Question about DADA

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:31 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Has Alice ever talked about what Da Da was about or was he too drunk to remember?
Dada was a cultural movement that included art and music, Salvador Dali though not the creator of Dadaism, did experiment with it. Even the cover of the Alice album was based on a Dali work.

Alice a former art student and Dali fan later became friends with him.
Dali attended his Billion Dollar Babies concert and thought it to be one of the most surreal things out there.

I was at the Dali museum in London on Saturday and was dissapointed that there was no reference to the piece of art he did featuring Alice, in the form of a 3 dimensional hologram.

However if you get the chance it is well worth visiting, the sculptures in particular such as 'Space Elephant' are fascinating and the surreal film they show including Dali playing the piano with cats heads sticking out is great.
Some of the paintings and sketches are disturbing and not to everyones taste, but even for someone like me who couldn't paint to save his life, very interesting.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:02 pm

No, as opposed to just crediting any old 'like' on an album for the sake of it. Credits relate to the production of a work and the work fits in to a time scale. Unless he has wanted to credit Basil Fawlty on numerous albums!??

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:38 pm

steven_crayn wrote: I was at the Dali museum in London on Saturday and was dissapointed that there was no reference to the piece of art he did featuring Alice, in the form of a 3 dimensional hologram.

However if you get the chance it is well worth visiting, ............................................................................................................. and the surreal film they show including Dali playing the piano with cats heads sticking out is great.
Some of the paintings and sketches are disturbing and not to everyones taste, but even for someone like me who couldn't paint to save his life, very interesting.
I agree it is worth a visit, but I don't think this is the same segment of film that I have seen, (from "Un Chien Andalou") at the Dali Museum on the Southbank, London, but it sounds typically weird! It has been a couple of years since I went there, and things may have changed?

I seem to recall that "The Brain of Alice Cooper" hologram, resides at the Dali Museum, Figueras. (Edit)

As you rightly say, the connection with Dali goes way back to their Art student days. I think they wanted "Geopoliticus Child" (Dali), for their first album cover at one point?

More information here http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/people/p-dali.php
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Gunner wrote:No, as opposed to just crediting any old 'like' on an album for the sake of it. Credits relate to the production of a work and the work fits in to a time scale. Unless he has wanted to credit Basil Fawlty on numerous albums!??
Apologies to Giles as I meant to quote his post above but hit edit by mistake. By the time I realized I'd deleted part of it. Sorry.

With respect, when it comes to "thank you" list the credits can be anything the artist wants them to be. They are *supposed* to relate to the album in question I suppose, but no one ever made it law.

They often include 'in jokes" for example, which probably also explains in part the series of credits for TV characters on AC albums.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:41 pm

>No, as opposed to just crediting any old 'like' on an album for the sake of it.

It's amazing that you still don't seem to understand something so simple. The answer that Si gave you is not substantially different to my very first reply to your question. You're taking something very ordinary and desperately trying to find a 'meaning' behind it.

>Credits relate to the production of a work and the work fits in to a time scale.

Who says so? I asked that yesterday and you never answered. Generally, what you say is true, but there is nothing to stop anyone giving anyone or anything a credit if they want to. I already referred to the other names that were given a credit on the subsequent albums, but you ignored those.

>Unless he has wanted to credit Basil Fawlty on numerous albums!??

What about the credits to Count Floyd, Barlow and Judge Wapner then? Also, Si's latest post explains things very well.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 pm

this is all very goofy. credits can be of ANYTHING for ANY REASON. have you not seen artists credit jack daniels? jeezuz.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

this is all very goofy. credits can be of ANYTHING for ANY REASON.
Yes, they can, I was just wondering what THAT REASON was, this is not meant to be a brain teaser.
have you not seen artists credit jack daniels?
Yes, that drink helped them get through the album....your point is?
It's amazing that you still don't seem to understand something so simple.
Well, just hope that you don't need emergency services some time soon pal, as I write the market leading software the gets them to you! Sorry, I bow down to your superior intellect on the very important matter of art credits. I appreciate that you appear to enjoy arguing, but I'd get focus your time and energy on something more constructive, may I suggest that you put your superb fanzine on the net Andy? I've still got the hard copies.

Credits for a piece of work are generally anything or anyone that deserves acknowledgement for a particular project, I was merely wondering about the unusual 'Basil Fawlty' credit on that work. I am sad that you feel it such a silly and senseless question of mine, I didn't mean to upset you, sorry. ::((:

However, I read somewhere (may still have the article from 1980 actually), that the reason for the credit on that album is that it is because the album had a very English feel to it and that eccentric English character inspired Alice in that way. I'll bet none of you knew that.

blackwidow2008
Trash
Trash

Post by blackwidow2008 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Well, just hope that you don't need emergency services some time soon pal, as I write the market leading software the gets them to you! Sorry, I bow down to your superior intellect on the very important matter of art credits. I appreciate that you appear to enjoy arguing, but I'd get focus your time and energy on something more constructive, may I suggest that you put your superb fanzine on the net Andy? I've still got the hard copies.

Credits for a piece of work are generally anything or anyone that deserves acknowledgement for a particular project, I was merely wondering about the unusual 'Basil Fawlty' credit on that work. I am sad that you feel it such a silly and senseless question of mine, I didn't mean to upset you, sorry. ::((:

However, I read somewhere (may still have the article from 1980 actually), that the reason for the credit on that album is that it is because the album had a very English feel to it and that eccentric English character inspired Alice in that way. I'll bet none of you knew that.
Blimey! It gets a bit heated in here!! Too many "experts" if you ask me! :laugh:

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:57 pm

blackwidow2008 wrote:Blimey! It gets a bit heated in here!! Too many "experts" if you ask me! :laugh:
some are and most aren't!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:10 pm

>Yes, they can, I was just wondering what THAT REASON was, this is not meant to be a brain teaser.

That question was already answered by Si and I - it's just that you don't like the answer and are the one who is turning the question into "a brain teaser".

>Yes, that drink helped them get through the album....your point is?

You know exactly which "point" mattcoddington is making.

>Well, just hope that you don't need emergency services some time soon pal, as I write the market leading software the gets them to you!

What does that have to do with album credits?

>Sorry, I bow down to your superior intellect on the very important matter of art credits.

Well it must be "important" enough to you since you asked about the Basil Fawlty credit.

>I appreciate that you appear to enjoy arguing,

Not at all. If anything I'm confused that someone who isn't stupid, is dragging out something very simple.

>but I'd get focus your time and energy on something more constructive,

Don't tell me what to do.

> that you put your superb fanzine on the net Andy? I've still got the hard copies.

Thanks for the kind words, but I really can't be bothered.

>Credits for a piece of work are generally anything or anyone that deserves acknowledgement for a particular project,

That's about the third time you've said that and both Si and mattcoddington have ALREADY told you that is not always the case! Why do you keep doing that?!

> I was merely wondering about the unusual 'Basil Fawlty' credit on that work.

Yes and both Si and I answered it.

>I am sad that you feel it such a silly and senseless question of mine

Don't put words in my mouth - I never said those things about your question. Stop being a martyr.

>However, I read somewhere (may still have the article from 1980 actually), that the reason for the credit on that album is that it is because the album had a very English feel to it and that eccentric English character inspired Alice in that way. I'll bet none of you knew that.

It depends who said that. If it was Alice, then fine. I'm still willing to bet it was just an acknowledgement of a television programme that he really liked.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:55 pm

>> that you put your superb fanzine on the net Andy? I've still got the hard copies.

It's already on the net and has been for at least a couple of years. My hand typed transciption of every issue is on Tony's site (unless he's removed it since I last looked).

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm

That site is currently "under construction."
Me = Winning

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:05 am

Ah, okay. Well it was there for a long time!

mortalli
Trash
Trash

Post by mortalli » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:34 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Is there any thanks to a TV-character on ZCS?

Barlow from "Salem's Lot" (I know he's originally from a book).
When ZCS came out, Alice was on a radio program that featured a character called "The Rock Pumpkin." Near the end of the show, Alice did a promo in which he claimed *he* was the Rock Pumpkin. They played "Tag, You're It" off the (then) new album and Alice told a story about being home, sick with the flu, and watching the (original) "'Salem's Lot" miniseries. He said that the first reveal of Barlow, "scared the hell out of [him]." Apparently, it made a lasting impact, alcohol and all.

I had recorded that show on a cassette tape that long since died. Anyone else remember it? Dare I hope anyone else has a copy in mp3 (or other electronic) format?

mort