are with Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull as he prepares to face a screaming crowd. We watch Eric Clapton before drugs, during drugs and after drugs. We are on stage with Keith Emerson as he hurls his electric organ as the audience...

http://www.allyouneedislovedvd.com/#16

Quite simply the best music doc series there has ever been, shame we don't get stuff of this quality made now.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV